OK guy's Call your lawmakers

It is still considered a racist remark.

From Wikipedia:

The phrase predates the use of the word "spade" as an ethnic slur against African-Americans, which was not recorded until 1928; however, in contemporary U.S. society, the idiom is often avoided due to potential confusion with the slur.[1]

"often due to potential confusion" is political correct pyschobabble, not a racist remark.

I'll keep using the term....you'll just have to get over it.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you live your life according to Wikipedia, which can be edited by anyone and is not considered a valid source on any subject by any college or university.

Just sayin. Might want to be careful who you use it around.

You have wasted your time and my time by criticizing a term that means to speak bluntly, and try to insinuate that I am racist.

Why did you feel this an important thing to do?

I will correct myself....it wasn't a waste of time because you learned, in fact, that it is not a racist statement.

Glad I could help educate you.

Come on guys, now if you are against x guns, you are a Racist?

This argument could go on until the end of time, but there remains one constant truth.

An x gun is not a bow..and even if you want to argue about the projectile, or the delivery method it utilizes, when you do not have to stand up, and draw on a deer, IMHO...you are defeating the essence of bowhunting.

We (bowhunters) take pride in not how far you can shoot an animal, but how close you can get to it without losing the battle to it's superior senses.

Well, that might have been more than one truth after all..sue me.

This argument could go on until the end of time, but there remains one constant truth.

An x gun is not a bow..and even if you want to argue about the projectile, or the delivery method it utilizes, when you do not have to stand up, and draw on a deer, IMHO...you are defeating the essence of bowhunting.

We (bowhunters) take pride in not how far you can shoot an animal, but how close you can get to it without losing the battle to it's superior senses.

How many ways could I tear this statement apart?  ;D

I do have to take exception to a part of this comment. I have probably taken over half of my bow deer from a seated position. I would suggest that any bowhunter should take the time to be proficient at a variety of shooting positions. There is a difference int he drawing component of the two implements but in the context of the thread (handicapped or disabled hunters) I think that concession is justified and is only supporting members of our hunting community in their pursuit.

Not worth my time. You cant even get yourself to a maturity level where you call things by the correct terminology. Sorry, but you have zero credibility.

You really don't understand the concept of "debate".

For you, any deviation from your thought process is met with name calling, and dismissal.

So, why can't it be called a X gun..after all it is a cross between a gun, and a bow, even though that wasn't the intended definition by the originators of the weapon. After all it was invented before the gun...but it was not called a crossbow.

It was called things like ballista, winlass, and other names that described the mechanical function of the weapon.

It might have been the Chinese who actually invented the shoulder mounted stock/trigger assembly that led to the modern versions.

Before, the holding portion was more of a plank, or piece of wood that allowed the shooter to hold the weapon with one hand.

Funny, the Chinese invented gunpowder also...another fact tying the two weapons together, and making it in essence, a hybrid gun/bow.

It's a shame to see people who would rather get personal, and demeaning rather than present their point, and hope to provide the person they are debating with an insight into their views in a friendlier manner.

:)

No, it takes less practice to be proficient with a crossbow. End of story, nobody is denying that (at least Im not).

So if it takes less practice to be proficient, then it must be more than "a bit easier." 

Like I said....you are contradicting yourself. ;D

Actually no, its a racist remark.

It is not.  It refers to cards...would you feel more comfortable if we said "let's call a diamond a diamond" or "a club a club."

I will wait for your apology.

I believe a compound need less practice than a recurve or longbow... and has a much greater range... but that makes no diffence as far as the weapon threatening my bowhunting experience. I still would like to know why the big push against crossbows by the NYB. If it is because of its simplicity to use then the same argument could be made about the compound vs the trad bow..

As for the calling a spade a spade .. you both are wrong .. the term originated in Ancient Greece and origianl meant "bowl" and was later translated to as "spade" meaning "shovel"

And your position is what in NYB?

If you are addressing me, I'm not a member. As a matter of fact, I didn't know who you were talking about until I just googled them..I'm not ashamed to say I did learn something from you today. I love line three on their "why should you join NYB page".

3. NYB gets youth involved with SPIKES membership, youth camps, shoots, youth hunts, as well as Bowhunter Education and Certification.

They have my name right in there..lol

I'll have to study them throughly before I join an organization like that. But thanks for the heads up.

Spiker - thanks for answering.

Your opinion to me is much more relevant then flingers.

Ask around before joining - you will find a lot of ex members - some for several years - who left

for a lot of reasons besides the crossbow issue. They do have some great people and programs, but are run from the top down with little to no input taken from the regular members. Cheap enough to join - try it and see what you think.

Spiker - thanks for answering.

Your opinion to me is much more relevant then flingers.

