Anyone target starlings?

Just curious if anyone goes out of their way to hunt starlings?  Every year we have about two dozen red-wing blackbirds and a dozen starlings.  They get so aggressive they attack the robins and song birds.  Never seen them go after the bluejays, cardinals or woodpeckers though.

Oh man, many years ago while I was in HS we used to put a hurting on them stupid ugly things. Pellet pistols in village (oops)  I skipped school one day to shoot them off my neighbors chimney during winter as they huddled around the top to keep warm .I propped the back door open and would quietly slip the pellet pistol out and shoot. Killed 2 and critically wounded another with one shot. The worst was when they'd fall in my neighbors chimney and I'd worry they'd start a fire.

Also shot my fair share in the actual woods at my buddies with .22 CCI Stingers. Loved the poof of feathers !

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 1

Years ago, in my " If it flies it dies" days, I shot plenty of them.

Actually they are pretty challenging shotgun targets on the wing.  I would stand in the cornfield up the hill from my house and pass shoot them as the flocks went over..They were good retrieving practice for my springer spaniel, too

I haven't shot one in many years....Nowadays, I am an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY bird feeder...They all get to enjoy my sunflower seeds and suet, regardless of national origin, creed or color.

• Like 1

Years ago, in my " If it flies it dies" days, I shot plenty of them.

Actually they are pretty challenging shotgun targets on the wing. I would stand in the cornfield up the hill from my house and pass shoot them as the flocks went over..They were good retrieving practice for my springer spaniel, too

I haven't shot one in many years....Nowadays, I am an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY bird feeder...They all get to enjoy my sunflower seeds and suet, regardless of national origin, creed or color.

Dirty looking bird lives matter.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

I have got after them when they build nests in places where I don't want them. One year I had them plug my chimney.

Starlings are great mimics, Once time I was in my barn doing some puttering around and I heard a Canada goose calling just outside the door. I stepped out to take a look and no goose. The sound was coming from a hole in the barn roof overhang. Turns out it was a Starling sitting on her nest amusing herself by duplicating goose calls and doing a perfect rendition.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

I have got after them when they build nests in places where I don't want them. One year I had them plug my chimney.

Starlings are great mimics, Once time I was in my barn doing some puttering around and I heard a Canada goose calling just outside the door. I stepped out to take a look and no goose. The sound was coming from a hole in the barn roof overhang. Turns out it was a Starling sitting on her nest amusing herself by duplicating goose calls and doing a perfect rendition.

Al

Very smart and strong survival instincts in Starlings. Making them a very dangerous invasive species.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• 2 weeks later...

I know someone that has one as a pet. They are actually pretty intelligent and as mentioned their mimicry skills are very good.

They do mount up pretty and are fairly easy to do, if anyone needs practice with bird taxidermy. They are actually very pretty birds in good light.

I confess I've eaten them before, wrapped in a slice of bacon. I don't know if mine tasted better because they are not eating city garbage, but they weren't bad at all. In rural locations, their diet isn't much different than some of the larger birds we hunt and eat.