20 Gauge Turkey Loads

Mossberg500Guy

I was wondering what type of turkey loads other hunters prefer that use a 20 Gauge (if you use other gauge feel free to leave comment) I've tried Winchester Double x and Remington Nitro with poor results 10 pellets head/neck area at 30 yards, I'm gonna try a new choke and gonna try out Federal Premium High Velocity Turkey loads, never could bring my self to spend 20$+ on Hevi-shot.

Spend the $ on the Heavi mag blends ! You only shoot once or maybe twice a season. First shot is with daughters youth Remmington 20 gauge with Jelly head tube at 30 yards. I pattern guns to hit head and neck with bottom of the densest part of pattern. I hate crunchies. Second target is 40 yards. These turkey loads are outstanding

post-4567-0-09574400-1450617225_thumb.jp

post-4567-0-76484200-1450617329_thumb.jp

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 4

Mag Blends Haven't been around forever, Lead works.

And Remington Sluggers have also killed a lot of deer. How many still use them with the performance of higher standard sabots/slugs today?  Nevermind, you asked for our opinion and choose not to value it.  Not saying lead won't kill em dead but there's better alternatives for velocity, pattern density, range and energy. Tool around on Oldgobbler.com for awhile and ask around.

• Like 1

Yes lead kills and has for many years. Myself as well as others on here have been on the same road you are and spent the money on chokes and box after box of other shells and ended up with hevi shot for a reason. If I knew then what I know now I would have bought the hevi to begin with and I would have saved money. I tried the turkey thugs and they didn't pattern well out of my 500 or 870 20ga with the jelly head or carlsons that I have.

Honestly I hate to spend money too but its worth buying the hevi-shot. I doubt you'll be target shooting with them so youll only use maybe a shell or 2 per season so it comes out alright. If you look carefully, you'll find some hevi shot on sale or with a rebate. I got like 20 bucks off 4 boxes of turkey hevi-shot and so far I only used 2 to sight in and I still have a bunch left for next season. 

And Remington Sluggers have also killed a lot of deer. How many still use them with the performance of higher standard sabots/slugs today? Nevermind, you asked for our opinion and choose not to value it. Not saying lead won't kill em dead but there's better alternatives for velocity, pattern density, range and energy. Tool around on Oldgobbler.com for awhile and ask around.

I never said i didn't value anyone's advise, i already stated i didn't want to spend a lot on 5 shells, i did ask what you prefer but i was simply asking just to see what others like for lead loads.

And actually the Remington Sluggers are all i use for deer hunting and are very effective out to 70 yards (or more never tested) I've killed lots of deer with them and tagged 2 this year with just Rem Sluggers

Edited by Mossberg500Guy

You can never know how many shells you need for practice, saying "3 shots is all you need" is unethical, you need to know your effective range and be comfortable with those ranges and 3 shell will not accomplish that unless you only have one range, pellet count and placement can vary on chokes and ranges.

That's why I said "IF" you use 2-3. I have never shot a turkey over 25 yds and don't plan on it. If I shoot a couple 15 and like what I see I'll shoot at 25 then I know I'm good. In my opinion if your shooting much over 25 you shouldn't be using a 20ga and any of the turkey loads will kill at that range but in my 15 years of killing 40-45 turkeys I have found nothing that kills them like the Hevi's. I still buy a couple boxes of the new stuff that comes out and haven't found one that tops them yet. I would love to see winchester make the long beard for the 20's because they patter very well in my 12 but haven't killed a bird with them yet as I almost always carry my little 20's.

Edited by Buckmaster7600

That's why I said "IF" you use 2-3. I have never shot a turkey over 25 yds and don't plan on it. If I shoot a couple 15 and like what I see I'll shoot at 25 then I know I'm good. In my opinion if your shooting much over 25 you shouldn't be using a 20ga and any of the turkey loads will kill at that range but in my 15 years of killing 40-45 turkeys I have found nothing that kills them like the Hevi's. I still buy a couple boxes of the new stuff that comes out and haven't found one that tops them yet. I would love to see winchester make the long beard for the 20's because they patter very well in my 12 but haven't killed a bird with them yet as I almost always carry my little 20's.

I've killed my 3 birds with Win XX and Rem Nitro my shots are limited to 30 or less yards, and I'm sure that the lead loads have the same results at 30 yards (dead birds), was looking at least to get out to 45 yards but probably wont be able to unless i spend the money for Hevi loads, agree wish the Long Beards were in 20 gauge heard they have awesome performance in 12 ga.

Geeze, 7600...You are going to a lot of effort and expense for choke tubes and loads if you don't shoot past 25 yards.

You can kill the biggest gobblers on the planet all day long at 25 yards with skeet or trap loads.

If I limited myself to 25 yards, I'd never use any shot heavier than 7 1/2s and no choke tighter than Improved cylinder.

I realize that you are a marksman and no doubt have nerves of steel, but most of us mere mortals would be handicapping ourselves shooting such tight chokes at such close ranges. I personally like them around 35-40 yards...Still within sure kill range, but far enough out so that the pattern spread can  help counteract the adrenaline factor.