Looking for a cheap .22 Scope

ApexerER

I have two Simmons 22 mag scopes that were purchased back in the late seventies. At that time Simmons scopes were just being introduced into the US market and they were made in Japan and a concerted effort was made to be of very high quality. If I remember right back then they cost me around $130 each. I think so much of their overall quality that one is mounted on a Winchester 52 sporter and the other on a Remington 541S both are higher end guns at least for me.

The Simmons of today I know nothing about, and while they may be a good scope they have not been made in Japan for some time and at $50 today I would have to think there is a substantial difference from their early days.

Al  

Edited by airedale

I must say I am very happy with my 3-9x40 BSA Sweet 22 scope.  The paralex adjustment works well and the optics are clear.  Piece of cake to dial in and the quick elevation adjustment is a nice ballpark for quick adjustment vs. quessing where to hold.

It might take a few shots at the range to decide what turret you want to use for the ammo you use, but I find it much quicker to go from 50-150 yards without having to count the clicks... plus its easy to reset to zero.  Its not dead on nuts but that is why you can test the three turrets that come with it to get the best result.  I use the 36 grain with 38 and 40 grain ammo...seems to work closest for me.

Plus for $45 dollars you really can't beat the price

I just mounted one of those 3X9 Bugbusters on a Benjamin Air rifle, I have not had the opportunity to sight the gun in yet so I can not say how well it performs but from what I am seeing it looks very nicely made. The one thing I can say it is very heavy for it's compact size.

Al

• Like 1

I just mounted one of those 3X9 Bugbusters on a Benjamin Air rifle, I have not had the opportunity to sight the gun in yet so I can not say how well it performs but from what I am seeing it looks very nicely made. The one thing I can say it is very heavy for it's compact size.

Al

If it's a spring piston type rifle, I hope the scope can handle the two-way recoil.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

It is one of those Benjamin NP Trail nitro pistons in a 25 cal, it does not seem to have much recoil at all compared to the springers so that should not be much of a factor. This gun has caused me big time headaches getting a scope properly fitted because of it's long welded on scope base that I do not believe is properly aligned.

I have several nice scopes laying around that for one reason or another could not be mounted back far enough to give a full field of view, or I could not get them high enough, some actually ran out of adjustment to get zeroed. The scopes I could get on this thing were big game scopes without an adjustable objective and the parallax too severe at short ranges to shoot accurately. It has been a real nightmare.

I hated to buy another scope but to make this gun right I was forced to. So as far as fit everything is good with this Bugbuster, it is at the right height, it is back far enough to get a proper field of view, my boresighter shows it is on target and that there is plenty of adjustment, and it has an adjustable objective that eliminates the parallax at air gun ranges.

I will give it a good wringing out when the weather gets good.

Al

I happened to be passing through Ilion, NY yesterday and stopped at the Remington museum/company store. They had about 15 no-name, unbranded, 3-9x (32 mm objective) scopes from China for sale with rings for $20. I had to pick one up for that price. Unused, but no box or paperwork with them.

The girl at the counter didn't know anything about them, but said she did know that there wasn't anything wrong with them, they were most likely clearing obsolete inventory. I probably wouldn't put it on anything bigger than a .22 or .17.

I didn't need it, but for $20, I figured why not?

• Like 3

It is one of those Benjamin NP Trail nitro pistons in a 25 cal, it does not seem to have much recoil at all compared to the springers so that should not be much of a factor. This gun has caused me big time headaches getting a scope properly fitted because of it's long welded on scope base that I do not believe is properly aligned.

I have several nice scopes laying around that for one reason or another could not be mounted back far enough to give a full field of view, or I could not get them high enough, some actually ran out of adjustment to get zeroed. The scopes I could get on this thing were big game scopes without an adjustable objective and the parallax too severe at short ranges to shoot accurately. It has been a real nightmare.

I hated to buy another scope but to make this gun right I was forced to. So as far as fit everything is good with this Bugbuster, it is at the right height, it is back far enough to get a proper field of view, my boresighter shows it is on target and that there is plenty of adjustment, and it has an adjustable objective that eliminates the parallax at air gun ranges.

I will give it a good wringing out when the weather gets good.

Al

Although less recoil than a traditional Spring piston, the NP trail uses an improved piston, but unfortunately still produces a two-way recoil signature that most scopes cannot handle. For all spring/nitrogen gas ram pistons, a two-way recoiling scope is recommended.

Sorry to hear of your troubles with the Trail, have you contacted Crosman of the defect?

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

I am well aware of the potential problems due to recoil when scoping break barrel air rifles, the NP Trail will be a good test for the Bugbuster, if she holds up  I should be OK. When it comes to problem guns like this Benjamin I can and will usually come up with a solution and fix myself, been at this kind of stuff for a long time and I like the challenge.  ;)

Al

• Like 1

Well I know I got the scope from Pygmy but I was just looking around and saw the Simmons .22mag scope on ebay brand new in the package for $37.99 with free shipping so I said what the heck, can't beat that and ordered it. It says there are two more available if anyone is interested.....