Pocket/Defense Knife

Five Seasons

Pretty sure butterfly knives are illegal now ?! Used to have one and pretty good with it. Now I'd be cutting off fingers with the stuff I used to do with it.

I carry a Gerber with me all the time, not the best knife but it does what I ask of it. Surefire flashlight in my door handle of my car. I upped the lumens to 120 on that.

Also carry this SOG on my keychain.

I have the same knife, though I always carry a slightly smaller one, a "winchester" i got from walmart for like $5. It's actually not a bad knife. Blade is still a few inches and it locks well.

Defensive carry knives in NY are technically illegal, so I know everyone here is just carrying for utility, right?

I started carrying pepper spray recently just for the heck of it.

Actually I believe in NYS any knife that can be flipped(wrist flick) open and locks is illegal......I looked it up last year. May be wrong..don't think so though.

I believe this is true--maybe it's only NYC based on a post a couple above mine, but If the blade opens easily enough that it can be flicked open by holding it, a cop can get you. Many folding knifes are like this, not necessarily by design but the hinge can be loose enough to allow it. Knife laws in NY are pretty silly. Worse in many other countries, though (see: England).

I've read a bit about knife laws in NY and my conclusion is essentially that that even knives that are "legal" may not be if the cop is hassling you and thinks you intend to do something bad with it. The law is extremely vague to give massive and ridiculous leeway to a prosecutor. Of course, 99% if not 100% of us on here are not thugs and won't end up on the wrong end of that law.

But remember: you're never carrying a knife in NY for defense. It's always a utility blade.

In fact, does anybody have examples of what happens if a person legally carrying a knife does use it in legitimate defense?

Edited by Core

Hey my Son was arrested because he borrowed my car and took it to school...I had bought it from a neighbor . Her company gave out red wing tickets and she went to games often...She had received a mini red wings bat and stuck it under the passenger seat..or someone did...we never noticed it...but the school cop that would go through the parking lot peeking in the students windows did...Concealed weapons charge...that lawyer cost us...and Steuben county wouldn't let it go...I found out about tire thumpers,toy bats, silver ware...and a slew of other common "things" that with the right "-ick" one can find themselves in hot water. Good Lord...never carry someone else's prescription bottle for them....... :rolleyes:

Oh and don't change your tire and throw the tire iron on the floor of the car or cab....

Edited by growalot

Hey my Son was arrested because he borrowed my car and took it to school...I had bought it from a neighbor . Her company gave out red wing tickets and she went to games often...She had received a mini red wings bat and stuck it under the passenger seat..or someone did...we never noticed it...but the school cop that would go through the parking lot peeking in the students windows did...Concealed weapons charge...that lawyer cost us...and Steuben county wouldn't let it go...I found out about tire thumpers,toy bats, silver ware...and a slew of other common "things" that with the right "-ick" one can find themselves in hot water. Good Lord...never carry someone else's prescription bottle for them....... :rolleyes:

Oh and don't change your tire and throw the tire iron on the floor of the car or cab....

Someone from outside the window saw the weapon while you and your son, the new owners, never noticed?

Arrested for a bat, and fear of leaving a tire iron in the cab? And I thought I had it rough in NYC.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 1

Shawnhu I don't know about you but the car was clean when I bought it and our son had his own car(getting fixed) ,I do not use my back seat...Now he probably was driving the winding back roads to school a tad faster than I drive . The handle was "visible" to the officer so to your question yes...we did not see it.

Let me tell you the lawyer had some stories to tell and needless to say the local cops and I had a lengthy discussion. For My repeated issue was....... than you had best set up shop and arrest ever son of a gun leaving RedWing stadium with a mini bat...that BTW I guess they handed out to the first so many people at the gate...Now I don't go to games but I suppose some of the guys  here can confirm that...

Do you remember what the specific charge was?? and did your son get pissy with the cop or something??

