I'm going to whine a little

nodeerhere

It was a huge buck body and rack! And puddles of blood and spray all over the trees. Also the dog didn't help me! That deer would have laid there and died! And I'm pretty sure that I would have heard a shot if he put it down. I mean 200 yrds is a pretty good distance but I'm pretty sure I'd have heard a shotgun go off. And I bow hunt every day I can and ine shot bucks with an arrow! Thru both lungs and had them go a 100yrds or more to find them dead at the end of the blood trail!

It was gun season?...I learned to anchor with a well placed shoulder shot drops them in their tracks....you may loose a little meat...but it's better than a whole deer

I have shot deer through the heart in the Alfred hills and had them running dead as it where...100 +ft feet down hill...

• Like 1

Well thanks for having my back guys on how far a fatally wounded deer can go. And I try to also hit the front shoulders! But I figured a lung shot was going to be best because this deer was massive. Looked like a horse in the woods. I didn't want to take the chance of blowing the shot! And look where that got me! Anyhow I was shooting a smooth bore 12 ga with Remington sluggers. I figured the lung shot would be safe and if I hit the shoulder maybe it wouldn't have mad it thru. Idk. Either way it don't really matter

Sorry bud, but I'm not jumping on the bandwagon here.  If you "killed" that deer, it would have been dead.  Not alive and running off to where ever.  Maybe you fatally wounded it, maybe you just wounded it.  Maybe your neighbor actually killed the deer.  Maybe it expired on his land without an additional shot required.  We'll never know.  Its hunting.

I dont know why everything on this site has to turn into a pissing match.  Into a "I would've done this, you should've done that. Im right, youre wrong,".  Bottom line, you shot an incredible animal and lost it, fault being irrelevant, and now you have a bitter memory that you'll never be able to forget.  If you're anything like me, it will haunt you forever and stay fresh in your mind for years to come.  It will jump to the front of your mind and make you cringe at the strangest most random times too, and everytime it will suck as much as the last.

I dont know why everything on this site has to turn into a pissing match.  Into a "I would've done this, you should've done that. Im right, youre wrong,".  Bottom line, you shot an incredible animal and lost it, fault being irrelevant, and now you have a bitter memory that you'll never be able to forget.  If you're anything like me, it will haunt you forever and stay fresh in your mind for years to come.  It will jump to the front of your mind and make you cringe at the strangest most random times too, and everytime it will suck as much as the last.

Finally guessed your job: Motivational Speaker!

Edited by The_Real_TCIII

He's right! I may have messed up sum how! And everything turns into a pissing match here! I joined the site because I thought there were some decent fellow hunters on here! Ha!! Guess I was mistaken. There's a few. But the rest of u guys I'm glad my property's aren't near yours! Sounds like is be out of a lot of deer! And yes I forget about it time to time.. But then all the sudden I think about it and it puts me in a bad spot and I just feel like taking up another hobby. And for those of u who under stand and are on my side. Thank you.

• Like 1

BTW that wasn't a critisim...as many of the guys here know..I have been there and I live and also hunt on the sides of steep hills...so 36+ years of experiance taught me that . I was just passing it along..Also if your worried about shoulder shots...I shoot a 20ga, smooth 28" bore, bead sight, 3 1/2 in mag shells and dropped both buck and doe out past 100yrds ...with shoulder shots..

You should be fine with a 12ga....IMO