NY is #1 Worst State to Hunt Whitetails

Renegade Hunter

People around us will use all there tags and anyone elses tags, legal or not.. they do not care, wrong tag per season, wmu you name it. But it has a tag on it. (for everything) Start holding people accountable for their actions, and punish per crime committed, people may start to think twice.. 

I know people do this, I don't get why though. If you get your tags for all the seasons you get a ML tag for either sex, a Bow for either sex tag, a base Regular season buck tag, and what, we are allowed 2 (?) DMP's? That's 5 legal deer. Why use someone else's tags? Isn't 5 enough?

NY may not be the best state for deer, but it certainly isn't the worst. 

Gun season doesnt last months

Go north my friend. Even the Tier if you add in Muzzy season. I believe it would be better to have no guns in any part of the rut and breaks in the seasons. Have 7-10 days for antlered then a break and 7-10 days doe only.  Split things up, The seasons up here are just nuts and add in no killing females and Ar you get the whole picture.

I always forget how long it is up North. Down here its 4 weeks and a couple of days.

I have mixed feelings on it. On one hand I know that a split season would help a bit with the pressure deer feel, but on the other hand I like having that much time to hunt. I know quite a few guys that wouldnt have more than a day or two available to hunt if the seasons were that short. Youd probably see alot of them quit, and that kind of a cut in our numbers is not a good thing.

From a QDM standpoint, I get it, from an overall view of whats best for the sport, maybe its not a great idea.

AR you will never ever sell me on. Its a band aid at best, and not a good thing to mandate.

I know people do this, I don't get why though. If you get your tags for all the seasons you get a ML tag for either sex, a Bow for either sex tag, a base Regular season buck tag, and what, we are allowed 2 (?) DMP's? That's 5 legal deer. Why use someone else's tags? Isn't 5 enough?

NY may not be the best state for deer, but it certainly isn't the worst. 

You dont get an either sex for ML and bow. You get an either sex you can use in ML OR bow, a doe permit you can use in ML OR bow, Regular buck tag, that if not filled turns into an either sex in late season, and between 0 and 4 DMPs.

You wonder why doe numbers are so out of whack in many areas? Think about the fact that you have essentially 3 doe tags that you can use anywhere in the state. Even in the areas they dont hand out DMPs in because the population is considered too low.

• Like 1

The difference is you are showing evidence of using violence in an unwarranted manor. Plus, when applying for a pistol permit, you are agreeing that your permit will be revoked for being convicted of such things.

BTW, If you call punching your wife a lapse of judgement, I dont even know what to say.

Ok, so when you buy your license they print another sheet that says "I will obey the law or forfeit my rights to hunt, fish and trap" then if you are caught you have a lifetime ban. Obviously there would have to be a little leeway for marking the wrong date etc. Then add a 10k minimum fine so for every 10 or 12 cases that pays for another encon officer to be employed for the year, sounds like a win win for me, more LEO's less idiots I don't know how that isn't a good thing?

Edited by Buckmaster7600

You get an either sex you can use in ML OR bow, a doe permit you can use in ML OR bow

Sorry, I never hunted ML and though it was a separate tag from the bow tag. I though you could get one for each season. Bow and ML.

OK, so take 1 tag out, add two more that's 6. Bow/ML tag, Reg. tag, 4 DMP's. 

Sorry, I never hunted ML and though it was a separate tag from the bow tag. I though you could get one for each season. Bow and ML.

OK, so take 1 tag out, add two more that's 6. Bow/ML tag, Reg. tag, 4 DMP's. 

Not everyone gets 4 DMPs.

Look, in any area of the state, you can get 3 tags if you bow hunt, ML hunt and gun hunt. Everything else is dependent on where you are.

What does accountability have to do with making every single hunting infraction equal a $10000 fine and lifetime ban? My bet is, you would have less money in your pocket and would no longer be able to hunt if that was the case.

Well in 18yrs of having a hunting license and 14 with a fishing license I have not had an issue so I don't think it would affect me or anyone else that Abides by the law.

Well in 18yrs of having a hunting license and 14 with a fishing license I have not had an issue so I don't think it would affect me or anyone else that Abides by the law.

So you are telling me that you have never once broken any hunting or fishing regulation, or are you telling me that you havent gotten caught breaking one?

I can say that I have never had an issue either, which means Ive never been handed a ticket, or been caught breaking any hunting or fishing regulation either. I cant say Ive never broken any, I just havent gotten caught. Do I jack deer? Nope, never have. Do I shoot them out of season? Nope, never have. Have I used anyone elses' tag or given my tag to anyone else to use? Nope. Have I filled a tag out wrong? Most likely. Have I caught a bass in May? Absolutely. I just havent gotten a ticket, and dont feel that minor infractions should be punished in the same way that major ones should be.

So you are telling me that you have never once broken any hunting or fishing regulation, or are you telling me that you havent gotten caught breaking one?

I can say that I have never had an issue either, which means Ive never been handed a ticket, or been caught breaking any hunting or fishing regulation either. I cant say Ive never broken any, I just havent gotten caught. Do I jack deer? Nope, never have. Do I shoot them out of season? Nope, never have. Have I used anyone elses' tag or given my tag to anyone else to use? Nope. Have I filled a tag out wrong? Most likely. Have I caught a bass in May? Absolutely. I just havent gotten a ticket, and dont feel that minor infractions should be punished in the same way that major ones should be.

As I said before there has to be leeway for minor infractions. I'm sure I have done something wrong at some point. Catching a bass in May is not illegal.

As I said before there has to be leeway for minor infractions. I'm sure I have done something wrong at some point. Catching a bass in May is not illegal.

Never understood that rule. You can't purposefully fish for bass as it's illegal but if you accidentally catch one it's not. Lets just make it you can't keep one illegal ?! I've caught a bunch of them steelhead fishing