PA may put $25 Bounty on Coyotes

Mr VJP

Agreed BUT they do not have to kill to ruin a piece of property. In our case we had neighbors that lost 9 fallow deer in 1 night. Not eaten.Just killed. That i lay part of the blame on poor fence upkeep but the case was still over population. When you have them growling at you while gutting a deer or have 2 pin your Lab up against your back sliding door in your yard, you have a problem.

Even the little they may kill, in many numbers they will ruin a piece of property just being on the landscape. Whitetails and turkeys will vacate the area and the small game population will be decimated. Been there, Done That! Didnt buy property for their enjoyment.

Now add in livestock and the plot thickens.

I like the part about the studies they they will just keep coming back. Like i said, after 4-5 years i am just starting to see and hear them again. Game On!

Deer can ruin a piece of property as well.. ask the farmers that want them taken off their land... maybe we need to eradicate deer for the same reason then. We have a pretty good coyote group on our lease, the turkey and small game still thrive. Mother nature has her own way of taking care of things.. mans intervention in things they know nothing about screws things up.

• Like 2

My Neighbor and I are looking to lay waste to the local yote community. Probably start tomorrow evening. Pics to follow. 

Ha!

Looking forward to your pics.  How many did you stack up last winter, or the previous winter?

Oh, I have a hide I'd like to sell, where's that hide buyer that paid you $20?

Deer can ruin a piece of property as well.. ask the farmers that want them taken off their land... maybe we need to eradicate deer for the same reason then. We have a pretty good coyote group on our lease, the turkey and small game still thrive. Mother nature has her own way of taking care of things.. mans intervention in things they know nothing about screws things up.

Let me know the next time someone you know spends 1000's to keep the coyotes on their property and manage for them.   To each their own and the best to them to manage for whatever wildlife they like on their property but when more dogs are being seen then deer, Threats to livestock and pets and even losing fear of man this 1000 acres will decimate every one seen..and some thats not!

I hate coyotes on my land all most as much as the a$$holes who let their dogs chase them all over my property! We had it out again yesterday bet it doesn't fix anything.

I used to feel the same way but after letting them run over 100 yotes down with dogs and Snowmobiles the first winter they ran them here they are now a welcome sight after the deer leave the property and yard up.

They can lay the smack down on some vermin with deep snow, rotating hounds and snowmobiles. 

I used to feel the same way but after letting them run over 100 yotes down with dogs and Snowmobiles the first winter they ran them here they are now a welcome sight after the deer leave the property and yard up.

They can lay the smack down on some vermin with deep snow, rotating hounds and snowmobiles.

Again, it is clear to understand that you have more on the line than most other hunters when it comes to depredation of your herd.

In most cases I think the houndsmen are not hunters at all, especially when their dogs are free to run across any parcel of property that they want. Some of us enjoy "hunting the hunters" and take it just as seriously as deer hunting. It is a very fulfilling accomplishment to take a predator at it's own game. So to hear of these houndsmen who don't have the gumption to play fair and kneel down in a field @ 1Am and try out their patience and shooting ability on a hungry adversary, I can't think of much more of a disrespect to wildlife. As a matter of fact, I challenge any hunter on this site to explain why he/she thinks that running any animal to complete exhaustion with multiple rotations of fresh dogs is in fact hunting.

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Again, it is clear to understand that you have more on the line than most other hunters when it comes to depredation of your herd.

In most cases I think the houndsmen are not hunters at all, especially when their dogs are free to run across any parcel of property that they want. Some of us enjoy "hunting the hunters" and take it just as seriously as deer hunting. It is a very fulfilling accomplishment to take a predator at it's own game. So to hear of these houndsmen who don't have the gumption to play fair and kneel down in a field @ 1Am and try out their patience and shooting ability on a hungry adversary, I can't think of much more of a disrespect to wildlife. As a matter of fact, I challenge any hunter on this site to explain why he/she thinks that running any animal to complete exhaustion with multiple rotations of fresh dogs is in fact hunting.

When these idiots start paying my taxes they can start using my land to run their dogs! I'm not a huge coyote hunter as I'm usually too busy fishing or snowmobiling but when when I do go out I like there being a few to hunt.

I have found more tracks from their dogs chasing a deer than I have of them chasing coyotes.

