They planted the field next door...

I can not tell what they planted...now they didn't spread this spring though they did last fall...and I cant tell from the tracks what they planted. The rig drove by me as I raked rocks but the boom was folded up and the pines blocked most of my view...It did have at least two liquid tanks and it looked like multiple small seed bins spaced along the folded boom arms.Trying to figure out how much corn I'm going to want to plant this year.

I was kinda hoping that would open up comments on grain /corn planters...to give me an early idea on what went in...It's been a while, all this new equipment looks so different...the tractor that prepped the field had a combo chisel plow,disc and what looked like an old fashioned rotary push mower behind it. Then something,I do not know what, on a side boom. 

Anyways I have been taking the long way home to check out whats happening...I always try to plant the opposite of what the farmers do...my little postage stamp has to draw when every thing they planted is cut in the fall. If it's mainly alfalfa/clovers and winter grains I want at least a good amount of standing corn. Now for me that's only 1-11/2 acres...but that's always been enough, with what I plant around it. If mainly alfalfa...I want more clovers and brassica...Right now I have double the clover ,but 2 plots have gotten sprayed to put in brassica...They were over run with moss...Some WW is being left to seed out and that will get a combo of clover /brassica in the fall.

How do you decide what to plant?

We have had an increase in soy beans around here. I know the crop farmer now grows them. I do not know if this milk farmer does. I know he sees how well mine have grown up here so... I saw they took a serious amount of chopped corn from this field last year and usually he will plant corn on a 3-4 year rotation on other fields. This being only in production a few years he hasn't done that, I suppose trying either, to improve the soil or figure which crop that will give best yield.

The beef farm that butts up to us has finally gotten most of his field out of corn and into pasture mix. He used the corn as a weed killer...planting two years then reducing corn in favor of pasture mix...he has been doing this across the field for a few years and now has a 30 ft x half mile strip left...not sure if it will be grains or corn this year. if grains he'll plant the pasture late in the summer. That will really change things up.

Actually...he plant early for this field...always the last /memorial day  weekend in May. Well wasn't suppose to and the weather channel said it was 69 and sunny here yesterday as it was pouring and 56. The field should sprout in a few days.

I suppose you could guess that if you wish.

When I say neighbor,that means land. All 4 farmers that border US live miles away. Second this is the busiest,other than harvest,season for them.I would never attempt to pop in for a casual chat to any farm this time of year. Especially for something so trivial. I'd never interrupt their help.

Now to answer your question.this particular farm spreads manure.The first year he rented this field they contaminated our well.BTW documented proof...last year they spread less than 50 ft from the well.Illegal. We opted to call them instead of turn them in to the. DEC.They tried to rectify the situation and left with hand shakes.

It's corn!!!!  Lord they certainly do pack it in tight now days...I don't think there's much more than a 18" between rows. I Remember as a kid being able to run between the mature corn rows playing hide and seek or war...

Also real surprised he didn't spread manure this late winter first...Though he has purchased another big potato farm that went out of business...So that land could be using up a lot of his tankers to get in shape not missing the smell that's for sure... ;) Now I know what to plant ....