Where did that G4 go?

growalot

I told what happened d in live from the stand...Now other than the loudness of arrow release the doe miss was purely on me. Long hold on a deer that got spooky at my draw. I'm sure my arm creeped up a bit. That does not explain the missing broad head and insert....it was clearly there when I shot. I would think the force of the shot would have held it in place.The arrow had Zero damage and I dug and dug never to find it.

No and I had just checked that for tightness when I put the arrows in the quiver Friday night...all were tight...the Carbon express I bought last year. I'm taking the morning off,this year will be hunt a few times let the woods rest. Early season is mainly checking movement around different areas and times. Though I had prepared to get a doe last night for Wilson's...Temps are going to near 80 this week. I am going down there with a shovel today unless someone tells me that broadband managed to leave the shaft before it hit...the shaft was only in the ground 2"'s. I dug out a 1 ft circle where I pulled it out,with a hard maple stick...nothing but dirt and stones.

3 minutes ago, growalot said:

Yes...

Old Faithful is a tree stand?

If so, look under your stand. 

It wasn't (I know; it was at one point) glued in properly.  Then it was inserted in your quiver in preparation for the hunting season.  When you pulled the arrow out of the quiver after getting into your stand on the day of the issue, the broadhead and insert stayed in the quiver, lodged in the foam.  You didn't notice that the broadhead was missing when you loaded the arrow........

At the shot, the broadhead/insert fell to the ground and is there now, in plain sight.

When I'm not cruising Hunting Chat Rooms, I'm solving crimes around the world.  :rofl:

• Like 1

That's impossible for me...I aim down the point of broad head. S poo as I waited for that doe to finally clear the leafy branches above her I was looking at that pink G4. It was on the end of the shaft...though the sound it made makes me think it wasn't there on impact. What I can't understand is how it could possible have left the shaft between the release and impact.

OK, one more shot at this..........

The broadhead tipped arrow hit the point of the shoulder and the impact was so extreme that the arrow separated from the insert and tumbled to the ground.

Your eyes told you that you missed completely but your ears told a different tale.  Next week that old doe will come into one of your setups and your aim will be true.

Mystery solved.

No because as I said off she went...but she circled around and passed back as I was un hooking and  and gathering gear to get down..besides the shaft was completely clean..to be honest it wasn't even dirty when I pulled it from the ground...I'm taking the shovel down later.

Did the arrow stop and the broadhead  burred into the soil deeper? My Steel Force 125's use to pull the insert out of the arrow on ground in pack. I started gluing my own inserts into the arrows. The glue would stick to the steel, but not the carbon.  Now having trouble with pre glued vanes coming off 2 year old Carbon Express arrows. Manufactures glue not holding. Quite frustrating taking a shot and seeing vanes flying off.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, growalot said:

I had to find it...I'm so cheap!...but I really dug around there so it was bugging me...Landtrac your right I think thats what happened...I now need to find where I put my fletching glue...wonder if Elmers wood would work...lol

Fletching glue?  Elmer's?

Surely you're joking....................

• Like 2

It is setting with Gorilla glue as I type...yes guys a joke and they were glued in at factory...didn't have a problem last year and as I said I checked them Friday...but 17 yards and hitting the tangle of roots it hit didn't help...though, I still wonder about the noise...I have shot since no problem and I know I didn't hit a sleeve...Oh well...I found it    shaft is still good and insert is....just checked tight again...just need to get the stone out and sharpen the blade...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, growalot said:

PS.......... any tips to sharpening these G4's I have two from last year that need sharpening...I have 6 all together and my thunderheads...

yea just go equal strokes on a larger flat stone or diamond grit sharpening pad.  it should be wide enough to set two of the blades flat on it with full contact.  sharpen each side equally to maintain broadhead balance.  then if you can weigh them and match them with arrows for consistent weight between ready to shoot/hunt arrows.  G5 sells a stone for their Montec heads (what you have).

they're the easiest because same angle is always maintained.

• Like 1

I'm curious how the insert fit in the carbon shaft was.  I've had arrows that will lose inserts.  fit wasn't snug to begin with.  they'd fall right in.  I typically use BSI glue for inserts.  works well.  Gorilla glue is good too if it's the impact tough formula that can take the shock of impact.