Any Rimfire Afectionados?

airedale

post-4931-0-93989900-1459782128_thumb.jp

A Ruger 10/22 that I was doing semi-auto bench rest with. It had a great thumbhole stock before the SAFE Act. The laminated Boyds stock in this photo never got the bedding work that the thumbhole had, mostly because I was angry...

The receiver is Ruger.

Boyds 'tacticool' stock.

Mueller scope with Burris rings.

Barrel, bolt, spring set, and 1.25# trigger from Kidd.

It's a very light-weight setup for all day carry, and even without decent bedding it shoots well under 1/2" at 50 yards.

I'll get to the bedding one of these days. :-]

A little better 'posed' photo with some stock experimentation:

post-4931-0-87686600-1459784106_thumb.jp

• Like 2

The CZ 452 is a fine rifle, Paulie..My buddy ( Bill Arnold) has one in .17 HMR and I have borrowed it a few times for squirrel hunting. It is indeed a tack driver.

I currently own a New England Arms single shot in .17 Mach II. I have a Leupold scope on it, so the scope is worth about three times as much as the rifle !  It is not as accurate as my buddy's CZ, but it groups plenty good enough for squirrels at any reasonable range, and the little .17 Mach II cartridge is not as destructive as the HMR if I happen to get a body shot.

I also have a Ruger 10/22  in  .22 LR that I use often for squirrels. I bought it new in 1973.  I have a Burris Compact 4X scope on it, and while it is not a one holer, it shoots  " minute of squirrel head"  out to 50 yards or so with Remington Standard Velocity Target ammo.

Danno, I highly agree with you about the .17HMR being more destructive. Wish I waited, the .17 Mach II came out later. Think the HMR is based on a necked down .22 mag shell, where as the Mach II is based on a necked down .22 LR?

maytom, on 04 Apr 2016 - 2:21 PM, said:

Danno, I highly agree with you about the .17HMR being more destructive. Wish I waited, the .17 Mach II came out later. Think the HMR is based on a necked down .22 mag shell, where as the Mach II is based on a necked down .22 LR?

That is correct, Paulie....Neat thing is that within 100 yards,  the two are very similar as far as accuracy and trajectory is concerned.

Beyond 100 yards, the HMR is the boss..  Of course, the HMR has an energy advantage at all ranges, which is important for larger game, like foxes, etc., but for squirrels or rabbits, how much energy is required ?

dbHunterNY, on 04 Apr 2016 - 3:10 PM, said:

.22LR I probably shoot the most out of any caliber.  I don't even own any rim fire rifle.  all pistol.  always thought about getting one but haven't yet.  probably will when my daughter gets old enough to shoot.

You don't have a .22 rifle ??  What the hell kind of a FARM BOY are you..??.....<<GRIN>>...

• Like 1

Beyond 100 yards, the HMR is the boss.. Of course, the HMR has an energy advantage at all ranges, which is important for larger game, like foxes, etc., but for squirrels or rabbits, how much energy is required ?

I've doubled lung a squirrel at around 20 yards with a 17HMR VMax and it practically cut the squirrel in half.

Elmo, on 04 Apr 2016 - 5:17 PM, said:

I've doubled lung a squirrel at around 20 yards with a 17HMR VMax and it practically cut the squirrel in half.

Me too, Elmo....That is why I prefer the mach 2...

They are easier to skin/clean if they are not so blown up...

I hunt them because I enjoy hunting them, but I also enjoy eating them.

I would not shoot them if I did not like to eat them so well..

You don't have a .22 rifle ??  What the hell kind of a FARM BOY are you..??.....<<GRIN>>...

well dispatching livestock or say unwanted critters in the barns at close range was done with a 22LR or 357mag pistol usually.  dad and brother each had a 22LR rifle around to use. anything like a coyotes during calving months or woodchucks in hay fields got special treatment..... meaning whatever was available with no limits, including a Winchester Model 70 in 300 Win Mag on a handful of occasions.  there was more than enough weaponry at my disposal while I lived on my parent's farm.  one day fishing with my brother, I lost another lure in the tree cover converging from the edges of one of the bass ponds.  dad's old 22LR semi-auto rifle and a brick of ammo dropped half a dozen tree limbs with nice lures into the pond.  hauled in each one with a treble hook as they fell.  growing up I got a 20ga shotgun and my brother got a 22LR as our first real guns.

It's why my 17HMR hardly ever see the light of day.  Too destructive for what I hunt.  Now, if decide to do some coon or someone needs me to remove a few woodchucks is why I keep the thing around.  Also helps that it's a sweet looking rifle that shoots out dime groups at 100 yards makes it hard to part with.

I have a savage 17hmr that i never shoot because its so damn hard to clean.....   even with the.the rod and brushes I for the gun.I have an old 10/22 that i put on a green mtn barrel and over molded stock that is very accurate....I also have an old Marlin 39A thats an amazing shooter..

I have a savage 17hmr that i never shoot because its so damn hard to clean.....   even with the.the rod and brushes I for the gun.I have an old 10/22 that i put on a green mtn barrel and over molded stock that is very accurate....I also have an old Marlin 39A thats an amazing shooter..

What a coincidence. I talked to a local friend at coffee this morning. He does a lot of buying/selling at flea markets, estate sales, etc.

He told me that he just obtained a bunch of guns from an estate liquidation, and they include a Colt ACE 1911 .22LR AND a Winchester M52 .22 heavy barrel. Both may be very valuable firearms depending on model and condition.

A Colt Ace and a Winchester 52, top of the line and both highly desirable.

Al

Yeah Al...I'll be eager to find out exact models and condition. This same fellow sold a Pre-64 M70 in .22Hornet about a year ago for a very reasonable price. Somebody had drilled/tapped a couple of extra holes in the barrel for a target style scope, so the collector value had been lowered, but the rifle was in fine shape and worth more than what he sold it for just as a shooter.

I'm not in the market for a Colt Ace or a M52, but I would certainly like to look at them and pass the info along to someone who is.

• 2 months later...

I have lots of guns n use quite a few but rimfires have always come w me.

My shooting club has plates set up just for .22.

I have a Belgium browning .22 take down rifle that I still trap w, a Remington bolt action I forget model but it's 30 years old, a savage .22 semi, not my style but reasonably accurate, especially for the plates. My favorites though are a couple Buckmark pistols I have. Can't keep em in safe. Fun guns n they eat everything

• 1 year later...

Years ago I found a great deal on some closeout high end Simmons scopes, these were the last of the good Simmons before they were bought out by Bushnell and now relegated to an economy status scope. Anyhow I mounted a 6.5 X 20 on a Repro Winchester model 52 sporter 22 LR and for bench rest shooting it was the cat's meow, crystal clear lens and on 20X you can see the bullet on it's way to the target and hit it , one of those deals I had it laying around so I used it. The bad was it is a long and heavy scope that made an already heavy rifle a bit much to carry in the squirrel woods so it was time for a change. Looked long and hard for a good deal on a Burris Timberline and finally found a nice used one at the right price. The whole outfit is still heavy at over 7 pounds but it is balanced out a lot better for carrying and hunting. I am a Leupold man but I must say I really like everything about this Burris Timberline.

Al

003.JPG