Fresh Sausage and Snack sticks

NYBowhunter

Well got a new LEM sausage stuffer from santa and tested it out today, worked out great. Made 25 lbs of fresh sausage and 20lbs of snack sticks. Both were a 50/50 mix of venison and pork. Used hog casing for the sausage and 21mm collagen casing for the snack sticks. The snack sticks are currently in the smoker for 12 hrs and the sausage we cooked up some tonight to try and they were delicious..

post-14-0-48742600-1451349847_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-05301200-1451349884_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-82827400-1451349906_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-57769900-1451349918_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Nice!!

Any special snack stick flavor/style?

The last batch I did was 20 pounds of smoked Kobanosy, yum....

As for flavor, its a combination of spices that i put togwther and everyone seems to really like it. No specified amount of spices, i add my spices mostly by eye, things like the water, salts and cure are exact measurements. This batch of snack sticks was 20lbs as well with a 50/50 ratio of venison and pork.

Care to share some recipes or if its a mix you buy what you like?I am getting ready to buy a smoker and a stuffer as I'm sick of paying big money for sausage and sticks and its the only way my wife and daughter will eat it.

I will give you the ingredients/ process for making a 10lb batch, then you can adjust up or down depending on how many lbs. you make: 5lbs ground venison, 5lbs ground pork ( more fatty than lean). Mix those together very well, then add 1/2 cup cold water, 4oz. Non-iodized salt, 1/2 cup of soy protien powder ( this binds the fat to the meat), 2 teaspoons of prague powder #1 (this is the curing salt only use in the snack sticks not the sausage as the sausages are going to be cooked and dont require a cure),pinch of sugar, the following are added by eye : black pepper, crushed hot pepper, marjoram, fennel seeds (more fennel seeds in the fresh sausage than the snack sticks), garlic powder. Mix everthing together very well. Best to leave in fridge overnight before stuffing. For the fresh sausage i use hog casing and for the snack sticks i use 21mm collogan edible casings. Place snack sticks in smoker @160 degrees F for 12 hours and then for 2 more hours i like to up the temps. to 180 degrees F. In all should take 12-15 hrs. in the smoker, use a probe and internal temps of sticks should reach atleast 160F.

• Like 1