Why Tesla’s Model 3 Could Be the New Model T

EspressoBuzz

The only thing I have with a lithium battery is my LG flip phone.  And that's because they don't make one that uses anything else.  Oh, and my laptop battery, which doesn't allow for an alternative either.

The point is, lithium is very hazardous, much of it is mined on the surface using strip mining and the land cannot be reclaimed afterwards.  Eco people are OK with it because they want it.  They are against any mining that gathers anything they don't need, regardless of what others need.  It's selective ecology.

How long before people start to realize having huge amounts of stuff powered by lithium is going to be a complete "green" disaster in the future?

• Like 1

I'm not going to argue the point that some mining is more acceptable than other mining because of need. EVERYONE one is like that not just "Eco" people. The fact is most people never think about the mining involved for their products period. Where as mining for energy is always in the news in some sort of way.

BUT, I will argue your position that strip mined land cannot be reclaimed (https://pubs.ext.vt.edu/460/460-123/460-123_pdf.pdf) and that the future will bring a "complete "green" disaster". Both of which don't seem based on fact.

• 3 weeks later...
Tesla’s bioweapon mode is a stroke of genius for developing markets

Tesla today shared details of how effective its particulate filters are. Spoiler alert: They are so good, not only do they clean up the air inside the car, they make the world outside the car cleaner, too. It may not be obvious why this matters: The company is aiming squarely at a very specific type of customer, which may be the company’s way into markets like China and India.

http://techcrunch.com/2016/05/02/tesla-bioweapon-mode-for-whiffy-cities/

The problem with that logic is that you can easily re-fill a hole in the ground and create a pond as oppose to cleaning up chemicals from the river or soil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The result of such a push is that urban environments will have much cleaner air, lower rates of asthma, quieter cities and fewer petro-chemical spills on the streets. The long term impact of electric cars on the urban settings will be huge.

Tesla's Wild New Forecast Changes the Trajectory of an Entire Industry

Tesla just took the most ambitious automotive production timeline since the Ford Model T and moved it up two years.

The company now plans to produce 500,000 electric cars every year starting in 2018. That's 10 times the number of vehicles it produced in 2015, and enough to ensure that all 400,000 customers who put down a $1,000 deposit on the forthcoming Model 3 will qualify for a significant U.S. subsidy.

Talk about doubling down—even the original 2020 goal was considered a long shot by Wall Street. This new target would pledge the carmaker to a faster production growth rate than Ford Motor Co. managed in the early 1900s. That's when Henry Ford pioneered the production line with the Model T, the first mass-market combustion-driven car.

A century later, Tesla Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk wants the Model 3 to be its electric grandchild. He's now aiming for close to a million sales by 2020.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-05-04/tesla-s-wild-new-forecast-changes-the-trajectory-of-an-entire-industry

Edited by EspressoBuzz

I haven't see any on Long Island, but I haven't been looking. Any idea how much you pay for the electric? I am assuming at this point the charge connector is a already universal standard?

Just saw one being put up in Southampton yesterday. Right on 27 before speedway. Said tesla on the charging stations

They look like really nice cars and there is no denying that electric cars are the future , tesla brand is the closet thing right now to the future of electric cars and they still are LOSING 4000 dollars per unit they sell.

I asked you a question, no personal attack. You didn't answer. The item you posted has been passed around so often and debunked just as much. I can show you coal strip mines that look exactly like the supposed lithium mine photo you posted. Oh and I suppose oil pipe spills, oil train derailments, oil rig fires, oil tanker spills don't happen. But you're right that dam Lithium sure is a screwed up stuff to mine. What was I thinking??? Let's stop the electric car now it's a silent killer and Soylent Green is made from people!

Edited by EspressoBuzz

You are missing the point.  Enviro's claim mining is bad for the environment.  Lithium mining is no better than any other type of mining, probably a lot worse, but is seems to be getting a pass from the greenies because it benefits their agenda.  It doesn't necessarily benefit the environment though.  If we are to make an informed decision about future environmental factors, we need to look at all the factors without a jaundiced eye.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

LOL! invest in duracell!

Perhaps instead of seeing more people put out of work decades from now by technology being developed now. We could focus on how eliminating human error we can make our already overcrowded roads safer and faster.

1) Ha! Breitbart

2) Do I really need to post 100 other examples of labor law avoidance by other companies?

The future is coming, accept it.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/11/11656496/tesla-model-s-autonomous-summon-mode-crash

I guess they're not there yet , they blame human error but a self driving car should be able to not crash into a parked object.

Years away for sure but still cool.

I remember when I was talking to a family friend when i was in my early teens. He was telling me about his adventures with Patton in WWII and I was struck by how fast transportation technology had come. Pete was born a decade or so after Kitty Hawk but got to see the moon landing and everything in between. In our own way these changes are happening, some see them with amazement others with trepidation, but none of us can stop it.

Years away for sure but still cool.

I remember when I was talking to a family friend when i was in my early teens. He was telling me about his adventures with Patton in WWII and I was struck by how fast transportation technology had come. Pete was born a decade or so after Kitty Hawk but got to see the moon landing and everything in between. In our own way these changes are happening, some see them with amazement others with trepidation, but none of us can stop it.

No doubt it's a cool feature. Could you imagine walking out of the mall and pressing a button and have your car pick you up at the door . Very Knight Rider ish

• Like 1

No doubt it's a cool feature. Could you imagine walking out of the mall and pressing a button and have your car pick you up at the door . Very Knight Rider ish

My wife would tell you she already has that feature it's called "patient but smoldering husband".

• Like 1

well, most studies haven't been comprehensive but the general feeling is that they are cleaner and will get cleaner every day even if you keep the same electric car.

These anti-electric car studies are silly. (And very important.)

http://www.treehugger.com/cars/these-anti-electric-car-studies-are-silly-and-very-important.html

Koch Brothers To Spend Millions Spewing Anti-Electric Vehicle Propaganda: Report

http://jalopnik.com/koch-brothers-to-spend-millions-spewing-anti-electric-v-1760127883

The Kochs Are Plotting A Multimillion-Dollar Assault On Electric Vehicles

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/koch-electric-vehicles_us_56c4d63ce4b0b40245c8cbf6

Big oil declares war on the electric car

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/big-oil-declares-war-on-the-electric-car-1.2574257

Even if the electric car is equal to gas cars in the total polution cause in its life time, that number will continue to improve at a greater rate than gas cars.

Take a deep breath, smell that? That's the future.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.pcmag.com/news/344958/googles-self-driving-car-learns-rule-1-of-road-rage-honkin

Google's Self-Driving Car Learns Rule 1 of Road Rage: Honking

"Beep beep'm, beep beep, yeah: Google has taught its autonomous vehicles to honk.  But in keeping with the theme of improving upon human drivers, the cars are programmed to blow their horn in the most cordial way."

What's next? A prosthetic arm rises up to flip you the middle finger?

Edited by EspressoBuzz

Why do you keep saying it's the future like it's a good thing?

If you could go back in time to 1950 and show people the America of 2015 telling them it's the future and they should accept it, I think you would find they would start doing a lot of things to prevent it from happening.

• Like 1