Now when I see them driving around I get on the wheeler and ride around my land and make sure not one of them come on it and I try my damnedest to chase the damn dogs off it too. Last year their dogs had a coyote bayed and I shot it and they wanted "their" coyote and I told them they can have it as soon as I get "my" trespass fee for their dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Oh i agree with ya. There are a few on here that think running cats and bears with dogs is all about hunting. They say it is hunting by following the dogs across the countryside and then walk up to the tree to kill the animal. I have shot some coons under dogs...Hunting? Well...Maybe harvesting. 

Then we come upon the difference between coyotes and bear, cats, coons, etc. and that is the fact that coyotes can't climb trees to escape their chasers and yotes generally don't have dens. Even if they did have dens, their home range is 10 sq. miles so they probably wouldn't make it there anyway

Although it's technically hunting it just doesn't seem very sportsman like to me to have the hounds do all the hunting and you just pull the trigger. Unless it's out in a field working small game that requires a keen nose or to be flushed out. Same reason we don't shoot at nest in the trees, not very sportsman like.

There is a difference between hunting and population control. I'm curious how many on here have actually run coyotes with dogs? I know a group of guys that run yotes in the winter and its not as easy as walking up and putting a bullet in their heads. A fair share still elude the dogs. Its funny that this yhread went from most people hating coyotes and using any means necessary to eradicate to now worrying about how sporting the kills are...Is running hounds less sportsmanlike than using poisons? Is it less sportsmanlike than killing a coyote caught in a trap? How about the guys down south that run deer with dogs, are they not hunters? It may not be your style of hunting but saying they aren't hunters because you don't agree with them is ridiculous.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Let me clarify. IMO not all hunting behind hounds is unsportsmanlike, such as rabbits and coons and that is because 1 set of hounds is trailing those animals. Therefore, if those hounds cannot match wits or keep up then the hunted animal stands a "fair" chance. Now when you start literally running animals to complete exhaustion then yes I call that 100% unsportsmanlike and no that is not hunting.

Edited by PREDATE
  • Like 1

Let me know the next time someone you know spends 1000's to keep the coyotes on their property and manage for them.   To each their own and the best to them to manage for whatever wildlife they like on their property but when more dogs are being seen then deer, Threats to livestock and pets and even losing fear of man this 1000 acres will decimate every one seen..and some thats not!

Your disdain of coyotes is more about anecdotal observation than anything based in fact... but, what you do on your property is your business. Blaming the coyotes for doing what they do naturally when you are the one that introduced the livestock into the equation puts the onus on you not the coyote. The coyote was there first and only becomes a problem because of your actions. But, like I said.. your property your decision. You can justify it anyway you want to... but that doesn't make it factual. As for coyote vs. deer, habitat and other game animals... they are no more dangerous than man... that is a fact!

• Like 2

I have hounds run through here many times. I know several people who have witnessed them being released onto posted land. When a coyote comes into sight, you can hear the semi-autos going pop-pop-pop-pop at animals running full speed.

Where are the houndsmen to defend themselves?

• Like 1

To put it plain. If you want numbers of coyotes taken from an area, run them with dogs. If you want to be "sportsman like" then call them at night or trap them... I think the waters are getting muddled now about "hunting" and nuisance hunting. It doesn't sound like a single person on here has actually tried hunting with dogs? Most of you have no idea what it entails or the work involved not only with the hunt but year round dog work. I don't think shooting bears, coons or lions out of trees is very sporting either but I'm not advocating against it either. Running dogs is the most effective way of killing coyotes. Period.

• Like 1

I have hounds run through here many times. I know several people who have witnessed them being released onto posted land. When a coyote comes into sight, you can hear the semi-autos going pop-pop-pop-pop at animals running full speed.

Where are the houndsmen to defend themselves?

I agree with your stance on coyotes here in NY but, do you know the guys didn't have permission on said private land? The guys I know have permission for about 1200 acres and all of that is posted property. And is hearing rapid shots so much different than a lot of deer hunters? Deer drives? The guys I speak of are a great group of guys that are just as much sportsmen as anyone on this forum, don't make all houndsmen out to be trespassing, I'll informed, lazy excuses for hunters... That's all I'm saying.

