Look what I bought

Pick yourself up a couple of 5 round clips so you can legally hunt deer with it..

Also, do NOT shoot commercial factory loads through in it unless they are specifically loaded for the M-1. Milsurp stuff or proper handloads only. I learned this the hard way, and had to replace my operating rod after shooting only a few boxes of Remington Corelocts...

Edited by Pygmy

Pick yourself up a couple of 5 round clips so you can legally hunt deer with it..

Also, do NOT shoot commercial factory loads through in it unless they are specifically loaded for the M-1. Milsurp stuff or proper handloads only. I learned this the hard way, and had to replace my operating rod after shooting only a few boxes of Remington Corelocts...

New ammo is loaded too hot for this vintage?

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Well, that didn't take long. What's the story behind it?

. Not too much of a story. I went to a few gun shops around me in rockland and no one had what I wanted... I was being a little picky as I wanted WWII serial numbers. The only ones I found down here were from Korea. I wound up taking a drive up to hopewell junction to collector rifle and amo. He had 3 on the racks and after inspecting all of them I chose this one. All the parts are Springfield armory the receiver dates to February 44 so pre d day. The barrel is newer dated 65.. The gun functions beautifully. I also picked up two bandoliers of Greek m2 ball. I'm seriously thinking of taking it out hunting next season. On nice clear days of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

The problem is that most factory loads use a powder that is slower burning than the powder that the M1 was designed for, resulting in a steeper pressure curve. This puts too much stress on the M1s op-rod and bends it. The action was designed for medium burning rate powders like 4895 or 4064.. Most modern factory 30-06 loads use slower burning powders like 4350 or 4831.

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 1

The receiver on my M1 is also WWII vintage, Springfield Armory 1943..

The barrel, I'm not sure.

Nearly all of the Garands have been rebuilt several times.

The rifle was designed so that you could disassemble 50 of them, dump the parts in a pile, mix them up and then reassemble them and every rifle should function correctly and shoot within given accuracy specs..I think the specs were somewhere around 4MOA.

The problem is that most factory loads use a powder that is slower burning than the powder that the M1 was designed for, resulting in a steeper pressure curve. This puts too much stress on the M1s op-rod and bends it. The action was designed for medium burning rate powders like 4895 or 4064.. Most modern factory 30-06 loads use slower burning powders like 4350 or 4831.

Isn't there also a problem with the primers, on most factory loads, being too soft causing the round to go off when the bolt slams it into the chamber?????

Could be, Ants. I know that some primers are preferred because they are harder than others.

I have always just used what what LR primers I had on hand ( usually Winchester) and between those and the Remington factory loads I fired before I knew better, I have never had a slamfire.

I do admit it has made me a little nervous looking at the dimples in the primers of rounds that have been chambered but not fired.

Ok so here is the bad thing...... I bought this one because I think it will be a fun shooter..... I have now decided I want one of all matching parts with all matching dates as a collectors item..... How to I break it to the fiancé that I'm buying another one or do I just buy it and sneak it into the Safe

• Like 1

Ok so here is the bad thing...... I bought this one because I think it will be a fun shooter..... I have now decided I want one of all matching parts with all matching dates as a collectors item..... How to I break it to the fiancé that I'm buying another one or do I just buy it and sneak it into the Safe

Part 1 of the plan, buy an M1

Part 2 of the plan, buy one that looks like the one in part 1 and sneak it in.

You're half way there.

It's spring time tell your girl you got purchased at a Garage sale.You did say that the one you have now you purchased in Hopewell was that at the 82 gun shop?

Yes it was at the one on 82

Sneak…stash and repeat. Avoid the nonsense …Trust me. If you tell her, she might be fine with it now,  but sooner or later it will come back to haunt you..For sure. 

"but my girlfriend/wife/ fiancé is different"    No….No she's not…. Keep the peace and sneak. MHO.

• Like 1

You Guys are crazy!Why sneak it/firearm purchase? Just tell her Honey I Bought another firearm cause just like your shoes you do not use/wear I wanted to have it.

. Because shoes don't generally cost upward of $1000 and when they do she doesn't buy multiple pairs in the same month

How long you been married Dom?

Been attached for 14 years not married but the same as if we were.Yes we live and share the same bed.I guess I just don't understand the sneaking around as long as the children/home/bills are paid when we have extra we buy/purchase what each other want's.We only live once

• Like 1