Newbie needs help!

MikeGee

If you plan to hunt public land in Orange county, it depends on where for Rifle.

The largest tract is Sterling Forest, but some areas may not do well for rifle, nearby homes, roads, or thick woods and limited distance on the terrain. Stewart Buffer lands - no rifle.  it is by Stewart Airport, and planes fly over it everyday.  Not even a .22 for squirrel season.  Rifle is allowed at Storm King Mountain and parts of West Point (special permit required to hunt, which is only deer, need a 3P doe tag).

For an everything gun, go with either a 12 gauge, or 20 gauge magnum. Good for small game and can use rifled slugs for deer/bear.  If buy a combo (includes a 2 barrel that is rifled), use sabot slugs which puts it into a medium rifle range 120-160 yards.

First week of deer season, it is tough to get a spot a Stewart.  Sterling Forest, you need a permit for to hunt ($5) and first couple days of deer are for those who applied in early September.  No firearms allowed in Sterling until after Nov.1.

Goose Pond Mountain is a preserve, so no hunting there at all, same for orange County park land.

I have heard of permits for hunting by the county jail, but never looked into it.

Orange County is WMU 3M for deer doe tag.

Sterling Forest is WMU 3P deer doe tag.

Edited by Two Track
  • Like 2

If want access to private leased parcels, you would need to lease your own parcel or join a club.

Monroe Chester Gun Club, Woodbury Field and Stream, Shawagunk Fish and Game, etc.

http://www.ocfsc.org/site/lev/MEMBER-CLUBS.htm

The Catskills are about an hour away - can hunt there too.  If have some outdoor skills and equipment, can camp and hunt there.  Can't advise on where, haven't done that yet.

Pheasant is currently being stocked at Stewart and Sterling, and is popular activity until deer gun season starts.

If you want to try pheasant hunting, get some practice with clays.  You have to learn how and when to lead your shots depending on direction it flies.  Easier if you have a trained dog, but still do-able without one.

There a a few threads on here regarding what to carry when hunting, some things are must haves, others are personal choices and for comfort.

Must have:

• orange vest or jacket
  • orange hat
  • gloves for cold weather that work with you gun (some gloves are too bulky to fit inside some trigger guards)
  • good waterproof boots
  • hunting license
  • permit (for some parcels of land)
  • gun
  • ammo
  • knife
  • pen (fill out tag for deer/bear/turkey)
  • string to attach tags
  • Like 2

Google your area for gun shows and sportsmans clubs, sportsmans field days or open houses. Many clubs have membership booths, information booths at events. Many newspapers have sportsman/ outdoors columns with calendars of events. It is a great way to find out about potential clubs. Most are very welcoming to newbies, and can open a lot of doors. A .22 rimfire is inexpensive (and inexpensive to shoot) and a great way to work on your shooting skills, which perfectly overlap with any othr shooting. Good luck! It can seem like hunting is somewhat "closed" to outsiders who aren't raised into it, but with a bit of effort you will.

• Like 1

If want access to private leased parcels, you would need to lease your own parcel or join a club.

Monroe Chester Gun Club, Woodbury Field and Stream, Shawagunk Fish and Game, etc.

http://www.ocfsc.org/site/lev/MEMBER-CLUBS.htm

The Catskills are about an hour away - can hunt there too.  If have some outdoor skills and equipment, can camp and hunt there.  Can't advise on where, haven't done that yet.

Pheasant is currently being stocked at Stewart and Sterling, and is popular activity until deer gun season starts.

If you want to try pheasant hunting, get some practice with clays.  You have to learn how and when to lead your shots depending on direction it flies.  Easier if you have a trained dog, but still do-able without one.

There a a few threads on here regarding what to carry when hunting, some things are must haves, others are personal choices and for comfort.

