Leasing Ruins Conservation

Tacti_Steve

Yea I got that awhile back lol...but seriously when you have lived in an area you whole life and watch big city money move in and buy up al the leases it hurts the community. Their needs to be better way or else this state is going to suffer... I also believe that the majority of lease hunters are horn hunters can't prove it but can't prove there not either...personally why would you pay to shoot a 4 point or a doe...most wouldn't but again that's my opinion from what I've seen locally Wich hurts the decs plans on management and cases doe only seasons and other off the wall tactics

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Now this I truly disagree with, I have hunted a long time and I'm buying my land, granted its hard to get doe tags where I'm buying and there are ar's in place but I will be happy to shoot a doe with my bow and any legal buck with my bow or rifle.... I do love shooting big bucks but I hunt for the meat. Not because I need to buy because I like to eat it.... I would lease and do the exact same thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now this I truly disagree with, I have hunted a long time and I'm buying my land, granted its hard to get doe tags where I'm buying and there are ar's in place but I will be happy to shoot a doe with my bow and any legal buck with my bow or rifle.... I do love shooting big bucks but I hunt for the meat. Not because I need to buy because I like to eat it.... I would lease and do the exact same thing

Like I said can't prove one way or another and I also shoot for meant and fill a few different freezers and have a hard time getting doe tags here so hunt the fingerlakes in stateland to help there...but I really believe alot of leases are big buck clubs just like everywhere else in the states

It is what it is. I personally never like seeing city folk come up and buy or lease anything but there's nothing I could ever do to stop it. Sure there's some city guys who are excellent neighbors to have but a lot of the time it's not a good experience. But in the end it comes down to having that money. You want it? Go make it and spend it. I've got permission to hunt the 50 acres behind my house and I fully intend on buying that land in the near future as the owner is old and her daughter will be selling it once the mother(owner) passes. All I know is that I have to bust my ass at work for the next couple years and I'll get it done.

Where there's a will there's always a way!

• Like 3

Life is full of choices. I make a very modest income and about 1/4 of my income goes to taxes on my land and my leases. I drive a crappy old truck and live in a trailer. I live without a lot so I can have what I want "land and guns." I would be willing to bet that many of you that are complaining that you can't afford a lease pay more for car payments than I do both of my leases in a year.

• Like 3

Life is full of choices. I make a very modest income and about 1/4 of my income goes to taxes on my land and my leases. I drive a crappy old truck and live in a trailer. I live without a lot so I can have what I want "land and guns." I would be willing to bet that many of you that are complaining that you can't afford a lease pay more for car payments than I do both of my leases in a year.

I agree hopefully when wife goes back to work that means I'd have more money...that's what sucks I have an excellent job making good money for the area and yet still can't compete with city money around here anyway

• Like 1

I agree hopefully when wife goes back to work that means I'd have more money...that's what sucks I have an excellent job making good money for the area and yet still can't compete with city money around here anyway

Pretty much same boat here. Wife will go back to work and run her fathers business in a couple years when the little ones are all in school full time. Until then I just work my ass off to get what we want. I could easily get rid of our nice newer vehicles and the 4 wheeler and all the other toys we buy...but....I'm the kind who wants his cake and to eat it too. I refuse to accept anything but the best from life and will continue working harder than the guy next to me to obtain everything my heart desires. Everyone can have everything they want...just comes down to how bad do you REALLY want it.

That and my parents are a-holes and have tried to hold me back and tell me I can't obtain anything without their support...well guess what....you were wrong!!!

• Like 4

Pretty much same boat here. Wife will go back to work and run her fathers business in a couple years when the little ones are all in school full time. Until then I just work my ass off to get what we want. I could easily get rid of our nice newer vehicles and the 4 wheeler and all the other toys we buy...but....I'm the kind who wants his cake and to eat it too. I refuse to accept anything but the best from life and will continue working harder than the guy next to me to obtain everything my heart desires. Everyone can have everything they want...just comes down to how bad do you REALLY want it.

That and my parents are a-holes and have tried to hold me back and tell me I can't obtain anything without their support...well guess what....you were wrong!!!

