150' rule

crappyice

Do vertical feet count???

So I have access to a 3s property that has a narrow strip of woods which is located on a plateau (for lack of a better word). Where I would set up is right on a cliff edge and straight below is a residence/auto garage. I ranged the roof of the structure below-65 yards=195'....all good right?

By the way I doubt I will actually hunt this due to other factors but just curious of the legalities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks...however that response is crazy to me since it's a rule/law. Shouldn't it be a standard black and white ruling? No slam on you buckmaster-I agree with your advice and ambiguity. My frustration lies in the fact that I want to play by the book but the book is then interpreted by officers who have different OPINIONS (which should be irrelevant when enforcing a law).

In a different case I could not get an officer's "blessing" to discharge a firearm in a certain area(not 3s). He said something to the effect of "I don't see anything in the books that says you can't fire a shotgun...but I bet if you do you will be visited by law enforcement." That's not a comforting answer since I don't want to/shouldn't have to defend my actions if I have done nothing wrong according to the books.

Doc I get it but if the person enforcing the law is equally ignorant(not due to his/her intelligence but due to the vagueness of the law) we are all ignorant even if we know what is says....holy $hit- I have not idea what I just said!!!! That's how crazy this is

Edited by crappyice

Doc I get it but if the person enforcing the law is equally ignorant(not due to his/her intelligence but due to the vagueness of the law) we are all ignorant even if we know what is says....holy $hit- I have not idea what I just said!!!! That's how crazy this is

No, you are exactly right. Sometimes you can read the same law that the judge or ECO, or JP is reading and everyone comes out with a different interpretation. Your guilt or innocence is declared after someone in authority decides their interpretation. It doesn't matter whether you actually interpreted the law correctly or not according to the original authors. You can still have the honor of paying the fine and whatever other penalties that they can decide to levy against you.

• Like 2

I would go with HORIZONTAL distance. all other aspects of code and law are in horizontal distance. (set backs from property lines for a shed or structure) I can't see why this would be any different. You may get an officer that give a break based on the slope distance but to me it isn't worth it. Especially since you could end up in front of a judge that isn't a hunter and deals in precedence.

• Like 2

Cul...how do I get accurate horizontal distance if when from the cliff edge I see nothing but treetops 100 yards away. I hit no structure with a range finder...it goes right over the top!

I know what you mean but in this case it doesn't hold true.

By the way, I would never shoot in the direction of the structure (unless hunting bully goats or Spider-Man in westchester). I wonder if that should be in consideration when bow hunting

Cul...how do I get accurate horizontal distance if when from the cliff edge I see nothing but treetops 100 yards away. I hit no structure with a range finder...it goes right over the top!

I know what you mean but in this case it doesn't hold true.

By the way, I would never shoot in the direction of the structure (unless hunting bully goats or Spider-Man in westchester). I wonder if that should be in consideration when bow hunting

estimate the angle and shot to the top of the ridge and the horizontal can be calculated (TRIG) . then the level part to your stand.

or if you have some features you can find on Google earth to locate your stand (or a coordinate) it has measuring tools. will be fairly close. close enough to let you know if you are dancing on that fine line and need to get more info.

I see you have a ranged distance in the OP. any guess on the angle from horizontal?

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1