Ask around before joining - you will find a lot of ex members - some for several years - who left

for a lot of reasons besides the crossbow issue. They do have some great people and programs, but are run from the top down with little to no input taken from the regular members. Cheap enough to join - try it and see what you think.

Sounds like most organized entities..like I said, I will research it.

Not worth my time. You cant even get yourself to a maturity level where you call things by the correct terminology. Sorry, but you have zero credibility.

For you, any deviation from your thought process is met with name calling, and dismissal.

So, why can't it be called a X gun..after all it is a cross between a gun, and a bow, even though that wasn't the intended definition by the originators of the weapon. After all it was invented before the gun...but it was not called a crossbow.

It was called things like ballista, winlass, and other names that described the mechanical function of the weapon.

It might have been the Chinese who actually invented the shoulder mounted stock/trigger assembly that led to the modern versions.

Before, the holding portion was more of a plank, or piece of wood that allowed the shooter to hold the weapon with one hand.

Funny, the Chinese invented gunpowder also...another fact tying the two weapons together, and making it in essence, a hybrid gun/bow.

It's a shame to see people who would rather get personal, and demeaning rather than present their point, and hope to provide the person they are debating with an insight into their views in a friendlier manner.

Its not called a crossgun because it is a bow mounted crosswise on a stick. It does not shoot bullets, it does not use gunpowder, there is no explosion or fire or spark. Its not a gun, its archery equipment, albeit a different form of it than a vertical bow. It shoots an arrow, powered by a string, held by a release system. If you lack the common sense to understand that it is not a gun because it shares more similarities to a bow, then that is your problem, and debating your ignorance is a waste of my time.

You want to talk demeaning, how about you two (arrowslinger and yourself, just so there is no doubt who I am talking about) calling anyone that wants to use a crossbow lazy and ridiculous? You two guys are possibly the biggest flingers of personal insults in the whole discussion.

All I can say is.. if you didn't know how silly the NYB stance is on crossbows before.. after listening to these two guys you do now.

What they are really concerned with is losing a portion of THEIR deer season to a crossbow only season... and that might be a legit argument... but relating it to a gun is a total nonsense argument.

Its not called a crossgun because it is a bow mounted crosswise on a stick. It does not shoot bullets, it does not use gunpowder, there is no explosion or fire or spark. Its not a gun, its archery equipment, albeit a different form of it than a vertical bow. It shoots an arrow, powered by a string, held by a release system. If you lack the common sense to understand that it is not a gun because it shares more similarities to a bow, then that is your problem, and debating your ignorance is a waste of my time.

You want to talk demeaning, how about you two (arrowslinger and yourself, just so there is no doubt who I am talking about) calling anyone that wants to use a crossbow lazy and ridiculous? You two guys are possibly the biggest flingers of personal insults in the whole discussion.

Hey now, I think you had better find my post calling people lazy, and or ridiculous.

In the beginning of these threads, I did tend to lash back a little because of the name calling aimed at me, as well as false accusations of being affiliated with the NYB.

And if it is such a waste of your time, you should probably excuse yourself from the conversation, seeing that you cannot control your temper.

After reviewing both of these threads just now, I see that it is you who are constantly name calling, and antogonizing anyone who doesn't agree with you.

And, I'm sorry about the "yer" comment..lol

Youre thinking of the wrong guy I never said "yer" lol. And I never said that anyone who is anti crossbow is racist either.

Im not angry, not in the least. You know, I would be able to respect your opinion if it wasnt for the childish (not trying to call you any names) comments like "crossgun", etc.

BTW, I was mistaken, you havent been a flinger, just that flinger guy.  ;) I apologize for that.

ROFLMAO

You're kidding right?  Right?

You guys started it, and have hurled 3X the insults......and you want to blame ....me?

LOL    LMAO    ROFLMAO

What they are really concerned with is losing a portion of THEIR deer season to a crossbow only season... and that might be a legit argument... but relating it to a gun is a total nonsense argument.

I would willingly give up a portion of MY deer season to make room for crossbows, but keep bow season separate.

What say you now, Mr. Know-it-all?

I would willingly give up a portion of MY deer season to make room for crossbows, but keep bow season separate.

I still don't get your position. you would rather give up a portion of the bow season than see crossbows included in the season. if they were proposing a 50/50 split ...you would be ok with that? I wouldn't...I like the length of the bow season. I still don't get how the inclusion would affect your season to present itself in such opposition.

I still don't get your position. you would rather give up a portion of the bow season than see crossbows included in the season. if they were proposing a 50/50 split ...you would be ok with that? I wouldn't...I like the length of the bow season. I still don't get how the inclusion would affect your season to present itself in such opposition.

Should be more like a 60-40 split, since crossbows are "a bit easier.:

Obviously, there is more than selfishness or greed to my position, and it has nothing to do with me or "my season."

I have already told you...its principle.  Hand held bows in bow season...ONLY.