I've ran dogs before with my uncle in the '70's. We only ran coon and let me tell you, it's no easy picinic. I'm sure coyote is just as rough and harder work. They can run farther and faster than coon. Why PA would put a $25 bounty on them is beyond me. I'm hoping to hook up with friends this year to try and run coyote with there dogs. Sportmans like or not, it's legal in NY.

• Like 1

Your disdain of coyotes is more about anecdotal observation than anything based in fact... but, what you do on your property is your business. Blaming the coyotes for doing what they do naturally when you are the one that introduced the livestock into the equation puts the onus on you not the coyote. The coyote was there first and only becomes a problem because of your actions. But, like I said.. your property your decision. You can justify it anyway you want to... but that doesn't make it factual. As for coyote vs. deer, habitat and other game animals... they are no more dangerous than man... that is a fact!

Well let me be the first to tell ya that anything that any observation on this 800 acres is nothing but fact.  Had lots of yotes and had no deer or turkeys to speak of.  Removed the problem vermin and the deer and turkey numbers jumped right back up.

Call it what you will but that is fact.  As far as livestock,  When man has to work around problem animals the animals will lose every time.

When it comes to the Yotes being no more dangerous than man statement i would have to disagree because i know and have control of what man does on these 800 so i know where the problem comes from.

To put it plain. If you want numbers of coyotes taken from an area, run them with dogs. If you want to be "sportsman like" then call them at night or trap them... I think the waters are getting muddled now about "hunting" and nuisance hunting. It doesn't sound like a single person on here has actually tried hunting with dogs? Most of you have no idea what it entails or the work involved not only with the hunt but year round dog work. I don't think shooting bears, coons or lions out of trees is very sporting either but I'm not advocating against it either. Running dogs is the most effective way of killing coyotes. Period.

Around these parts the hunting consists of 3-4 pickups,4-5 snowmobiles, A good group of hunters and a pack of hunting dogs. The outside field watchers carry the rifles most times and the snow goers carry a shotgun.

Have you ever seen how fast a guy can run down a yote on a snowmobile?  Many people will call it many things but at the end of the day the goal is to take care of a problem and end up with a dead animal.  That happens most times when the dogs and snow goers get done with their day.

Around these parts the hunting consists of 3-4 pickups,4-5 snowmobiles, A good group of hunters and a pack of hunting dogs. The outside field watchers carry the rifles most times and the snow goers carry a shotgun.

Have you ever seen how fast a guy can run down a yote on a snowmobile? Many people will call it many things but at the end of the day the goal is to take care of a problem and end up with a dead animal. That happens most times when the dogs and snow goers get done with their day.

The hunters where I'm from do it a little different. There's no option to run them down on a machine as its thick forest with no fields to speak of. Its a matter of trying to get in front of the dogs and get the coyote as it comes by. Its a lot of running and scurrying around, physically exhausting. The guys I speak of don't swap out tired dogs for fresh as some seem to think is commonplace. There are many times the yote comes out the victor as it loses the dogs. I encourage anyone that has never done it to at least go along on a few hunts and experience it before you bash it based on hearsay or internet banter. I agree that if the animals are truly causing significant damage and are truly overpopulated then to me it wouldn't matter too much about sporting, its a matter of animal reduction. Although true overpopulation of coyotes in the majority of areas is just not true.

• Like 1

I agree with your stance on coyotes here in NY but, do you know the guys didn't have permission on said private land? The guys I know have permission for about 1200 acres and all of that is posted property. And is hearing rapid shots so much different than a lot of deer hunters? Deer drives? The guys I speak of are a great group of guys that are just as much sportsmen as anyone on this forum, don't make all houndsmen out to be trespassing, I'll informed, lazy excuses for hunters... That's all I'm saying.

Maybe it is just my neighborhood but there are a lot of problems around here with dogs running where they are not wanted. The practice seems to be to drive the town roads at first light after some new snow. When they cut a fresh track, they release the dogs regardless of whose property it is. A friend and neighbor caught one guy releasing dogs on his posted property. The guy got belligerent when confronted. I found another spot where this was done on my next door neighbor's place. I know they didn't have permission to be on there. These guys track the hounds with GPS. One pulled into a neighbor's yard - at the dead end of town road - and started blasting away at a coyote while he was just 30 yards from the house. DEC was called and he got ticketed.

Re repeating shots at anything. If more than one shot is needed, someone is not accurately hitting the target, resulting in wounded, crippled and unrecovered game.. 

• Like 2