One lung hit. Thoughts?

NonTypical

The broadhead doesn't provide any kinetic energy, a less than ideal hit on these deer is what caused the deer to go so far. A one lung hit is a one lung hit, doesn't matter much what head you use. Consider going to a heavier arrow if penetration is a concern.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I have read that kinetic energy is lost in mechanical broad heads. Also, a fixed broad head would have done greater damage early in entering the cavity. This arrow bounced off somewhere. Possibly the opposite shoulder. I think it's possible a different broad head may have punched through or at least broke that leg. This would have forced that deer to stop sooner. Total speculation.

My root cause for wanting to change broadheads is purely psychological. I have lost the confidence in the tool. It is my feeling that changing is equivalent to wiping the slate clean. That's all. Whether I switch to a fixed broad head or stick with mechanicals I feel the change is going to help my confidence, that I will recover deer that I make quality hits.

P.S.

I hit a good buck last year in the shoulder. Absolutely no penetration from 15 yards with my bow set at 60 lbs., same broad heads. I hear stories on this site of guys punching right through. Now in this case it was a less than ideal shot. But this one was no less frustrating than the one from the other day.

I have read that kinetic energy is lost in mechanical broad heads. Also, a fixed broad head would have done greater damage early in entering the cavity. This arrow bounced off somewhere. Possibly the opposite shoulder. I think it's possible a different broad head may have punched through or at least broke that leg. This would have forced that deer to stop sooner. Total speculation.
My root cause for wanting to change broadheads is purely psychological. I have lost the confidence in the tool. It is my feeling that changing is equivalent to wiping the slate clean. That's all. Whether I switch to a fixed broad head or stick with mechanicals I feel the change is going to help my confidence, that I will recover deer that I make quality hits.
P.S.
I hit a good buck last year in the shoulder. Absolutely no penetration from 15 yards with my bow set at 60 lbs., same broad heads. I hear stories on this site of guys punching right through. Now in this case it was a less than ideal shot. But this one was no less frustrating than the one from the other day.

You can lose some energy with mechanicals but it's minimal compared to what you're losing with a light arrow/lighter draw weight combination. There's a real possibility that with a fixed head you wouldn't have found any of the mentioned animals either. As far as a fixed head doing damage sooner in the cavity, im not seeing that as playing a factor. A single lung hit deer can be one of the toughest to find, blood can be sparse, they can travel a long ways, sometimes they may even live (not often). I'm assuming you're currently using a large cut mechanical, with marginal shots that don't contact bone these heads are often very beneficial with proper penetration. A smaller fixed head would've only penetrated further and cut a smaller channel, meaning unless there was a vital that the fixed heads increase of penetration would've allowed it to damage, the results would've been the same. I understand your logic for losing faith in the head psychologically, but the greater emphasis should always be put in shot placement and secondly penetration, it doesn't matter what head your using when these two things are right. Brush off the loss, get out there and practice as much as you can and make the outcome different next time!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Gearing up for the last week of bow in 3s. I just bought a new pack of broad heads. I decided to stay with mechanicals for now because I don't want to be re-tuning all of my gear at this point. I did change to a different mechanical. Looking for some better results. Also, I'm going to really try and focus on shot placement. This is something that I've struggled with in the past. I work real hard, practice quite a bit but because I haven't shot a ton of deer with the bow when it comes to that moment I find that I tend to point and shoot rather than focus on all of the things you need to do for the shot to be successful. It's like a tunnel vision kind a thing when I get excited. It's almost like I check out for that split second and then after the shot I come back and say "what did I just do"?
This last deer pissed me off because I feel like I have been improving from that and really felt I was conscience of the things I needed to do. Bow Hunting is quite a challenge.

Gearing up for the last week of bow in 3s. I just bought a new pack of broad heads. I decided to stay with mechanicals for now because I don't want to be re-tuning all of my gear at this point. I did change to a different mechanical. Looking for some better results. Also, I'm going to really try and focus on shot placement. This is something that I've struggled with in the past. I work real hard, practice quite a bit but because I haven't shot a ton of deer with the bow when it comes to that moment I find that I tend to point and shoot rather than focus on all of the things you need to do for the shot to be successful. It's like a tunnel vision kind a thing when I get excited. It's almost like I check out for that split second and then after the shot I come back and say "what did I just do"?
This last deer pissed me off because I feel like I have been improving from that and really felt I was conscience of the things I needed to do. Bow Hunting is quite a challenge.

Try a muzzy mx3 shouldn't need to tune much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/21/2016 at 7:16 AM, pt0217 said:

For what it's worth.....

One thing I used to struggle with is follow through.....it is very important that you must follow through with your shot; no peeking/dropping your bow arm etc.  I seemed to have moved past this issue about 15 or 16 years ago when I went back to a compound after about 12 years with traditional gear. 

• Like 1