New to bear hunting...looking for advice

G-Man

Well i guess i need to learn how to hunt bear as they are becoming much more common in my area. I had 2 bear i believe were 2yr old cubs decide to eat my 3d archery targets,several time this fall. And  have had a large bear tear up a blind.. As well as trail cams pics of at least 2 others. So baiting is not legal here and thats all i seem to find info on. As well as spring season hunting over bait. So How do you hunt bears in the fall!!! Any and all Advice would be appreciated!

Well i guess i need to learn how to hunt bear as they are becoming much more common in my area. I had 2 bear i believe were 2yr old cubs decide to eat my 3d archery targets,several time this fall. And  have had a large bear tear up a blind.. As well as trail cams pics of at least 2 others. So baiting is not legal here and thats all i seem to find info on. As well as spring season hunting over bait. So How do you hunt bears in the fall!!! Any and all Advice would be appreciated!

How much property do you have?

I own 174 acres and have access to another 400 or so.

Typically a sow without cubs or a boar will be covering quite a bit of territory. Food sources will be the key if there is a resident bear. 500-600 acres is a great size area to hunt but depending on the make up...could be small to hold a huntable bear. Most taken in NY are a byproduct of deer hunting. A very underlooked attractant for bear is standing corn.

On the property I hunt up north the farmer won't put corn in these 2 field anymore because of the loss to the bears. They had about 5 acres layed flat in the middle out of the 30 that were planted...lol

one attractant I have used and seen used to some very good success...Honey burns. that sicky sweet smell carries like you wouldn't believe.

If you are able and have the good fortune of some snow...tracking is probably the best bet.

Well i believe that the corn i plant for the wildlife is why there were so many here this year.. i have 6 acres of standing in one field and 2 1/2 in another. Had the 2 cubs at 25yrds while bow hunting deer but they were together and regs state no bears in groups... Had a big one up and active untill 2-3 days into muzzleloader i tracked it to an old house trailer..i believe it denned under it but wasn't about to look under...tracks went in but not out. any tips on estimating size/weight .here's the last pic i had of what i call a big one.

post-2018-131455398967_thumb.jpg

Bear are the toughest thing to estimate. Based on the ears and head relation.....I would say 200 live weight. I would rather take a look at the tracks if you wanted to better estimate the size of the bears on your property.

That bear under the trailer would have been a great candidate for a honey burn up wind from it.

Sometimes you only get a quick second to guess the age. 

What you want to see is short ears that look small on the head, not long like those on a German Shepard. 

Then you want to see a fat, low hanging belly, almost dragging on the ground.  Not a flat belly like you see on a German Shepard. 

The bear should appear to have short legs and short snout also.

If you see all that, shoot!

• 3 weeks later...

I've checked with several EOC...and any scent attractant over 1 1/2 liquid/fluid ounces is illegal here in NY

So here's the tip a ECO gave me....when taking a scent and soaking it into say scent free cotton strips...the scent  you used is no longer in liquid/fluid form :) ...get it?...Also any food not for human consumption is illegal...

He told me he has seen guys start a fire and put a slow cooking breakfast on to cook....bacon...eggs...then go sit in their blind...a couple yards away...there is no law against cooking breakfast in the woods...as long as..it's edible if the ECO arrives :) ...Me I'd rather be in a tree!!

I save bacon and grill grease...take smoking chips sold for grills...heat up grease mix good and hot...then pour it over the very dry smoking chips and let it all soak in....then take one of those cheap tail gate grills...clear a wide spot to dirt...light the chips cover with grill grate and climb in stand...just make sure your wearing gloves to handle anything.....with the honey burn ..I soak scent free old tee shirt strips ..I've soaked in honey put on a layer of smoking chips to light...this way I have a longer lasting scent ...smoke trail...I also look for honey trees...we have a very old large active honey tree they hit.....These tips were from a REG 9 Capt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A black bear isn't as hard to kill as what you may think. Yes you need some umph behind the round,but a quallity bullet and proper shot placement are key. I would have no problem taking my Knight for bear with 2 trple 7 pellets and a Barnes head.I would though,limit my shot to a max of 150yrds. That would be my personal limit. Others here may easily feel ok with a 200yrd shot with more powder etc. Placement and a quality round along with how confident you are with your rifle all make the difference.

According to the outfitter all shots are under 75 yds. over bait. I know I can shoot that, I took 2 bucks this year 1 ranged at 112 yds. the other at 92 yds.

at that range any deer round will be fine. My preference from the rifles listed before would be the 30-06. but the 270 would be fine. Any ML set up and loaded for deer will work on that set up. Comfortable clothes so you can sit .....and the best money you will spend will be a thermacell to keep the black flies and skeeters away. First time I went up to CA for a bait bear hunt they told me the morning stands and evening are best. I had a big bear working the bait before I got there. I left the woods at 11 for lunch and was back at 2.....He hit it then and never came back the rest of the week. I learned my lesson the second year I went up there and sat full days in the blind.

Good luck and have a good taxidermist picked out before you go. :O