Must have:

• orange vest or jacket
  • orange hat
  • gloves for cold weather that work with you gun (some gloves are too bulky to fit inside some trigger guards)
  • good waterproof boots
  • hunting license
  • permit (for some parcels of land)
  • gun
  • ammo
  • knife
  • pen (fill out tag for deer/bear/turkey)
  • string to attach tags

Only thing missing from this list is a flashlight.

Read as much as possible on hunting. Ask questions and never be afraid to ask a question. The web can help you get the basics down, but being in the woods and gaining experience is the biggest help you can get.

Good luck.

• Like 2

There is an indoor range, Davis's Sport Shop in Goshen.  I think they have a few different guns that you can test drive before you buy.  They normally have a large stock of new/used in their Sloatsburg location if you haven't purchased a gun yet.

Don't spend a lot on gear until you have been hunting a few times and decide if you enjoy it or not.

Pre-season and after season is a good time to buy, but do some homework first before buying to make sure it is good stuff, and not crappy items left-over at end of the year sales.  My current gear has been acquired over the past 8-10 years.  The turkey stuff is over the past 3 years.  So no rush once you have your basics. 

If budget is tight, some stuff can be gotten at yard sales, as people stop hunting, out-grew, or stopped hunting certain game, or need to down-size the amount of gear they have.  I have even seen hunting knives in a pawn/estate-sale shop.

If you will be carrying a magnetic compass while hunting, don't put it in a vest with magnetic pocket flaps.  Compass may become off by 180 degrees - not fun when off-trail in a new area while trying to align a map.  Also, dirt also tends to stick around the magnetic clasps.  Keep that in mind while looking for a hunting vest.  But it is all personal choice.

Also buy a hunting vest big - plan on layering clothes for warmth.  Figure at least 1 size up if buying a game carrying vest (for gear and room for rabbit/squirrel/pheasant/quail/grouse/woodcock).  Even if not small game hunting, it is useful for carrying an extra sweatshirt, or to put in a layer when the day warms up to not have to sweat it out.

We could probably meet up sometime.

• Like 2

Its a big thread so if it was already posted disregard. Id def go with a 12 gauge to start. They sell combo guns with a smooth bore and iron sight barrel. Mossberg 500 and remington 870 are two that come to mind right away. Id go shotgun before rifle just cause it gives you more options as far as game you can hunt. And you can use shotguns across the state, where you cant use rifles everywhere

• Like 1

Its a big thread so if it was already posted disregard. Id def go with a 12 gauge to start. They sell combo guns with a smooth bore and iron sight barrel. Mossberg 500 and remington 870 are two that come to mind right away. Id go shotgun before rifle just cause it gives you more options as far as game you can hunt. And you can use shotguns across the state, where you cant use rifles everywhere

Thanks diplomat019! This has all REALLY been a BIG help. I've felt so lost trying to find my way but now that I reached my goal of getting a license, I now can focus on a new goal, of getting a 12 gauge! I'm going to look into the two you mentioned.

Thanks all again!

Welcome to the forum Mike. Two track knows the area well, and his advice and locations is spot on.

If you do decide to get a rifle for 3M, avoid Stewart State Forest as it's not allowed.

Lots of DMP's available for 3M, none for 3P.

I can't stress enough about practicing by going to the range and shoot as much as you can. Davis, Blue Mountain, and gun clubs should have ranges to satisfy your shooting needs.

I went with a .243 Win to cover most NY game that is allowed by rifle. A 12GA shotgun would really cover everything. I also have a small rimfire 17HMR for small game.

Would be happy to meet up at the range to do some shooting sometime.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 1

I'm a former city boy that moved to the country. I became very interested in hunting and did the work to get my license. Now I feel like I'm in limbo because I'm stuck on what to do next. I suppose I'll go to a range and shoot but I don't have any friends to help me along the way. I would love to make some hunting buddies to mentor me and guide me. I'm very much a beginner and need help finding my way. Anything I know, I've read in magazines and websites or saw on TV shows. Any suggestions?

