New studies say Coyotes DO affect deer populations!

Mr VJP

All I can say, is that after more than 40 years hunting a property. The more coyotes we have, the less deer we have. This is not a guess or estimate. This is boots on the ground, see with my own eyes. As the coyote population has exploded over the years, the deer population has decreased exponentially. There is no doubt that one population has effected the other. Only a fool would say otherwise.

This ^^^

And of course to all this the DEC would say, "Halleluiah, we need more coyotes".

And while we are into the "truth uncovering mode", somebody want to redo that silly study that claims that the more coyotes you kill the more they increase. I'm still having a real problem with that one.

The original article in the link I posted at the start, is from this month, in this year.

I understand that the header says December 20, 2015 but, this is right from the article; "In rarer cases, young children have been attacked while playing in their yards, and in a truly bizarre case last October, a 19-year-old folk singer was killed by coyotes while hiking in eastern Canada."

The attack referenced as "last October " was in 2009. Was a 19 year old girl. So either someone made a time reference mistake or this article is a repost.

Edited by DCHunts

"In rarer cases, young children have been attacked while playing in their yards, and in a truly bizarre case last October, a 19-year-old folk singer was killed by coyotes while hiking in eastern Canada."

Damn! Can you imagine being attacked and killed by coyotes. What a nasty way to go ...... one bite at a time. That' a disgusting thought.

Damn! Can you imagine being attacked and killed by coyotes. What a nasty way to go ...... one bite at a time. That' a disgusting thought.

From what I found she was attacked and died from injuries the next day. But yes still a horrible way to go for anyone.

Her body would have gone into shock after the adrenaline had already stopped most of the pain involved...most pain would be after the attack ended if she wasn't killed during.

I didn't know part of my finger was gone until my son picked it up and put it in a jelly jar...I just looked down saw the blood and then said damn she bit my finger off......pain didn't set in until I got to the hospital.

But how do I get rid of it? I wish i had dynimite, fill it with rocks?

I have a neighbor that hired a bulldozer to come in...He told me  I wouldn't believe how far that den ran...didn't do him much good...just moved them farther away from the house...I hear them  during the fall especially, coming up out off his swamp howling/yipping......they don't " Talk" hear all the time...There seems to be 4 main times of year we hear them... late winter, spring, mid summer and fall.

Set up a cam and see how many fawns are brought in this spring.  :)

I did this once on our piece in wheeler, ny about 6 years ago... throughout one spring and summer.. The camera picked up "51"  fawns killed and brought into that den. anyone who thinks different can try it themselves. And that was a year coyotes didn't seem near as populated as they do like this year and last. 

I saw 17 coyotes my first 3 sits this archery season, and ended up killing 4 of them with my bow.. i have never seen coyotes like this before in the 20 years we have had our property... 

The deer numbers do seem down some, especially compared to 10 years ago, but they are not "horrible" here.... yet..

• Like 3

I did this once on our piece in wheeler, ny about 6 years ago... throughout one spring and summer.. The camera picked up "51"  fawns killed and brought into that den. anyone who thinks different can try it themselves. And that was a year coyotes didn't seem near as populated as they do like this year and last. 

I saw 17 coyotes my first 3 sits this archery season, and ended up killing 4 of them with my bow.. i have never seen coyotes like this before in the 20 years we have had our property... 

The deer numbers do seem down some, especially compared to 10 years ago, but they are not "horrible" here.... yet..

You have a huge problem started my friend. The only reason you have deer is because you are in an area that has large numbers. That will change around that piece of ground soon enough. If they dont kill they will run them out of your area.

I would be jumping on that problem this winter. Run the dogs every weekend and you will pile them up. Also make a few $ as i hear they are bringing decent $

• Like 2

Id love to run dogs here someday, never have but id imagine its a good time at the least...

The only reason we have "decent numbers" is from "managing" with as many neighbors as possible.. 8P, an area with 1st chance dmp medium, and no other chances. Gotta help ourselves anyway possible, if we want a future with our deer population. the state sure wont..

A neighbor of ours calls, and typically takes a 1-2 dozen coyotes every winter, im hoping we will be hooking up shortly, but we both do have infants in the house this year, so coyote time will be limited... I would not want to know what the deer pop. would be like if he hadn't killed any coyotes during the cold months the last few years.. 

So, what is the news here? I read the posted article and learned nothing new. Coyotes kill some fawns, maybe quite few in areas with a lot of deer. It is just a propaganda piece. It is just the flip side of HSUS propaganda. No better. No worse. If all you care about is more deer, you are missing an awful lot of what is going on out there.

No one here has called these animals docile. No one has denied they can be a very rare danger to people. The anti-coyote crowd does seems to have a serious problem with risk assessment.

Some things to consider: How does the risk of coyote attack compare to other risks - lightning, dog bite, bee sting, terrorism, plane crash, self inflicted gun shot wound, falling out of tree stand, being murdered by a family member, eating bacon? What percentage of a coyote's diet is deer? At what time of year? How does this vary in the different ecozones of NYS? What mesopredators are kept in check by coyotes? How does this affect small game populations - esp grouse and turkeys? How many of you know enough about the flora where you hunt to determine if deer are 1 - impacting forest regeneration, 2 - encouraging invasive species, 3 - negatively impacting other wildlife habitat? I suspect not many.

As other threads have established, deer numbers vary widely across the state. Coyotes must be the reason where numbers are low. The areas with high deer numbers must not have any of these "dogs from hell".

• Like 1