Trumpet calls, anyone use one ?

turkeyfeathers

Here's a good place to start, my buddy Del in GA put these videos together to help people get started.

I was also going to link you to John Dangerfield's site because he used to have a clip on there that included him doing purrs on a trumpet which was amazing, but sadly I don't see the clip anymore. Del's videos will get you started though. I mostly cluck and yelp on mine with some cutts and kee-kee's mixed in (yes I mix in kee-kee notes even in spring).

IMG_2354_zps8zatcpvb.jpg

_DSC2394_zpszqqcpat4.jpg

Edited by alloutdoors
  • Like 2

They are not that tough but they are a little pricey. Mark sharpe makes fantastic cane calls which run in a similar fashion but a lot cheaper. Look him up his work will blow your mind it's fantastic. He also makes. Wing bones , another cheaper way to learn suction type calls

Sounds like a chipmunk to me...

I  have no doubt that  people kill turkeys with them, but I have never been impressed by anyone I have ever heard running one, including that guy in the video.

I have two beautiful custom wingbone calls hanging on display, which were made for me by friends of mine.

Pretty to look at, but I never take them hunting.

I  have talked to guys who have done well with them..Sometimes being a little "different" makes  the difference..

As por MOI,  I'll stick to something that sounds more like a turkey to me...Not saying they are not effective...I guess that what sounds good to the gobbler is what is important.

• Like 1

I have talked to guys who have done well with them..Sometimes being a little "different" makes the difference..

As por MOI, I'll stick to something that sounds more like a turkey to me...Not saying they are not effective...I guess that what sounds good to the gobbler is what is important.

Confidence keeps you trying

Don't use a trumpet, but use wingbone. Similar just bone vs wood.. has great tone, yelps are very realistic, as are clucks.. use by kissing it suckling in.. takes some practice but worth using for call shy birds