Pheasant

Paula

Go to dec website all release sites are listed. No hunting oak orchard or tondowanda on Tuesday or Friday no dog training those days either during season. Carlton hill is Friday releases also. Why people want to be out there trying to hunt them on release days is beyond me. They are for the most part not completely dumb and after a few days can actually give a nice hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stocking ends last week oct/first week nov. sucks for people who wanna hunt after deer season.

It ain't all about you. :)

And, typically we have snow by then and the best hunting is when they have plenty of good cover. Preserves have plenty of birds to hunt right up through March 31 I believe.

• Like 1

Its not all about me???? I have been lied to! Lol

Jersey and pa both stock well into December. Jersey winters arent like ours but pa is comparable. It would be nice if they released late season for people who pheasant hunt. majority wont make it this long from the oct. release. And when preserves are charging $30 or more a bird it makes u nit wanna hunt thaaat bad lol.

Go to dec website all release sites are listed. No hunting oak orchard or tondowanda on Tuesday or Friday no dog training those days either during season. Carlton hill is Friday releases also. Why people want to be out there trying to hunt them on release days is beyond me. They are for the most part not completely dumb and after a few days can actually give a nice hunt.

I just so happened to be at release site one day they were releasing. Saw 2 cars following the truck.

Why people want to be out there trying to hunt them on release days is beyond me. They are for the most part not completely dumb and after a few days can actually give a nice hunt.

They are not experienced hunters, that is why, and the so-called easy pheasant, isn't easy at all. Those inexperienced hunters who are willing to listen need to be taught. The smart guys are a lost cause. 

I would never say  a pheasant is "dumb". Birds are smarter than mammals first of all, and second pheasant are among the smartest birds. That is why they can fool most hunters a few hours (not a few days) after release. If this was not true, why would certain elements waste the effort trying to pinpoint and follow the stocking truck if they were otherwise easy? 

People need to understand pheasant stocking programs of state wildlife agencies including the DEC start at the egg and differ very much from the regimes of  private or commercial entities that raise or stock pheasant.. State Agencies are mindful of inbreeding and  outcross with Manchurian pheasant and other strains to produce a smart and wary bird that does not tame easily and enhance those genetics by raising them in isolation as much as possible. We just published an article about this subject on our website, go look at it. 

Also, I am not so sure Bill is correctly characterizing New Jersey's program. Some of Jersey's release sites exceed 5,000 acres and I believe they stock at night when it is dark. In contrast, some NY sites the actual release sites are smaller chunks within a larger land tract and the releases occur in daylight. 

• Like 1

I would never say  a pheasant is "dumb". Birds are smarter than mammals first of all, and second pheasant are among the smartest birds. That is why they can fool most hunters a few hours (not a few days) after release. If this was not true, why would certain elements waste the effort trying to pinpoint and follow the stocking truck if they were otherwise easy? 

Mike again somethings are lost in translation on these boards. Pheasant are by no means "dumb" however i feel a lot of people who pursue them in our state believe they just run around in the open until shot.Also when i said a few days the point i was trying to make is that after a few days they will still be there and offer hunting opportunities. You don't have to deal with crowds and or unsafe situations to hunt and bag released pheasants. You don't have to be there shortly after they are released there dose not need to be a mad rush to be the first on them as they will seek cover and disperse across the landscape.Again your information is very useful and appreciated. 

Mike again somethings are lost in translation on these boards.

That is why I am making a commentary of sorts on your statement. If we do not chose our words carefully, the entire context gets changed.

There are about 12 million hunters in the United States. You  never met a hunter without an opinion, and neither have I. How many times do these opinion have merit? Ask the DEC staff the same question. 

Check out the our recent pheasant article I mentioned. You will find it a valuable reference.