Rain/windy

Dom

How do you hunt on the rainy/windy day's?I ask because I'm a sitter do you find it best to gear up and go in at or before what would be sunrise-or wait until sunrise and start your hunt.Most deer movement is slow durring the rain so I have been told but I seen  plenty deer up and browsing in the rain.

Rain and wind I walk more than any other time....wind in face soft ground binos or scope to glass thru some of my favorite days

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

You are joking about using your scope for viewing I hope.

• Like 3

I don't want to sound like an A$$ but there is a huge difference with bino's there is no chance at causing any harm or shooting a target not intended.With a gun/firearm/scope we all risk the chance in an accident/shot.I guess I was taught differently than some A scope is for shooting and not viewing also we have a lot of new hunters that will get wrong ideas as to how to properly use equipment.

• Like 4

How would you feel if you were walking down a trail and someone was viewing your every move through the scope of their firearm?nervous I hope

First hugggge difference between glassing a hill and watching a person thru a scope....second I was taught finger off trigger and saftey on until ready to shoot and backstop has been I'd....I'm not blind to begin with and can pick up and pumpkin further than most can shoot....and to be honest if you don't wear orange during gun season your causing more risk than me looking over a hillside thru my scope

First hugggge difference between glassing a hill and watching a person thru a scope....second I was taught finger off trigger and saftey on until ready to shoot and backstop has been I'd....I'm not blind to begin with and can pick up and pumpkin further than most can shoot....and to be honest if you don't wear orange during gun season your causing more risk than me looking over a hillside thru my scope

I'm not blind myself yes always saftey on till ready to shoot. Not Wearing orange or any other color is causing more risk?Like I said a Scope is for shooting not for viewing you are giving the new hunters/a wrong idea.You hunt your way and use what you think is the best option.

• Like 3

Why carry the extra weight if I have a scoped gun?

I am not going to try to convince you that you are doing it wrong - using the wrong tool for the job.

So this is intended for others reading this thread.

Never use a rifle scope to identify your target.

The number one rule of firearm safety is:

1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

This is the primary rule of gun safety. A safe direction means that the gun is pointed so that even if it were to go off it would not cause injury or damage. The key to this rule is to control where the muzzle or front end of the barrel is pointed at all times. Common sense dictates the safest direction, depending on different circumstances.

Edited by incognito
  • Like 1

Dom sorry for derailing you thread...but this is insane....so by thoughts posted when your sitting on ground or in tree your gun muzzle is always pointed at the ground....if you say yes I call BS if you actually do I applaud you. But most if not all of us sit with our weapons on out laps with barrel one side or other or in stand with shooting rail with it positioned toward expected shot path, this is no different...I'd assume more ND happen from a gun laying on a lap or bar than in the hands of a competent operator looking thru a scope. If I'm wrong then I am but I doubt it. Looking thru a scope at a hillside is no more dangerous than hiking around with a gun on your back loaded with saftey on pointing straight in the air....witch is also a unsafe muzzle direction...I am not saying binos are not the way to go bc they are but I try and carry the least amount of weight as possible and everything adds something.

Again sorry for derailing your thread let's hear some more rain tactics

I have a full rainset that I use not the quitest but when worn under my outer larey helps myself sit or be out longer.like I have done for 23 years of deer hunting My buddy's and family still keep asking me how can you sit and be out all day and not get cold.I was just looking for other ideas for rainy/windy days in the wood's

I have a full rainset that I use not the quitest but when worn under my outer larey helps myself sit or be out longer.like I have done for 23 years of deer hunting My buddy's and family still keep asking me how can you sit and be out all day and not get cold.I was just looking for other ideas for rainy/windy days in the wood's

When u wear your rain gear underneath does the outer layer get saturated and become heavy? Never heard that before.

Dom sorry for derailing you thread...but this is insane....so by thoughts posted when your sitting on ground or in tree your gun muzzle is always pointed at the ground....if you say yes I call BS if you actually do I applaud you. But most if not all of us sit with our weapons on out laps with barrel one side or other or in stand with shooting rail with it positioned toward expected shot path, this is no different...I'd assume more ND happen from a gun laying on a lap or bar than in the hands of a competent operator looking thru a scope. If I'm wrong then I am but I doubt it. Looking thru a scope at a hillside is no more dangerous than hiking around with a gun on your back loaded with saftey on pointing straight in the air....witch is also a unsafe muzzle direction...I am not saying binos are not the way to go bc they are but I try and carry the least amount of weight as possible and everything adds something.

Again sorry for derailing your thread let's hear some more rain tactics

Not a problem at all.I just dont want some youngster/new gun hunter to get wrong ideas as how or what they should be doing.You are correct not every one keeps their muzzle of their gun pointed to the ground. this is another flaw in the guide of how to carry a firearm.We teach the wrong way some time's.

• Like 1

When u wear your rain gear underneath does the outer layer get saturated and become heavy? Never heard that before.

I wear it only under outer layer.my hunting suit outerlayer is not heavy at all.I'm guessing my entire wearable weighs 11-14 pounds/not including my backpack

• Like 1

How would you feel if you were walking down a trail and someone was viewing your every move through the scope of their firearm?nervous I hope

It sure does give you funny sensation in your gut when you turn your head and see some yo-yo looking at you through his scope. I experienced this once and really don't want that feeling in the pit of my stomach again.

It also might be worth mentioning that a good pair of binocs does a much better job of scanning what's in front of you than a scope.

• Like 1

Rainy and windy days can be an opportunity to move through the woods in a dead-silent fashion. It is not anything that is a guarantee because the deer have nothing better than to stay super alert, but the crunching of leaves does not exist and even the twigs snapping are somewhat drowned out by wind.

I do not look for deer to be voluntarily wandering around the woods in the high winds like we have been getting lately so even though I have seen exceptions to that, I do not consider that to be good "standing" weather. If there are a lot of other hunters ramming around the woods, perhaps the deer can be booted in the butt and actually move past you. But in recent years, I wouldn't count on that happening.

• Like 1

If you take the hunters safety class, that is the #1 violation of firearm safety. They even mentioned this problem specifically of not using a scope as bino's. Where do you hunt, so we can stay far away ??

Also hope you keep ur muzzle toward the ground at all times....and don't have a pistol permit that you carry loaded...even tho completly legal I'd hate for you to touch one off into your leg bc your not competent enough to practice proper trigger control...or shoot at a running deer or numerous other things they teach KIDS in the class not full on adults who understand and have had the practice and experience in the woods.