Favorite Bear Recipe

BKhunter

I have only had bear a couple times but I was taught to slow cook it if possible to make sure it is thoroughly cooked. Someone gave me some stew meat from a bear they got and here is how I did mine:

Put stew meat in crock pot

Add a large can of cream of mushroom soup

Add a packet of Beefy onion soup mix

Cut up carrots, celery, onions, mushroom

Add a big spoonful of minced garlic, add pepper as desired

Cook on low ~7-8 hours

Serve over mashed potatoes

I make venison roasts the exact same way, its delicious

• 1 month later...

Probably well after the fact, but,,,

Bear is actually quite fine., but needs to be cooked well. It makes fine stew, use in place of beef as you normally would. I would use some beef stock to help the flavoring. Be absolutely sure to trim all fat .

Most of the last couple I got we cooked pot roast style. Again, cook almost entirely as you would beef, add a couple cups beef stock (tough to get bear stock), I sear it in bacon grease for some fat content (all fat having been trimmed ), add the stock, a couple Vidalia onions , I usually par boil taters and carrots separate then add them.I sometimes add a couple diced apples to the roast to sweeten it a bit.

to make  stew, I use almost the same start , just dice  up the meat small, add, several stalks of diced celery, garlit, ample dose of black pepper, a tablespoon or so of Worcestershire sauce, and a can of tomato soup, oregano, and some rosemary.. I like to make a rich stock,

Hmmm bear meat is very fatty, its best cooked on a rack or grill so the excess grease comes off. So many guys don't Iike bear meat because of improper cooking. 

if it's any kind of chops brush butter n Worcestershire on it as it grills n finish it off w green pepper on top. 

Another real easy way is accent food seasoning n just grill it. 

if it's stew meat use it for Shis ka bobs seasoning on of the two ways. 

One of the best meats there is

I have heard that the size of the bear makes a big difference in flavor.  Those under 200 lbs are good, while those much over that, not so hot.  A friend shot real big one with a record-book skull up in Canada a few years ago and the guides just brought the hide out of the woods, leaving the carcass for the scavengers.  Another friend took a 180 lb (field dressed) bear down on the PA line the same year.  He gave me some of it and it made excellent crock-pot stew, slightly better than your average venison.

don't let this one try at bear make up your mind, its how the game is handled from field through freezer that makes the flavor or destroys it.

there's a guy from CT I know that marinates everything I give him in Italian dressing...everything tastes like Italian dressing then, the she the goat the mtn lion, whats he care what I give him ...its going to taste like his sauce, marinade etc not the meat.

bear is best prepared like you handle pork, so you can still taste it,  we tried this a year ago from blue apron and use it with bear all the time with company, its fantastic.

https://www.blueapron.com/recipes/pork-larb-with-coconut-rice

and let's hope he took care of it like a really great steak and didn't drive around with it for 2 days or drag it through a drainage ditch then hang it in the garage for everyone to come see...would anyone do that with a prime rib?? not many but I see people do it with game from rabbits to grouse to big game all the time...

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 6:58 AM, BKhunter said:

A buddy of mine gave me a package of bear meat last night. I never cooked bear meat so not sure how to prepare it. What is everyone favorite recipe for bear?

FOUND IT!   this recipe with bear is FANTASTIC, I'm drooling just remembering it...

.https://www.blueapron.com/recipes/congee-caramelized-pork-with-crispy-shallots-and-black-garlic

and it was great with the pork too...

• Like 1