Coyote gun

I am looking for a coyote gun. I don't know if I will go bolt action or semi auto. Most guys I know hunt with ar's for accuracy and a quick second shot if needed. Looking for opinions on the perfect coyote / fox gun and what caliber.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Savage a17. Semi auto. For 350-400, then optics you have a nice coyote rig and the ability to plink for cheap
  • Like 1

I've been looking at the a 17 alot...how's it shoot?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I'd love to find out. Its on my to get list ! Supposedly really good. I've been after a semi auto 17 for a long time but nobody seemed to be able to make the rimfire work well, until now. Do some research on it. Pretty interesting with the delayed blow back setup. I'll be at a couple gun shows within the next month, hoping to find one at a nice price, ( and i have the boyds stock already picked out ) that is if I don't walk by a nice priced ar10 first...lol Edited by TreeGuy
  • Like 1

I'd love to find out. Its on my to get list ! Supposedly really good. I've been after a semi auto 17 for a long time but nobody seemed to be able to make the rimfire work well, until now. I'll be at a couple gun shows within the next month, hoping to find one at a nice price, that is if I don't walk by a nice priced ar10 first...lol

Yea I haven't been able to find one to shoot before I buy...want to make sure it's capable before I spend the money

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Well, maybe I'll be able to tell you in a couple weeks. But the 17 mag in general is def capable of doing work on a song dog, and chucks for sure. I hear it's a 500 yrd gun all day long. I usually shoot dogs >100 and chucks out to 300ish anyways

Edited by TreeGuy
  • Like 1

Savage a17. Semi auto. For 350-400, then optics you have a nice coyote rig and the ability to plink for cheap

I actually have a savage bull barrel 17 bolt action. I was under the impression the 17 was to small. I even have a 10-40 scope on her. Never thought of using that. I just don't want to wound one and kick myself. Something else to look into.

I actually have a savage bull barrel 17 bolt action. I was under the impression the 17 was to small. I even have a 10-40 scope on her. Never thought of using that. I just don't want to wound one and kick myself. Something else to look into.

Well I wouldn't say too small, since a .22 can do the task, but if you were trying to save $$ and use what you have it should do. I still say go for the gusto and get an AR, because you may never be able to buy it again...maybe

You've got to be kidding Once again I am not hunting/shooting long range's

Um no. Quite serious. Why do insist on using small caliber rifles and shotguns ?The critter has the right to a humane kill. I don't care if it's inside 30-40 yards or not. You are NOT using an effective weapon for a quick kill with a .22 and a .410 !!

Um no. Quite serious. Why do insist on using small caliber rifles and shotguns ?The critter has the right to a humane kill. I don't care if it's inside 30-40 yards or not. You are NOT using an effective weapon for a quick kill with a .22 and a .410 !!

How can you say the .410 is not an effective firearm for a humane kill?The reason I do not use more fire power is I own only 1 rifle a 270 win.that is set just for the few times I get to hunt in rifle zones for deer.You are telling me that #4shot out of a 12 guage is a more ethical way of killing a dog than a slug from a .410

How can you say the .410 is not an effective firearm for a humane kill?The reason I do not use more fire power is I own only 1 rifle a 270 win.that is set just for the few times I get to hunt in rifle zones for deer.You are telling me that #4shot out of a 12 guage is a more ethical way of killing a dog than a slug from a .410

My apologies as I assumed shot not slug from .410. I did say however #4 buck not #4 shot in my earlier post however. And yes turkey hunters have rolled a lot of coyotes with # 4 shot though too.

I remember watching my friend take a fox at maybe 40 yards, with a 22LR. It was looking at us and he zapped it just under the jaw….. Bang-Plop. 22Lr isn't the best choice, but at close range and with good shots????????

I'm talking coyotes not fox as per the thread though. Fox fold up a lot easier than a coyote.

In New York this is the only game that I know of that the .410 slug is any good for.It can kill deer in short ranges/distances but not legal for biggame.No apologies needed I just hunt with the tools that I have unlike most my money goes into my home not my sporting/guns.

I have taken one Coyote with a 410 slug, I will say somewhere around fifty yards. Hit behind the front shoulder it went down instantly and barely moved. I like the Brenneke 1/4 oz slugs they shoot fairly accurate in my Savage 24.

Below is Brenneke's data it clearly shows these slugs have more than enough power for Coyote as long as they are used within their limits.

.410 Bore
3" Length
Rifled Slug
1/4 Ounce Slug
Smooth bore shotguns, or Rifled Revolvers like Taurus Judge
All chokes
Muzzle velocity: 1755 fps
Muzzle energy: 781 ft/lbs

I'm talking coyotes not fox as per the thread though. Fox fold up a lot easier than a coyote.

I know, but I agree that a well placed shot from a 22LR, at close range, would be effective on a coyote. Again not the best choice, but if thats all you have, you will have to limit yourself to very close shots.