First, don't get too worried about going it alone.  I come from a non-hunting family and had to learn the ropes all by myself until I was much older.  I had great fun doing it and it gives me great satisfaction that I learned on my own.

I also know that you need to be very careful about who you get to mentor you.  Many very friendly people who call themselves "hunters" scoff at the rules and could lead you astray.  Had I gotten my "education" where I now live, I too would probably become a scofflaw.  Things are pretty loosey goosey up here and I don't agree with them or hunt that way.

What I'm getting at is by reading and taking the DEC courses it's hard to develop bad habits.  Unlike my day, these days there is a wealth of information available on line.  Like here, read the posts and you'll get a good idea of how to behave.

Get to know how people hunt before really linking up with them.  Generally, older hunters who have no need to prove themselves are a better bet.  There's a recent thread the past two days that shows a self described "newbie" with an unjustified handle (he made a bad shot) who wanted a deer, shot after legal (and  ethical) time and is now paying for it.

If you're uncomfortable at any time with how your "mentor" or "new friends" are hunting or ignoring the rules, change them.

Just my experience.

• Like 1

I have hunted off and on since I was 11 or 12 - different state and on family farm (now gone).

Since I moved to NY, I am on public land and always checking the regs.  So don't be afraid to not shoot if you are not sure of the time, season, etc.  I have not pulled the trigger, and found out that something did not have a season in NY (like Doves), and found out something else was in season, and couldn't relocate one the next day.  Always play it safe.  If unsure, don't do it. It is a learning process just like everything else.

For the first 4 years, I kept a copy of the regulations for NY in my vehicle to double check with every time I went out hunting.

I carry a copy of the seasons and limits with me in my vest or jacket.

You can print out a copy of the sunrise/sunset times for NY to carry with you to verify legal shooting times.

Thanks guys! It's all helpful information!

Do you recommend starting with a rifle or shotgun? I always just assumed a rifle would be best. What type of rile is best for a newbie like me?

.243, .260, 7mm08 are all a great beginner caliber. My daughter uses a 7mm08, and loves it, as she is a beginner herself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tons of good info here , My mossburg 500AT 12ga is prolly 30 years old and runs smoother then melted butter.

got a 10 pt buck last year for first year of rifle in my county with a ww2 russian mosin nagant (profile photo) fun shooting rifle for 150 bucks and 13 bucks for silver bear ammo. 150 bucks for 440 rounds of mil surplus for it.  just won a savage 270 rifle this yr and will be using that this season.

• Like 1

My mossburg 500AT has iron sights on it , cyl bore barrel , 50 yrds its 2 inches high with slugs.

I can toss a scope on it and dont any issues with going out to 100 yrds easy ..

at the skeet range so for its a 24 out of 25 smashed clays .. with #8 shot

Edited by JimMac

Don't be afraid to invest some time small-game hunting. Hunting for squirrels (very edible good tasting meat) will teach you a lot about stealth and patience as well as shooting under pressure. Also while being out, you will likely see deer, and simple observation of deer can be a powerful tool in learning how to hunt them. A lot of us started out hunting the lowly squirrel .... lol.

• Like 3

I learn to shoot on running rabbits that were chased out by my great-uncle's hunting dogs (he usually ran a pack of 4-6 dogs).

Easier clean-up taking head shot at small game when they are sitting still. Other-wise clean out the shot/pellets in the body before cooking.

Oven roasted squirrel with potatoes and onions isn't bad either.

Squirrels, turkeys, and deer do sometimes feed in the same areas.  Hunting one, may provide some insight on hunting the others (look for tracks, scrapes, rubs, beds, scat, dusting bowls, and foods)

. Anything I know, I've read in magazines and websites or saw on TV shows. Any suggestions?

I know this is discouraging, but those sources only exist to sell you something, whether a product, a service, or an ideology. Believe me they have shaped the evolution of hunting to its present form. You probably sense that, because you are looking for people for info.

