Pocket/Defense Knife

Five Seasons

I usually don't carry a knife with me. I do in the woods though. As a former teacher- I can tell you that being aware is so important. Someone walking and texting is a target! Most thugs will try to throw a wide right hook or try to tackle you. If there is a heated confrontation- try to keep your distance! Don't ever let someone get in your face ! Put your (fence) up. Just your 2 hands out in front of you. Lead hand higher then the other--Strong side back. Hands open. If he touches your fence twice and he starts talking in single words like(yeahhh)----it is a sign that he will attack and you may have to strike first to survive with your best technique! This will work for women too. Then- get away fast---he might have friends!!

What if the offender is left handed? Will it still be a wide right hook? Maybe a left cross?

Most trained in martial arts is pretty good at close combat, including grappling and throwing. Violating so called "fence" would not be a problem for them at all.

Bruce Lee, would disagree that putting your strong hand back is a good idea. Different strokes for different folks. Unless you were a martial arts teacher(which I highly doubt), I probably wouldn't be giving advice to people on how to carry themselves in a dangerous situation. Especially advising people of attacking first, which is assault and is a crime.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 1

Thanks, yea I've read that, "while engaged in hunting "and so on. There is also a question as to wether I can carry them while working my job. But nobody cares that I do really . Some of their otf single action ones can be pricy can't they. Enjoy.

what's crazy about the NY knife laws is that they're class A misdemeanors. The same as illegal firearms and worse than prostitution. wtf?

http://www.knifeup.com/new-york-knife-laws/

That looks like a spring assisted knife.  Again that is illegal to carry as a pocket knife. 

Thanks, yea I've read that, "while engaged in hunting "and so on. There is also a question as to wether I can carry them while working my job. But nobody cares that I do really . Some of their otf single action ones can be pricy can't they. Enjoy.

Actually I believe in NYS any knife that can be flipped(wrist flick) open and locks is illegal......I looked it up last year. May be wrong..don't think so though.

that's pretty much any folding knife I own.  that doesn't make sense.  not saying you're wrong.  I'd just be a bit dumbfounded and have to take a minute to process it all.  that'd be crazy.

Not true.  Basically if you want to carry a knife the simple rule is make it small or carry it exposed in a sheath on your belt.  You can carry a bowie knife if it is exposed but carry a switch blade or any spring or automatic opening knife in your pocket and you can get into trouble if caught.  I can flip any buck knife open with one hand, they are perfectly legal if under a certain size (Not sure if that is still in effect but why take a chance.) otherwise they need to be in a sheath on your belt exposed like a gun would be.   Anything larger than a certain size has to be exposed or it is considered a concealed weapon.

Actually I believe in NYS any knife that can be flipped(wrist flick) open and locks is illegal......I looked it up last year. May be wrong..don't think so though.

NYS , assisted opening ( spring assist) knives are legal , there are no blade length state laws, fixed blades can be open carried and butterfly or balisong are legal as well.

That said there is massive confusion by many in law enforcement on what is what, and in NYC if they see your pocket clip will examine the knife and if the cop or the third one to try can get it to "flip " open using a large amount of inertia they call it a gravity knife and say that's then illegal . Lol a gravity knife opens by surprise gravity, it's an out the front knife that open when turn upside down , they were originally made for paratroopers , to cut free

Of lines. No motion needed to open other than tipping upside down.

All assisted opening ( spring assist ) ,and one hand opening via, studs, holes and waves have a bias towards saying closed in all positions .

I've read NYS penal law many times, written articles for Blade,and Tactical Gear magazines , belong to a knife rights org. and sharpen the knives of many in law enforcement as well as always showing and comparing our knives when we meet on jobs.

Not that I'm always 100% right and trust me your local cop is not always good source of knife law. I know guys with boxes of knives they've taken off people on the street , almost are of them are legal to,own and carry .

By the way the lawsuit against NYC and their out right deceitfull knife laws seems that it might go our way. Nypd does it largely to inflate their arrest numbers concerning weapons

Taken off the street , by arresting artists and stagehands for carrying their work tools, mostly folding razor knives in their case.

Here's a piece explaining spring assist vs switchblades ( know as automatics in the knife world).

