Who will be hunting Cornell Ithica this January?

growalot

I have hunted this Program since the beginning, There is lots of available land, however most of the deer they want killed are in the city limits of Ithaca and Cayuga Heights and are unhuntable. 2 yrs ago I killed 2 deer and last year I never saw one and froze my butt off. I will be hunting it again this yr and hope to put another deer in the freezer.

Is there a good place to hunt? Can u hunt bow or gun there? ? Thanks

Sent from my LG-VS450PP using Tapatalk

It depends on where you hunt.  Search DMFA on DEC website.  You cannot hunt Cornell property if you're not registered by Oct 1, but there's a couple of state parks that are in the focus area.  I'll be hunting private land right near Cornell with plenty of nice does.

Going to give  it a try with crossbow.Which of the 2 state parks do you think is better? 

To be honest, I haven't scouted either one, but there's usually great hunting on both.  They're just a couple of miles from each other, so you could do one in the morning and the other in the afternoon.

It's just a hunt for Cornell to use as info and say that it's for the whole state. Cornell, DEC, same thing. In my humble opinion.

What's wrong with that?

Not sure what your beef is and do hope to hear it.  I'm sure a big part of this is population reduction?? 

Must not be any coyotes there?

Spoke with two guys on Christmas Eve that hunt in this program. Had to be registered by Oct 1st. Then I believe they said you have to sign up for the area you plan to hunt and what days you will be there. If you do not show up on a day you signed up for, you lose your tags. Also said you can shoot up to 2 does per day. The season is 3 weeks long, with 2 hunters taking 2 doe per day. That's 84 doe if successful. Man, that's why no one saw deer this season, they are all in Ithaca.

BTW, the 2 guys have hunted a few areas up there for most of the regular season and haven't even seen a deer.

Myself and two other guys hunted Buttermilk Falls State Park during this special season last year for a day.I can tell you this did see lots

of tracks no deer! and lots of people walking there dogs through the park plus students hiking the trails.Won't be back again was a waste

of time

Lee

Spoke with two guys on Christmas Eve that hunt in this program. Had to be registered by Oct 1st. Then I believe they said you have to sign up for the area you plan to hunt and what days you will be there. If you do not show up on a day you signed up for, you lose your tags. Also said you can shoot up to 2 does per day. The season is 3 weeks long, with 2 hunters taking 2 doe per day. That's 84 doe if successful. Man, that's why no one saw deer this season, they are all in Ithaca.

BTW, the 2 guys have hunted a few areas up there for most of the regular season and haven't even seen a deer.

In order to hunt on Cornell property, you have to be registered by 10/1.  To hunt public or private land not on Cornell, but still within the DMFA, you can register 5 minutes before you head to your stand, print out tags, and go.  I'm heading to my stand right now.

• Like 1

Gotta be interesting gutting a pregnant doe...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

No different than any other doe I've taken.  They're only a few weeks pregnant now anyway so there's not much fetal growth to speak of.  I, honestly, never noticed.