Yea my daughter starts full day pre k next week sons in 1st I work 45 plus a week normally 50 also love my toys...just bought new (to me) truck bc mine was junk and when the wife starts and gets steady she will get a newish car too...gotta have reliable stuff to get to work. I don't know that I'll even lease I may try to buy a piece If I end up south but that's another issue. Someday I will own the house and 100 acres that I live right next to probably 10 to 15 years before it hits the Market again they just bought it wish I had been ready to buy it but I will retire in that house with that property someday

Yea my daughter starts full day pre k next week sons in 1st I work 45 plus a week normally 50 also love my toys...just bought new (to me) truck bc mine was junk and when the wife starts and gets steady she will get a newish car too...gotta have reliable stuff to get to work. I don't know that I'll even lease I may try to buy a piece If I end up south but that's another issue. Someday I will own the house and 100 acres that I live right next to probably 10 to 15 years before it hits the Market again they just bought it wish I had been ready to buy it but I will retire in that house with that property someday

Good to see there's more guys out there with that type of mindset. With rampant laziness in society today it's harder to come by people who have high goals in their sights and are going to get there one way or another.

I've got a 3 yr old and a 2 yr old that still need to get off to school before the wifey takes the reins from her dad at his shop. Once that happens, things should get much easier and our life plans will be accelerated tenfold. Until then I'm grinding away 60-78 hours a week to make things happen. I do hate missing out on time with my boys but I hope they can forgive me someday and cherish the type of life we want to provide them with. That and I hope to be pretty much retired by my late 30s. So I figure if I go all out now I can have so many years of free time down the road with them!

• Like 1

Heck yeah I'm looking at late 40s with the right luck...I'll still work just not for someone else lol

I hear ya. I just hope everyday that all the cards fall in the right places. Looking good so far but life can throw curve balls at ya lol.

O ya I can't wait to never work for someone else again! Truth be told, our goal is to eventually stack away as much money after the wife takes control of the business then eventually sell when the kids graduate high school and move out to Iowa and buy a farm. I can farm to cover taxes and put a little coin in our pockets but we won't be reliant on it. And I would like to open and run a small hunting outfit. Have a very small number of guys a year. Maybe 5-8 depending on acreage size. Just enough to cover my hunting hobby expenses lol. I used to guide out west before settling down and I miss guiding guys to monster bucks.

That's the goal at least. We will see how it shakes out in the end :)

6 hours ago, stoneam2006 said:

For me it's not the leasing that bugs me it's the fact that alot of land has now gone toward leasing instead of being able to obtain permission. The state want to control the numbers how about paying some land owners in the problem areas to open up the doors to hunters maybe even a lottery type hunt. Can hunt this farm for the season by wining the lottery. Many of us don't have 1000s to lease land bc city folk come up and throw down big money. Let's make leased land make one year taxable income and see how that fares landowners. Land is being leased up by guys willing to spend way more than the average Joe that may have been hunting it for 30 years...leasing sucks still

I really think something like this should happen. Or even just get SERIOUS about a statewide, state-endorsed leasing system. Something to hook up the tons of hunters with the farmers. I understand if you have a bunch of land and a bunch of deer you're not going to necessarily want any old person showing up, but what if you have a list of hunters who've registered with NY, NY then keeps a history/reference system of some sort, reaffirms that the land owner is 100% not liable for anything if it is part of the system. 

• Like 1

I really think something like this should happen. Or even just get SERIOUS about a statewide, state-endorsed leasing system. Something to hook up the tons of hunters with the farmers. I understand if you have a bunch of land and a bunch of deer you're not going to necessarily want any old person showing up, but what if you have a list of hunters who've registered with NY, NY then keeps a history/reference system of some sort, reaffirms that the land owner is 100% not liable for anything if it is part of the system. 

And a state givin tax incentive or the like. I mean I hunt everything from coon to deer farmers love to have coon shot but most leases I've talked to guys about only deer hunt...it would benefit everyone to have the state try and help landowners open up instead of just taking the highest bidder

• Like 1

On the surface that sounds like a good idea but we all know NY would mess it up some how!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Lots of truth to this. I have a habit lately of leasing vehicles. There are worse habits, but from a purely financial perspective, it's not ideal.

As for kids, each one of mine have been a nuclear holocaust on our finances. I could go into great detail, but it's nothing none of us haven't heard before or experienced first hand.

absolutely disagree, our club leases 1900 acres and do more for deer conservation efforts / deer management than any single owner could afford to or have time to do.  We hunt our tags as well.  What I mean tags are used as they are issued and legal bucks are taken when opportunity presents.  I don't want to go off track and make this a QDM thread.  Rather just focus on how lessors take care of and manage their leases.

