Venison Recipes!

Rabbithunter1

It is hard to beat just tossing them whole into an iron frying pan on the stove, with a little olive oil, and searing them lightly, so they come out a bit on the rare side.   It don't get much better than whitetail fillet mignon.  We have our third set in the fridge right now this season and it will be time to cook them in a few more days.  My youngest daughter really liked them that way.   I give her the ends that are a little more "medium rare" and I eat the center sections.  I would take those over beef fillets any day.   Any spices you add just takes away from the excellent natural flavor.   I might toss a pair of "oysters" in with these ones (couldn't on the last ones from does).  If you try that, slit them with a knife first or they will explode in the pan.                  

Edited by wolc123
addition
  • Like 1

The last time I had tenderloins, I placed two of them side by side and stuffed goat cheese in the middle, then tied it together with butcher twine.  I also wrapped peppered bacon around it.  Grilled it on the gas grill on medium to low heat.  Took about twenty minutes, it was done when the bacon was crispy and starting to blacken.   You definitely want it to be rare to medium rare (at the most). The outer thinner edges will be more well done, those are the parts my wife eats, I get the rest!

I'm a fan of the smoker but as wolc123 says, frying pan, I prefer butter, salt and pepper is so good.  I usually cook down some leeks and some sort of flavorful mushrooms too.

If you check out the What's in your smoker thread I have a bunch of pictures of how I smoke venison though.

here is my go to loin recipe......

- cut the loin into medallions

-pound them out to about 1 1/2 inch thick or so

-season with salt and pepper

-light dredge in seasoned flour

-pan fry in olive oil and butter until they have a nice sear on each side, but still not cooked

-remove from pan and wipe out any leftover grease.

-saute a shallot and garlic in some butter

-add a decent red wine to the pan and let reduce a little

-then add some brown gravy (homemade is the best) but a good pre-made store one will do

-Return the venison to the pan and let cook together in the sauce for 5-10 minutes

-add some butter and season to taste

• Like 1