Any info on buying land?

Geno C

Where can i find out about land going up for foreclosed auctions?? Not just in broome but in any county.

And also with the foreclosed lands the county not giving you the mineral rights is only going on in broome? otherwise if you buy a forclosed property else where you can have the mineral rights?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually Geno that info is posted on the county's web site or you can find a listing if you went to the county's headquarters. I would call each county you were interested in and see how they do it as I'm sure each one is different. We bought our house after it went through foreclosure, we had a bid on it as it went in and they tried to auction it. In our case they had no luck and the bank had to re-list it any way but I went in to the county to see when it was going on the chopping block. We ended up buying it from the bank at about the same price we had offered the first time roughly 6 months prior.

Gino, good luck with your land search. You would think with the Obama administration trying to make us feel we were on the verge of the greatest recession since the Great Depression.  That land prices would be much cheaper than they are but far from the truth. I have property in Sullivan County near Fremont Center and prices are up, if we were in a near depression you would think prices would be much lower.

Dave

HOW MANY ACRES DID YOU BUY jOE and how long ago?

I bought 5.5 acres and a newly built 16x 20 cabin with 15 ft loft and 8' front porch... $25,000... I retain all mineral and gas rights.  It was the easiest purchase I've ever made in my life. From when i first looked at the property and the cabin was built- to the closing took just 2.5 weeks. Closing to about an hours at their office with no lawyer necessary. Although I had my attorney look at the paperwork before the closing to make sure things were in order. They will even finance any property with 20% down. Christmas and Associates has those type of deal all the time. I know the owner Dan Christmas personally and he is the most genuine person you'll ever meet, with integrity a mile long.. Just a great experience all around and I couldn't be happier.

Contact the county offices of the counties you're interested in.  This time of year is when they usually post the lands for sale, after the taxes are due and not paid.  Also, check the county tax maps to see who owns large tracts of land.  Contact them, as farmers are always in need of cash for machinery, livestock, etc.  Maybe you can work out some kind of deal.  Also, as previously mentioned, the timber companies are a great source.  They'll usually mail you the available land, with maps, etc., so you can check them out.  Only thing is, they usually keep the timber rights for 20 yrs. after the sale.  But on the upside, it is in good shape for wildlife when you get it.  Good luck.

I can sell you Seneca County NY foreclosure list comes out at the end of Jan and the sale is in March. The other thing you need to watch on auctions is some counties they have till the before the auction to pay the taxes they owe. In Seneca County you have to be 3 years behind, and to stop the sale all you have to do is pay the first year owed and you are good till next year.Also do aleast a drive by of the property before the auction. Last years Seneca County auction showed greats pictures of this property and house. What they did not show was the 300 tires and mounds of garbage and crap next to the house (cropped that out of picture) Someone bought and a few months later I seen a condemed sign up on the house.I also read somewhere's else that alot of other places have done the same thing like Broome County keeping the mineral rights. I think this is come out in Western States but don't know for a fact.

That outhouse looks better then some of the house's in my area. LOL I knew someone that complained to the Assessor about them saying his assessment was $20,000 . He like if you think my place is worth that much I will sell it to you right now. You can even see his trailer behind the 20 cars & trucks and junk in his yard. We have a few 100 percent woodchucks in the area.

the outhouse is 8x8.. thats just the shell you're looking at there.. inside will be finished in the spring... it is functional right now the pit is 4x4 by 5 feet deep and bone dry and is vented with a 5" PVC pipe.. I get razzed all the time about it being nice than some of my friends bathrooms in their house..lol

Geno, My father has 30 acres in Chenango (town of Guilford) he will be selling in the near future. We have taken a few nice deer off of over the years. Theres also lots of state land you can hunt within 20 min from the property.  I will get you more info if intrested

Yes that would be great.

FYI.  Only thing about county/state land is that people can't read your No Trespassing signs.  Buddy got 65 acres that is surrounded by both mentioned and he constantly has trespassers that he has to chase off.  Good luck and make sure you do your homework.  I was looking at property in oil land.  Place had over 10 uncapped wells.  Glad I called the state as they weren't aware of them and the cost to cap was very prohibitive.

who would have thought finding the right property would be this hard lol... i try to look into each property as much as i can. thank god for google earth, maps or bing maps because i use them on every parcel i am interested in. I try do pin point the exactl location with the maps or pictures given in the add and correlate that to google earth or bing maps to view surrounding property and travel distance and so on... the one real estate agent did send me this cool viewing program to view properties in otsego county by parcel #. you can view surrounding property and also map out and view the properties with tools to view the acreage and yardage.

this is going to take awhile lol

I spent alot of time joy riding around on my motorcycle in the areas I was interested in (Tug Hill- Oswego, Jefferson county), then called the realtors specifically for the properties I liked. I ended up buying from an individual not listed with a realtor, 10 acres surrounded by state and county land. I couldnt be happier. I had found there were alot of properties to be had very reasonably (4 years ago) if you looked hard enough.

