Do i just show up for a 3-D shoot?

ApexerER

I have never even seen what a 3-D archery shoot is so I have never obviously attended one. I didn't even know there was such a thing since reading about them on this forum. Well yesterday I drove past my local gun club and they have a sign out that says there is a 3-d shoot 5/29. I was thinking it would be fun to give it a shot. Would I look like an idiot showing up there with my not top of the line hunting rig? (Bowtech Assassin)

How far do you generally shoot? How many arrows would I bring? Can I use a rangefinder of do I have to guess? Can someone give me a rundown on what I could expect. It is the Kadeross Fish and game club if anyone is going to attend. I don't want to look like a complete idiot....

• Like 1

There are different "Classes" of shooters.  Your best option would be open or "Hunter" class.  You will have a good time and people are generally friendly and helpful.  Enjoy yourself!

Edited by WingNut
  • Like 1

Find out what the max yardage is for each group/class....ie hunter class is IBO max 35 yards I believe...expert hunter, and open. Pick I class you feel comfortable and have at it.

Try to join a group that isn't full and enjoy learning the ins and outs of 3d archery along the way.

Carry a bunch of arrows...when shooting in a group some can become damaged and if you are having difficulty guessing yardage you may lose a few.

Report back and let us know how your first experience went!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It's fun ApexerER!    I would bring at least 6 arrows 9 in case of damage or miss.  Binoculars are sometimes allowed and helps with identifying the center area but range finders are not usually allowed for match play.  Go with no expectations except to enjoy the day and it can be real fun with a good group!    Don't worry beginner 3D shooters are always welcome! 

I'm not far from there, maybe 15 mins.

3D shoots are fun, I don't go to many any more but when we did we didn't even keep score. I think we had just as much fun finding lost arrows.

Where abouts? I live in a neighbor hood right of Geyser Rd...so I am less than 5 min away...

Bunch of guys on my FD started shooting in a weekly indoor one. Soon other guys at work wanted to try it, guys who never shot a bow once in their lives. They started out sharing bows with the other guys, and then buying entry level ones.

They did fine , I certainly would not worry about what bow you have.

Of of these newbies, one in fact turned out to be one of the best shooters in the league his first year......

Enjoy and good luck .