Pay attention to the end where they talk about NYC ,spring assist are illegal there because ALL lock backs that can be flipped open are .

http://www.wildbillwholesale.com/whisdibeswan.html

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 1

Gravity & Balisong (Butterfly) Knives

In People v. Dolson, the Court found that the knife carried by Mr. Dolson was a gravity knife, because it had a hinge on one end connecting 2 narrow handles with a blade concealed between the handles, and the blade became exposed either by force of gravity or centrifugal force (spinning the knife). The Dolson Court also ruled that a knife whose blade does not lock into position when released is not a gravity knife. In 2003, in People v Zuniga, the Court followed this ruling, dismissing the indictment against Mr. Zuniga, because the ‘butterfly’ knife he was carrying had a blade that had to be locked into place manually, and therefore was not a gravity knife under the New York law.

Ny courts have ruled that unless the butterfly knifes handle lock automatically it's not an illegal gravity knife. Every one I've seen or handled , the lock had to be manually pressed into place . Not to say that some cough cough (NYC )Areas won't bust you and make you go to court or most likely plead because it's cheaper.

Edited by Larry302

Gravity & Balisong (Butterfly) Knives

In People v. Dolson, the Court found that the knife carried by Mr. Dolson was a gravity knife, because it had a hinge on one end connecting 2 narrow handles with a blade concealed between the handles, and the blade became exposed either by force of gravity or centrifugal force (spinning the knife). The Dolson Court also ruled that a knife whose blade does not lock into position when released is not a gravity knife. In 2003, in People v Zuniga, the Court followed this ruling, dismissing the indictment against Mr. Zuniga, because the ‘butterfly’ knife he was carrying had a blade that had to be locked into place manually, and therefore was not a gravity knife under the New York law.

Ny courts have ruled that unless the butterfly knifes handle lock automatically it's not an illegal gravity knife. Every one I've seen or handled , the lock had to be manually pressed into place . Not to say that some cough cough (NYC )Areas won't bust you and make you go to court or most likely plead because it's cheaper.

And that's what's wrong with our legal system/LE system. Arrest and charge you, and face very little consequences even if it was a wrongful arrest/charge.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 1

I've been looking at spring assisted knives. I see they're almost impossible to buy online and ship to NY so I better get some now in case I move back home. Doing research the OTF knives are essentially switchblades, but skirt the law somehow? What a weird country we live in.

Seems spring assist is legal for hunting in NY but not anything else?

Belo that's only because of NYC's knife laws,some won't ship ANY locking folders to ANY part of NYS .

Assisted openers are legal in NYS. Yesterday I was in a uniform shop that sells largely to cops/ ff/ ems. They had plenty of assisted openers for sale.

OTF are " switchblades" and largely illegal , although I don't sweat it myself .

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 1

OTF are " switchblades" and largely illegal , although I don't sweat it myself .

they aren't though. I did some research the other night and there are some variations in design that allow them to act like switchblades but aren't. It was approved and especially exempted in 2008 I think?

OTF are switchblades, there are two kinds, OTF and side opening . Assisted openers are largely side opening although there are a couple OTF.

Assisted require a manual start, ( flipper or stud mostly ) THEN the spring takes over and completes opening . They don't fit the legal definition of a switchblade . See my link on this in post #40.

There are some companies Spyderco being one that won't ship ANY type of lock back to and individual in NYS.

Spyderco made a "forum" knife for only members of that forum. It was a special edition Ladybug, a tiny lock back that requires two hands to open, it's impossible to flip, swing, use centripetal force to,open . I had to have them ship it to a friend in NC.

Edited by Larry302

If you are referring to,your post #35 than yes you are wrong in the belief that any knife that can be "flicked open" is illegal in NYS .

Now in NYC they interpet that any knife that can be "flicked open " to be an illegal gravity knife, that's a bit like saying a lever action rifle is a semi automatic . Which is why there is confusion in this state and a law suit , to read about the suit click my link .

http://www.kniferights.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=235

My post # 49 was written as I was running late for a meeting and not as clear as I would want . There can be OTF that are switchblades and ones that are assisted , but by and large most OTF are switchblades .

Here is where the President signed into federal law exempting assisted openers from the federal switchblade law.

http://www.kniferights.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=98&Itemid=1

Pay special attention to (5)

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 1