Geno

Gas drilling only pays you if you own the mineral rights.  A lot of people have sold their mineral rights to the gas company, who can then come in and drill at their whim, and you have no say in it and don't profit from it.

Don't know what your primary hunting/fishing interests are, but if you care about things like antler restrictions, you need to know where the areas are that are likely to have them or not have them.  If you care about fly fishing, you should be looking by streamshed. 

If you are looking in the Delaware drainage, be aware that there has been a lot of flooding there in recent years. Anywhere in the region you want to ask questions about past problems in the area (bridge washouts on access roads, etc) and buy federal flood insurance. 

My recommendation is to go visit the general area you think you might be interested in and visit the local realtors. Just drop in. They're sitting in their offices trying to drum up business. You can pick up free regional papers full of real estate ads in any store.  There are a lot of people who need to sell and the realtors aren't swamped with potential buyers so you should do fine.  

One area you might want to consider is just north of the Catskills in the Middleburg area.  

Geno, you don't want to buy land and later have a gas company come and start drilling gas wells on your property. And you can't stop them.

Dave

drilling for gas on the property brings in some extra coin to the land owner correct? i am in no means looking to make money off the property and i would hate to have anyone driling anywhere near the land i end up buying... i want to keep this land for hunting and recreational purposes only. somthing that i can have to retreat to for a little get away and to manage for hunting season. thats really it.

i appriciate all the info so far guys! keep it coming.

Well Hounder, you need to get you mineral rights correct. Most land owners in NY state still have their mineral rights they may have just leased them to the gas company. They have to tell you if they gas rights our leases or sold before the sale. Also some sellers will turn over the mineral rights to you even if they leases them and then some split the rights with you, as they already received their sign up bonus. Some keep the rights for ever and then some the rights convey to the new owner after so many years.If you buy a land and there is a gas lease, you are bind to that lease until they drill or it expires.You can get better deals on land that does not have mineral rights.

Gas/oil rights are important, but don't forget subsurface rights in general, buy a beautiful piece of property with out  them and next thing you know you own a open pit  gravel mine, everthing 1 ft below the ground you don't own. check all your rights and look for old leans against it(search and survey usually reveal them) might cost you or the seller more depending how your contract is written. around here there use to be a hunting club that leased land for 99 years.. kind of went defunct but the leans existed still, some locals found out reformed the group and hunt these properties,(imagine buying you own place to hunt only to have an orange army come marching thru) well a lot of $ and lawyers later it was squashed but at more expence to the land holders.

G-Man that is the first I have heard of that nice to know. I did hear about  mineral rights in PA being likes that. Read about all these people that signed  up and got their bonus checks, then when they did not get a royalty payment they  called the gas company and come to find out after they gas company researched  the mineral rights found out some company divided the mineral rights from the  land in 1930's era so the land owners did not get nothing.The gas company did  say keep the sign on bonus as it was their mistake. One other thing to check on is if get both Agricultural and Development rights too (as this has been a big thing selling these rights off). I try and keep up on Mineral rights and everything else as I have 200 acres that someday I might do something with the mineral rights or subsurface rights.

who would have thought finding the right property would be this hard lol... i try to look into each property as much as i can. thank god for google earth, maps or bing maps because i use them on every parcel i am interested in. I try do pin point the exactl location with the maps or pictures given in the add and correlate that to google earth or bing maps to view surrounding property and travel distance and so on... the one real estate agent did send me this cool viewing program to view properties in otsego county by parcel #. you can view surrounding property and also map out and view the properties with tools to view the acreage and yardage.

this is going to take awhile lol

Took me 2 years Geno to find just the rigth spot for my needs

Geno,

It took me two years to find what I was looking for....But I had fun doing it...I could not afford 100's of acres, so I looked for something bordering state land. I spent probably 100's of hours on the net looking as well. If you go to google maps and select real estate from the drop down menu, it will bring up real estate that you can look for in specific areas.

I was kind of open on what I originaly wanted, meaning I was looking at houses, land, cabins...As long as I liked the area..I wound up buying a cabin in Chenango County, 30 acres bordering state land. Lots of state land in Chenango..

I still look for curiosity sake..Are you looking for something specific? I will keep an eye out.