New bow - Opening the can of worms

Jaeger

Well I've admitted that my old Hoyt Ram Hunter compound has given up the ghost and am in need of a new compound.

My local shop is getting in a bunch of PSE Stingers and I wondered if any of you have opinions on this bow.

Here's the deal, I shoot mostly longbows, I'm short  and have a short drawlength.  I am NOT a compound bow shooter, meaning I need a very stable bow, not some high end, super sensitive, laser shooting contraption that goes haywire if I even think badly of it.

Would the stinger fit the bill?

Not sure what you mean by haywire, you need to get used to using a release. The rest is just shooting a bow and getting used to it. The big differences would be holding at the end of draw cycle and finding a comfortable release as there are a few different types like thumb or trigger. I'm sure your local bow dealer can help you out, don't get all worried, just relax and enjoy it... try to have fun.

I've heard that a longer axle to axle compound has a similar feel to a recurve/longbow......if that makes any sense, or even possible. If you're going to want to stick to shooting with your fingers that's the way to go. If you're going to a release and short axle to axle, forget about comparing it to either.

I have been a diehard Mathew's owner for over 20 years now. (2 bows) But, after going to the Sportsman's show in Hamburg last month, and stopping at the S&S booth, I think I may make a switch to the "ELITE" brand now. Sooo, a new bow will be in store for me before the start of our bow season this fall.

• Like 2

I have been a diehard Mathew's owner for over 20 years now. (2 bows) But, after going to the Sportsman's show in Hamburg last month, and stopping at the S&S booth, I think I may make a switch to the "ELITE" brand now. Sooo, a new bow will be in store for me before the start of our bow season this fall.

I was a bow tech guy, still have a couple, but I've been shooting Elites for a few years now and love them. I like the long axle to axle and the traditional look to them as opposed to all these over stressed speed bows that most companies are producing.
  • Like 1

based on him asking about the Stinger an Elite might not be an option.  it's at least x2 the money.  they are nice last bow I bought was an Elite.  More over I think the stinger being a 32+" axle-to-axle bow might be uncomfortable to a trad shooter.  I'd go with a longer one say a Bowmaddess version with 33-34" axle-to-axle.  they go down somewhat low for draw length.  definitely shop around on say archery talk or ebay and other places to save some money if you're willing.  there's been some used shorter draw Elite Energy 35 bows on ebay cheaper and would fit you real nice.  ENS cam and you can change modules to get you different draw lengths from 26.5" - 24.5".

• Like 1

I am going to make the switch to Elite when I can afford to.  I shoot a Mathews Z7, which is a great bow, but the draw cycle, "dwell zone" at full draw, and quietness of the Elites is superior.  I've pulled back some PSE's that were somewhat uncomfortable to draw.  At full draw, I was fighting the jumpy cam.  Shoot a few different bows and see which feels most comfortable.  Look into the Mission line by Mathews.  They are comparable in price and adjustability to the Stinger, and you'll probably like the feel and draw cycles better.  

If you go on to Archerytalk.com there are MANY used bows for sale. I have bought three bows in excellent condition and got them cheap. I've shot Bowtech and liked them, I now shoot Elite and love them. My draw length is 32" so I am very limited in the number of bows to choose from.

Shooting a compound with fingers is rough "ouch"... I've done it, but I'm sooo much more accurate with a release.

Edited by nycredneck

Oh I'll definitely be using a release.  I am very susceptible to finger pinch and use a BW stick tite glove w/inserts on my stick bows.

As far as going "haywire", I meant out of tune.  My Hoyt had a flipper and plunger arrangement that was fairly stable (didn't require readjusting) but some of the guys I've seen with newer bows are constantly changing things around.  I need something I can set up and leave it there.

I do appreciate the advice about the draw motion and cams.  My hoyt is a round wheel and the draw has one "bump" spot.  The feel of that bump spot can be eliminated by drawing slowly so it's not so pronounced.  That's the drawing feel I'm looking for.

And yes, since it will not be my primary hunting bow, I do not want to spend a fortune (>~$500) on it.  The big bucks are reserved for my stick bows.

Thanks for the line on a lower priced range of Mathews bows, I'll see if a shop will let me try one but at 27" draw with a compound matching trial arrows (have some) to a shop bow may be a pain for them.

Since you will be using a release that gives u lots of options . Compounds have come a long way,every manufacturer has a budget bow and you really should shoot as many different bows as you can as all are different in draw cycle. try to keep a open mind and try some that you wouldn't think of shooting you would be surprised at how some of the short axle to axle bows shoot .

there's a lot of smooth drawing bows out there with little noticeable hump in the draw cycle.  comparing them to stick bows though even the slightest won't be go completely unnoticed.  once tuned a bow will stay in tune for a long time especially with the use it get with you not using it as a primary bow.  bows only lose tune from shooting over time causing strings and cables to stretch.  strings have come a long way too but your budget bows don't have the best strings from the factory.  many times when you buy a used bow it could have a much better custom string on it that if at all fresh will last longer.

I know you will likely want to shoot one first, but a used elite or obsession that is a few years old will be a great compound (smooth and lifetime transferable warranties) and they can be had for less than $500 on AT. Any modern bow when set up correctly should be good to go without tinkering until you need new strings.

I used to wonder how anyone could spend so much money on a trad bow before I started shooting a recurve. Its just some wood. Now, I have one compound and a few stick bows that are far more costly than any compound I have previously purchased. lol

I was looking for a mild priced compound a few years ago. I shot the stinger and I hated it. That isn't to say you will. Some other choices of bows in that price range were the Hoyt Charger, A G5 (I don't remember the model) and the Bowtech Assassin. I fell in love with the Assassin and I am still shooting it. I believe the Carbon Knight has replaced the Assassin. If I can make one recommendation it is do not purchase a Rak package. Buy a bare bow and then pick out a rest, site etc. I wish I did this, the stuff that came with the Rak package was junk, although I am still using the quiver....