The buyer beware applies to consuming media too, not just a physical product. A consensus in the world of hunting does not mean you arrived at fact, but some marketing scheme works good. 

You need to take your advice from a public land hunter. But I wouldn't expect anyone to show you exact locations of game or where to hunt, unless you team up and hunt together, which people do.

I would look to the DEC for info. If you can stand it, you might just target shoot for a year, learn about wildlife and the land, and perhaps hunting dogs. Most people dont they take their course and go, but I ma not sure if thats best. Try the DEC, like I said.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips, Mike Rossi! The more I learn about hunting, the more I realize I have A LOT to learn! In my mind, my timeline is to save up for a good shotgun, go to the range and get very comfortable with it, hopefully meet good people along the way and maybe by next fall, go out with some people for my first hunt. At least, that's what I'm hoping for, best case scenario.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

If you're on a budget, the Mossberg with interchangeable barrels is a great starter that'll allow you to hunt pretty much everything in the northeast.  If you're looking to just hunt big game (deer and bear), look into an H&R Ultra Slug Hunter in 20 gauge.

Shooting a shotgun is nothing like shooting a rifle. However, sometimes a shotgun is used like a rifle as in deer and turkey hunting. Most people learn to shoot a rifle with a 22 caliber or an air rifle. When that is mastered, there is not much difficulty transferring over to a high power deer rifle or shotgun loaded with a slug. In hunting turkey, you will shoot a shotgun rifle style, but you will be using regular shotgun ammo, not single projectile ammo. Someone can teach you about rifle shooting in a few minutes. Then you need to practice a bit, but not much.

Shooting a shotgun is much different. It takes longer to master shotgun shooting and it is best to take lessons from a certified instructor. Shotgun shooting in the context I am speaking involves shooting moving targets with a shot shell opposed to shooting a rifle at stationary target with a single projectile. (Again shotguns can be loaded with a single projectile and vice versa, but for clarity lets just say rifle shooting and shotgun shooting). 

For "shotgun shooting" I recommend you take a few lessons and then continue to practice at the range for some time. In my opinion an over and under shotgun is best, safest, and most reliable.I am not sure about shooting single projectiles from an over and under, although it certainly is possible. However, a breech gun has many advantages, one of which is it allows you to easily inspect the barrel. Single shot breech action shotguns designed for single projectiles are available, but some hunters want more than a one shot. 

There is a guy based in NYC who has classes for new deer hunters. I hate to refer him, because I plan to enter the same business venture at some point, but he can be found on the web under Locavore Hunter, I forgot his name, but you can find him with a google search. I have no idea how good he is and I know nothing about him except what I read online.  

• Like 1

H&R slug gun is a good gun. 

My dad just deer hunts these days. He bought the H&R 20 gauge magnum with heavy barrel, sling and scope and hasn't missed a shot in 5 years with it.  We are talking 60-140 yards and getting multiple deer every year.  Even a couple 2-in-1 shots.

Nice gun, just a little heavy.  Very loud, so wear hearing protection if you pick one up.

His Remington 12 gauge semi-auto he bought when he was just a teenager is retired due to the H&R slug gun.

Mo matter what gun you pick, I suggest asking the the salesperson to show you how to at least break it part-way down for cleaning.the barrel.

For cleaning and maintenance ease in the order of easy to difficult (IMO):

• break-action (single or double barrel)
  • semi-auto
  • pump
  • bolt-action
  • lever-action

Like a car, try before you buy.  If it doesn't fit well or seem to handle comfortably, look at something else.

Awkward at a range, we be more awkward afield, especially after adding layers to keep warm while deer hunting.

If on a tight budget, there is nothing wrong with a good used firearm.

Well built, well maintained ones last a life-time or more.

There are many people deer/bear/elk hunting with a WWII era M1 Garand or Moisin-Nagent for instance.

• Like 2