Concealed weapon on school grounds.. I think...mind you many years ago and we went through several negotiations...but I was clearly told by the officers that unless he was driving a big rig that mini bat was an illegal weapon on or off schools grounds( i asked about tire thumpers)...It didn't matter that it was my car and the previous owner gave an affidavit to having been the one that left it in the car......everything was reduced to a misdemeanor but the original arrested was a felony charge I believe...for they were talking about his not being able to get into colleges,the service, ect...

I can tell you this...no one in our family borrows anyone's car. You can believe all used cars were about torn apart after that...even trunk panels,seats removed,dash boards and let me say..Eeeewwww...

Ps.. and yes...found pot seeds, roach clips what guys carry in their wallets......Hhmmm..... in one of our daughters used cars, She was not happy about that! PS she will only buy new cars now...lol

Edited by growalot

Concealed weapon on school grounds.. I think...mind you many years ago and we went through several negotiations...but I was clearly told by the officers that unless he was driving a big rig that mini bat was an illegal weapon on or off schools grounds( i asked about tire thumpers)...It didn't matter that it was my car and the previous owner gave an affidavit to having been the one that left it in the car......everything was reduced to a misdemeanor but the original arrested was a felony charge I believe...for they were talking about his not being able to get into colleges,the service, ect...

I can tell you this...no one in our family borrows anyone's car. You can believe all used cars were about torn apart after that...even trunk panels,seats removed,dash boards and let me say..Eeeewwww...

Im willing to be that they charged him with Criminal Possession  of a weapon. Because the mini bat is technically a "Billy Club". Which of course is B.S. Almost any heavy wooden club type object can be a Billy Club. A bat, an axe handle, a wheel barrow handle, the thick end of a pool cue….It really is a broad, ridiculous definition. 

Probably and if that's a felony..yes...you aren't kidding it's total BS....and it was a newly appointed woman DA...yep I'll say it.. a total be-ouch! No on the pissy...though I wasn't the most pleasant person to the cops...I will say this...that same school cop was over heard saying he was going to get our son expelled one way or another...I brought the wittness in and had it out with the school...the officer was given orders to not even look in his direction...our son graduated with good grades and went on to MCC for HVAC...became a manager of the car install at Circuit city while they payed for his college...so it was just one a-hole with an attitude and a DA trying to make a name in a new job. That is how regular people get slammed dunked...We had the money for a lawyer...many do not.

As kid I was asked a few times about baseball bats when I got pulled over. Once I said I played baseball they let it go. The lead pipe was always under the rug in the trunk with the spare tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

As kid I was asked a few times about baseball bats when I got pulled over. Once I said I played baseball they let it go. The lead pipe was always under the rug in the trunk with the spare tire.

If a cop ever asked if I had a baseball bat in my vehicle, the conversation would be over, and he'll need to show a warrant if he wanted to search the vehicle.

I've been asked to open my trunk in the past by polite officers because they were searching for a shotgun on school grounds. I can understand and appreciate LEO that are trying to protect and serve, but looking for a baseball bat is reaching.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Actually I believe in NYS any knife that can be flipped(wrist flick) open and locks is illegal......I looked it up last year. May be wrong..don't think so though.

This law covers a large number of folding knives, to the right arresting officer that has a quick snap wrist action. Fixed blade knives can only be carried, legally while hunting with a current year hunting licence in hand. Knife laws, in this state were pushed through nearly as fast as the S.A.F.E. act was. Not to many people even said boo about it, or even cared. New York City and Rochester have blade length requirements. Local laws can vary, region to region. 

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

What  about a tire iron?. Guess with these new vehicles, it doesn't even matter any more. A can of fix a flat. LOL.

Not that I have any experience with this but collapsible batons are not good . The kind that once the button is pressed it automatically shoots out to its full length thru the cop car windshield while your sitting in the back seat. Cops response " you're F'd now ". I'll plead the 5th on this.