Which Two Way Radio?

JFB

I was wondering who is using Two Way radio brands other than Motorola?

I have been using a Radio Shack brand radio that are about 10 years old and no longer made... but they were great. Now radio shack only carries Motorola and I've not been real impressed. Seems like you really lose some clarity when the ear piece is in and that never happened with the old Radio Shacks.

I see in the Bass Pro catalog a brand named "Midland". They have a pair for $100 that is rated up to 36 miles (which obviously is not what you'd get in the woods). I also see a "Cobra" brand in the catalog. Any one use either of those?

Any other brands I should consider? Thanks.

I had a good set of Midlands until I left one on my rear truck bumper . Slid off when I turned the driveway corner and a passing vehicle ran over it .

I have since used Motorolas with good luck . I had a total of six and my son lost one of them . We use to use them when I hunted in Italy Valley as cell phone coverage was bad ( no towers . I havn't used them in about 3 years .

I just pulled my radios out of the cupboard to see what model they are . Motorola Talk-About T5820 . They have a range of 5 miles . The newer ones have a much longer range . I would guess the range wold be on flat groung with no interferance . Anyway 2 of my radios had batteries still in them . I turned them on and they were fine . I'll take the batteries out before putting them back .

I think my Motorolas had a price of $60 7 - 8 years ago but I bought them when Gander Mt had them for $20 a pair .

They worked fine for our needs

We used the radios to let the others know we were situated in the stand , were moving to another spot or got a hit and was tracking a deer . We would set the radios on vibe and if say I buzzed someone , I wasn't to talk until I got a return . That way , if one of us had a deer nearby , we wouldn't be spooking it by talking on the radio .

I have midlands with 18 mile range.  They work well.  I also have a pair of uniden which my daughter got me for chritmas one year. They have a 22 mile range. I doubt they would ever carry that far, bit we have used them when a person was lost and could no thear a vehicle horn at camp, but when we fired a rifle, he could barely hear it, but we talked on the radios clear as could be.  I also have ear buds for them, so outside noise is minimal when talking. In the modern technonlgy age, we text each other more than use radios. 

WE use to use motorola's but have since basicaly switched to a quick text on a cell phone. the only time we use radio's now is late muzzleloder on our annual deer drive, just to  let everone know we are starting and ending, the older models seem clearer with earbuds while the newer ones seem to drop out even with their extended range..

We use a set of midlands for work we use them everyday for 4-8 hours a day.  I am a surveyor so they get wet dropped stepped on etc.  They are by far the best radio's that we have had since we stopped buying the real expensive two way radios (300-400 dollars range).  We tried the motorolas 3-4 different models and everyone had button,battery problems.  I wouldn't ever by a pair again.  The midlands cost the same for a pair of two.