NY's Growing Deer Problem

BKhunter

Found this a little funny since this is one of the quietest seasons of my hunting career and no one is really seeing anything. The group I hunt with usually everyone gets a DMP every year and sometime even a bonus DMP sent to them during the season. This year only half of our group was awarded a DMP. We all use them but unfortunately not all of us got them this year. Just found this amusing and thought I would share.

http://www.outdoornews.com/November-2015/NYs-growing-deer-problem/

Last winter really impacted the herd in some areas. They rebound quickly. The local sports writer was acting like it was the end of the world back in 01 & 02 after back to back bad winters. Deer numbers came back within a couple of years. The problem is, there are areas where deer are actually scarce at the moment. Discouraged hunters, possibly aging, discouraged hunters, may drop out.

Apparently the DEC sees bowhunting as the only viable solution to managing the doe part of the harvest. As ridiculous as this may sound to anyone who takes more than a half-minute to actually reason it all out, somehow the DEC seems to be a little confused on the shortcomings of archery for this task. And there also seems to be some desire to believe that bowhunters are the only ones that pass on does, resulting in their desire to punish bowhunters with a doe-only segment of the season. I'm thinking there is more to the actual motivation for that rule and the threatened actions involving muzzleloaders in the future, but anyway, the DEC in all their brilliance first tried to sell their sky-is-falling story about out-of-control deer populations and then in a typical credibility lapse decided that the solution lies with the least effective weapon.....lol.

But anyway, the comment in the article about lack of population control in places where control cannot effectively be incorporated (i.e. protected areas of severe human population density) is probably on target. And yes, that problem will fester into a very ugly deer problem that will effect all metropolitan centers in the state.

But I'm afraid that with the inability of the DEC to apply real logic and reasoning as demonstrated in the "does only" bowhunting fiasco, I would not be looking for them to come up with any amazing real solutions anytime soon.

Sorry to sound so critical, but this latest deal with punishing bowhunters for a shortfall in deer management really did step over the line in terms of raw stupidity.

• Like 4

I can definitely agree this is a problem in LI. I am from the City and have no interest in hunting LI because I heard you take one step into the woods and are covered in ticks. If there was no tick issue I would take part in the extended late season they have there that runs into January, but you can keep the ticks.

I can definitely agree this is a problem in LI. I am from the City and have no interest in hunting LI because I heard you take one step into the woods and are covered in ticks. If there was no tick issue I would take part in the extended late season they have there that runs into January, but you can keep the ticks.

I'm sure if you sprayed sawyer a on your clothes, it wouldn't be bad. I may start hunting LI again next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to say as a bow hunter the Doe only part of the season bothers me but only for one reason... You force me to either use a dmp or my bow tag.. I believe if you are making a seperate season for doe only give me a special tag for it... If you want to force me to take a doe don't have it effect my other tags give me a extra tag and I will take the extra animal.... Another suggestion would say I have to take a doe before a buck instead of making dates.... This would be more likely to get hunters out there to take a doe

Hunting the island is hard. Access to hunting land is hard. I found a piece of private land I can hunt and all the deer moved through at 3:00 am-6:00am.. Numerous days on stand and only see maybe one or two doe at 100 plus yards where I can't hunt.. Hunting on the island is not shooting fish in a barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone who does habitat work and understands how that present opportunities at mature bucks was shafted by the Department of Environmental Compensation.

It's all just to say bow hunters had a chance. Rumor has it the take was only down 4% for the first week of sz gun season.... In regions 8&9 that seems to paint a much better picture than reality

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What a crock. I've been out quite a bit since gun season opened in 8F on my own land and haven't shot any deer, not because I'm letting them go (I do pass young bucks if I see them). Its because I'm not seeing any deer to shoot! I would love to shoot a doe for some meat, it's been my goal for two weeks. I grumble to myself every time I hear this too many deer nonsense.