Why do some not respect

bowtech2

while I have never been a big fan of public display of dead deer  I understand the different thoughts on it.

some people don't have a truck so they have no choice but to somehow get their deer home, whether in their trunk, cargo carrier or on the outside of the vehicle and with the ticks if I had a car or suv it would certainly be on the outside of the vehicle.

basically we have 3 classification groups of people in regards to the sport of hunting.

1. Hunters.

2. Anti hunters/animal rights folks.

3. folks that are middle of the fence, not animal rightists, not hunters, not against hunting.

its not that we need to be hiding our kills from the anti hunters because no matter what we do we are not going to sway their thoughts.  they are a smaller majority in percentage than hunters.

so now we have probably the largest group the folks that are on the fence,  THOSE are the people that we need to concern ourselves with, by our actions as hunters WE have the greatest possibility of putting them on one side or the other and chances are displaying a dead deer on a car with blood all over the car or by making a mockery of the kill will more than likely just add more numbers to the anti side.

nobody is saying we should not be proud of our sport and heritage, I think what people would like is respect for the sport and the animal ALONG with other people.  people say its where our food comes from its part of the process,,,,, there is far more beef, chicken, pork consumed worldwide on a daily basis than venison,, so whens the last time you saw a dead cow on a car, a dead pig, chicken etc.   you don't see pictures of dead cows hanging in peoples yards.

Folks will do what they want, myself even as a lifelong hunter am appalled at some of the public displays of deer in a manner that makes me as a hunter and sportsman feel embarrassed to be lumped into the same group. All I am saying is we do not need to hide the fact that we are hunters, but just because we are hunters does not mean we need to disrespect the animals, other people and more importantly the heritage of hunting.

• Like 3

One of the best parts of NY is the diversity. Up where I am from I have never thought of it the way many on here do. It's a way of life up here and people are either part of it or used to it. I can imagine if someone from downstate had a deer hanging from a tree in their front yard it would draw some attention as it does up here just for different reasons when my neighbors go by and see a deer in my "deer tree" in the yard they often stop by to see it and talk about it, just as I do if they have one hanging.

• Like 2

Last year I butchers three deer in my suburban backyard. I have 5 neighbors all within seeing distance of my processing area (doubles as fire pit and sitting area when no deer are hanging!!!)when deer are hung from the tree. 4 of the 5 at some point came over and started to ask questions. All started with real apprehension and some "poor Bambi" comments. All that changed when the grill was fired up and some fresh steaks wee prepared. Now two of my neighbors are rooting hardest for my success and volunteered their help for any cuts I will throw their way. Those are some of those middle of the road people who were easily won over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very opinionated topic of corse. I for one am thankful for every deer and respect the life that's lost. Do my best to recover as much meat, take high percentage shits and help track wounded deer. I like good clean tasteful pics and humble hunters.

I'm not sure 30 years ago I'd be any different, but fact is we live in a different world. You may not like it, but need to accept it.

Very opinionated topic of corse. I for one am thankful for every deer and respect the life that's lost. Do my best to recover as much meat, take high percentage shits and help track wounded deer. I like good clean tasteful pics and humble hunters.

I'm not sure 30 years ago I'd be any different, but fact is we live in a different world. You may not like it, but need to accept it.

Belo ---- You made me spit coffee ! What are "high percentage shits" ?  :rofl:

• Like 2

Belo ---- You made me spit coffee ! What are "high percentage shits" ?  :rofl:

They are shits that you will have enough toilet paper for.  The low percentage ones are where you might run out of toilet paper and then some of you need to start using socks, handkerchiefs, underwear, hats, etc. to clean your butts off! LOL

Reel time , that was one of the best posts I've read in a long time here.

I say this though, I used to bring one home to hang in my suburban yard , for the sole reason to show neighbors that I'm a hunter. We come and go in the dark , cover our deer and so forth , some folks would never know they live among hunters.

I think I'm a good neighbor , keep up the yard and house , welcome new people with a gift ,always lending a hand , snow blowing their driveways. I want to show them the nice old guy on the corner is a hunter .

I've also had kids come up to "look at it" that's a wonderful opportunity to explain a few things to them .

Oh and now sense both our kids are off our payroll, I'm thinking off buying a truck .

• Like 1

I look at it this way.  I wouldn't want some vegan behind me on the check out lane telling me how I shouldn't buy or eat meat while I am buying it at the supermarket, so I won't be making it a point that I am a hunter by displaying a deer carcass on top of my vehicle for everyone to see.  I can't stand people who get in my face for a cause or issue, so I surely won't do the same to others.

Reel time , that was one of the best posts I've read in a long time here.

I say this though, I used to bring one home to hang in my suburban yard , for the sole reason to show neighbors that I'm a hunter. We come and go in the dark , cover our deer and so forth , some folks would never know they live among hunters.

I think I'm a good neighbor , keep up the yard and house , welcome new people with a gift ,always lending a hand , snow blowing their driveways. I want to show them the nice old guy on the corner is a hunter .

I've also had kids come up to "look at it" that's a wonderful opportunity to explain a few things to them .

Oh and now sense both our kids are off our payroll, I'm thinking off buying a truck .

thanks Larry,   all my neighbors know I hunt and several of them always stop over this time of the year when they see lights on in the shop.  some neighbors are not real big on hunting and I don't hold that against them and will be the first to be there to help them when they are in need of help, I always keep them in mind when returning from a successful hunt just to keep peace in the neighborhood.

Every year with a deer on back of car on carrier I get people flipping me the bird as I'm driving it to processor. Some thumbs up but mostly one fingered salutes.

I gave a thumbs up to a guy on sunday crossing the throgs neck bridge.  Had a nice buck on the back of his truck, wish I saw more of that.