Weather

Hunter716

I have off Thur-Sun this week and it's supposed to be in the upper 60's on Thurs and Fri in my area. Just curious on whats ppls take on temperature affecting the rut. I'm going hunting regardless but just curious if it will things slow down when it's warm or when it's on, it's on, regardless of temp. I'm seeing good signs now (scrapes, rubs, lite chasing from young bucks)it will be interesting to see what happens this upcoming week.

• Like 1

I am hearing alot of wishful thinking around, people brainwashing themselves  thinking the rut does not change when the weather is warm.  Yes deer still rut(it is usually at dark anyway) but when it is this warm during the daytime your generally not gonna see much activity.  When it is this warm, the deer do not eat that much and when they do not have to eat they do not have to move and even if a doe is hot she is probably gonna lay down in this warm weather and the buck will just lay near her and wait for her to get up.  There is not gonna be endless chasing in 70 degree weather.

• Like 2

I am hearing alot of wishful thinking around, people brainwashing themselves thinking the rut does not change when the weather is warm. Yes deer still rut(it is usually at dark anyway) but when it is this warm during the daytime your generally not gonna see much activity. When it is this warm, the deer do not eat that much and when they do not have to eat they do not have to move and even if a doe is hot she is probably gonna lay down in this warm weather and the buck will just lay near her and wait for her to get up. There is not gonna be endless chasing in 70 degree weather.

I think there is a lot of truth to what is said here......

With the warmer weather coming in do you think the Bucks will be moving?

Probably not mid day... the rut is not in full swing so most of the movement will be in the cooler early mornings before the sun gets higher in the sky...then maybe as it cools down just before last light. Bucks will be doing what the does do... and the does will not like moving around in the warmer parts of the day. But at night the pre rut activity still goes on. I'll be in the woods anyway during the day.. can't kill 'em at work or from the couch.

I am hearing alot of wishful thinking around, people brainwashing themselves  thinking the rut does not change when the weather is warm.  Yes deer still rut(it is usually at dark anyway) but when it is this warm during the daytime your generally not gonna see much activity.  When it is this warm, the deer do not eat that much and when they do not have to eat they do not have to move and even if a doe is hot she is probably gonna lay down in this warm weather and the buck will just lay near her and wait for her to get up.  There is not gonna be endless chasing in 70 degree weather.

I don't think anyone said it doesn't change with the warmer weather... just that it still happens in spite of everything. Just because it doesn't happen when we want it to doesn't mean it still doesn't happen. I would say it's more that hunters think the weather is stopping the rut... when actually it could prolong it.