Pictures from other farm

brandonjp

There is no question that those deer know where the camera is and they seem to be looking right at it in many of the pictures. And yet the camera is infra-red with no flash. What is it that is tipping them off? I bought infra-red cameras for "stealth" purposes and avoided the flash cameras because I didn't want the deer to know there was any such strange equipment along the trail. It looks like I could have just gotten the regular flash camera and gotten better quality pictures without any difference as far as deer recognition is concerned. Your pictures clearly show that.

Doc

That is a pretty tiny red light, and just like treestands, it is away from the deer's normal line of sight. Just look at the way some of those deer have their neck twisted up to look directly at the camera. Something significant is getting their attention.

Brandon, do you have any more pics of that last buck?  Wow!  Nice pics.  Hope that hunter pic was you and not a surprise visitor. 

Anyone else notice deer detecting their infrared cameras?  I have all flash cameras and am debating leaving the flash totally off next yr.  Was contemplating going IR but if the deer see that too, not sure its worth it.

Mine makes a very slight click when it goes off . I always thought that was what was causing it but I wonder if they see the IR like a white flash to us.

Sometimes in the second or third pic in the burst, they will stick their nose in the camera , flat out bolt or just look intently at the camera.

I dont think it is the slight click as they do not notice the cam in the daytime. They must see the IR light somehow.

Nice shots and bucks Brandon. :)

I'll take a white flash cam any day over IR. I've gotten pics of bucks with my IR cams set in 4 shot burst mode that seen the initial trigger just at the edge of the flash range and never took another step closer.

My white flash cams seem to catch them by surprise but relaxed. They generaly don't stick around nearly as long but I think the the sudden flash is less threatening to them than all those LED's glowing in the dark. I seriously think there has to be some audible sound to them suckers as they charge up for the next pic that gives them away. Plus the pic quallity is top notch IMO compared to IR of any brand. JMO

Nice Pics.

My Cuddeback had software issues this past fall so I wound up borrowing a camera from a guy I work with.  It was a Reconyx Hyperfire HC 600.  Turns out to be the best camera I ever used.  It has no flash, LED light, IR light, blink or anything.  It took great pics out to about 45'.  I sound like a commercial.  The problem with it is the set up is about $600.

So I will be out walking the ditches collecting bottles to get the coin to purchase my own Reconyx. 

Has anyone else had the software issues with Cuddeback No Flash camera's?  I know of 6 other camera's that went bad in the course of 5 weeks.  I contacted the company and they want $150.00 to fix the camera.

I have several cuddieback cameras but all have whiteflash, my friend liked my cam pis but decided to go with ir model, nothing but software issues, finially sold his ir and went with flash. The ir seem to make a hum while warming the bulbs if you will, i learned to avoid issues with the visiable flash by placing the camera higher than normal(it reduces some of its range but i can consistantly get pictures of bigger bucks at the location many times just a minute or two apart. i believe they think it is lightning and they see that a lot from above, just don't seem to like it at eye level.

I have Moultrie I-40 cameras and the thing is with them when it takes a picture at night and the infrared goes off a red lens comes down over the camers lens and makes a kinda loud clicking noise. when it takes pictures with out the infrared theres no noise

nice pics bandon! yeah your cam must makes a noise of some sort... i havent had deer picking my cam out like that and mine is IR. Doc i wouldnt be worried about the IR spooking deer. a sudden flash from regular cams will spook deer in more cases then the IR. Brandons cam must be making noise for them to look up especially...

good idea on the camera up in the air brandon. those are some nice deer, what county are you in?

The moultrie I 40 or 60 and so on, when they take pictures at night they make a clicking noise but the day pics are taken without a sound

I've had the same experience with mine. It makes that sound, which in most cases alerts the deer. It can work to your advantage though, because they look directly into the camera - offering a different angle.

Nice pics.

• 3 weeks later...

I know where those cam's are.  lol

Brandon and I hunt together all the time.

The property where they are located is loaded with deer. BUT, they are SMART !  Or lucky !  Not sure which lol

Seems once the season starts, they go into stealth mode.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice pics. Their is definitely an audible sound in there. It has to do with night photos  . Day photos I haven't had deer even look at the cameras,unless their curiosity brings them over. My thought is there are more daytime sounds to somewhat cover the sound of a camera.But those deer are definitely on to somethin.LOL!