Will someone please explain to me why when someone is  says no.....They assume the lands not getting hunted.  Also sound like because land being leased Ian' t being hunted well enough? 

BTW...For you guys wanting to buy land near you, I hope your not waiting until it goes up on the market. Be proactive and go to the owner tell them your wishes, show yourself worthy of their land. What we have purchased was from a farmer that sold to us over his 13 kids. Another property the owner never contacted me after my initial letter.What they did is put us in their will as the first people to be offered the property if the family she willed it to.

Edited by growalot

I may be wrong but I still think Steve is just mad because the land owner told him and his father to drag their sorry a$$'s and never come back after he learned of their illegal ways. I would also put money on the fact that the other guy is the one that told the landowner and I don't blame him one bit. I know I wouldn't want to be hunting the same property as someone with the ethics "or lack there of" as Steve and his father.

16 hours ago, Core said:

I just came upon this article. Didn't much care for it because let's get real if the author owned that 300 acres he would do what all other land-owning hunters do: keep it to himself.

What he failed to point out is that it is also applicable to private land owners. I am surrounded by amazing deer hunting land and nothing but posted signs (I don't blame them though).

When you say 'keep it to himself', do you mean 'hunts own property with family and friends' ? How many regular hunters can 300 acres sustain during a season? If the owner invites 6-8 regular hunters in, is that too few?

The reason private hunting grounds are posted is generally because the owner hunts them. I know of only one private area in my location where no hunting is allowed. It is a feeder of large bucks to the surrounding properties, one of which I have access too. Biggest bucks around are in this spot.

I have access to a modest 40 acres. It is heavily posted. I invite anywhere from 2- 4 people to hunt it on a given day. Is this too few? Should I allow all n sundry to wander through whenever they feel like it? 4 people on 40 acres can practically wave at each other unless the stands are placed in the farthest corners.I prefer to keep it to 3 or less.

Edited by Papist

I also know that surrounding private posted hunting lands are heavily hunted. It is like WW3 for those opening weekends. This is why I like to be done n out during bow if I can. It starts to feel like bumper cars in the woods.

Private hunting lots in my area are probably more heavily pressured than state land 

• Like 1

Same here, guys hunt the same private 20 acres day after day while there's 1000 public acres down the road that sits empty most days.

This thread is nothing but a whoa is me pity party.
Is leasing the best model I can think of? No it's not however short of taking away private property rights I don't see how you can prevent it. It's like anything else in life some of it's good and some of it's bad

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Papist said:

When you say 'keep it to himself', do you mean 'hunts own property with family and friends' ? How many regular hunters can 300 acres sustain during a season? If the owner invites 6-8 regular hunters in, is that too few?

The reason private hunting grounds are posted is generally because the owner hunts them. I know of only one private area in my location where no hunting is allowed. It is a feeder of large bucks to the surrounding properties, one of which I have access too. Biggest bucks around are in this spot.

I have access to a modest 40 acres. It is heavily posted. I invite anywhere from 2- 4 people to hunt it on a given day. Is this too few? Should I allow all n sundry to wander through whenever they feel like it? 4 people on 40 acres can practically wave at each other unless the stands are placed in the farthest corners.I prefer to keep it to 3 or less.

Keep it to himself and/or family/friends. To reiterate: I don't slight somebody for this. If you've dropped a small fortune buying land and pay property taxes for it each/year, I sure wouldn't expect a free ride to hunt it.

I also know that surrounding private posted hunting lands are heavily hunted. It is like WW3 for those opening weekends.

I don't even think the huge acre after acre of farmland near me is heavily hunted. I am not even sure I heard a single gun shot last year (in previous years I certainly have). I see some cars parked here and there but not a ton.

Same here, guys hunt the same private 20 acres day after day while there's 1000 public acres down the road that sits empty most days.

Interesting you say this. Last year I had to drive 40 min to where I hunt on public land with not many people on it. Many times on this trip I saw the same car parked 4 min from my house. When I finally got a deer, the same car was still hunting that property later in the month. Now, it's possible he was on his third deer, but I like to pretend he wasn't!

Edited by Core