What are you using this season?

Borngeechee

I plan to use my new/old  Springfield 03A3   in 30-06.

It was manufactured by Remington in the early days of WWII.

It wears an old Weaver V7 scope and groups  around 1.5 inches at 100 yards  with the same  load that I use for my M1 Garand, a 150 grain spritzer at around 2700 FPS muzzle velocity.

Sighted dead on at 100, it's about 3 inches low at 200.

Where would it be at 300 yards Pygmy?   I ask because I am shooting similar 30-06 ammo from my Ruger M77 (Federal classic 150) and today it was also dead on at 100 yards.  For many years, I had it hitting 2-1/2" high but a couple weeks ago it fell out of my truck and hit the dirt when I got back from the range.   After tightening all the scope mount screws and shooting it again today, the 100 yard 3-shot group was centered right on the bull.  I have a hot-spot that offers a good 300 yard shot, after the leaves are down, so I would like to know what holdover to use (if any).   With the 2-1/2 high zero, I did not have to worry about holdover out to 350 yards.

I decided to leave it where it is for several reasons, first I am somewhat of a cheapskate and I hate to waste ammo.  Second, I am going to hunt the Northern Zone Opener on October 22 this year and there will likely be lots of leaves on the trees, limiting range.   And third, I always tend to aim a little high on long shots anyhow.  

Where would it be at 300 yards Pygmy?   I ask because I am shooting similar 30-06 ammo from my Ruger M77 (Federal classic 150) and today it was also dead on at 100 yards.  For many years, I had it hitting 2-1/2" high but a couple weeks ago it fell out of my truck and hit the dirt when I got back from the range.   After tightening all the scope mount screws and shooting it again today, the 100 yard 3-shot group was centered right on the bull.  I have a hot-spot that offers a good 300 yard shot, after the leaves are down, so I would like to know what holdover to use (if any).   With the 2-1/2 high zero, I did not have to worry about holdover out to 350 yards.

I decided to leave it where it is for several reasons, first I am somewhat of a cheapskate and I hate to waste ammo.  Second, I am going to hunt the Northern Zone Opener on October 22 this year and there will likely be lots of leaves on the trees, limiting range.   And third, I always tend to aim a little high on long shots anyhow.  

My carbine 06's shoot about 2700fps as well with my Barnes 165's and at 300yds I'm about 9" low with a 100 yd zero. With your 150's I would say you would be in the 6-7" low range with the 100yd zero.

On a side note there is no such thing as a waste of ammo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Sorry...Can't get rid of this damn underline..

I have not shot this load at 300,, But I think it would be  8" to 12 " low at 300...

I'm betting that if you had a 300 yard shot, holding on the back line or showing just a red CH above it  would put you in the kill zone.. I'm not too worried about it since my max shot will be perhaps 250, and I am sure that a high ( but not off hair) shot would do the trick.

Thanks guy's, that is very helpful information for me.  I am down to my last couple boxes of those Federals so I would like to make every one count.  It sounds like I can hold on the backline and be good to about 350.  I think I can live with that.   After the leaves come down, I will use my new Laser rangefinder to be certain of the range at that hot-spot.