heading up again

rachunter

heading back up to the dacks again this time for ten days!!!! looks like its going to be warm like the ml season.i'm bringing the ml and 06 i'd really like to take a decent buck with the smoke pole.for the last three years this has been week i've seen good deer movement,so i'm pumped and ready.:taunt:

anyone up in lower 5h seeing much rutting?

• Like 1

I just returned from a long weekend up in 6C (Fri, Sat, Sunday).  On Saturday, I finally saw some antlers up there. As I was still-hunting between spots, I noted a four-pointer feeding on red-oak acorns up high on a ridge top.  He got a pass from me this time, but might not if I see him when we go back up for the long Thanksgiving weekend (If I am unable to fill my buck tag on opening weekend at home in the Southern zone).  I also flushed out a doe on Friday, and an unidentified deer this morning while still-hunting between spots.  

I have hunted up there 10 days so far this season, including most of ML season. opening day of gun and this past weekend.   I have seen about 10 deer total, all while still hunting, but only that one set of antlers.  In about 20 years of Adirondack hunting, the 10:1 antlerless:antler ratio has been amazingly consistent for me.  I have spent a lot more time sitting than still-hunting up there so far this season, but all of my sightings have been while still-hunting.      

I am really hoping for some snow up there on Thanksgiving weekend.   Not only does that make the hunting a lot better (easy to spot tracks and deer show up much better), it also takes makes the scenery better.  The scenery is the main reason I go up there (filling the freezer is much easier at home).  

Just got back from up in the North. It was crazy windy and very warm, unseasonably warm!! I didn't see much activity and the lack of snow hampers my style.

I hope to get back up there this weekend and stay until after Thanksgiving; my wife has made it a tradition to cook a turkey and ALL the fixings at camp for the last few years. Nothing better than opening that camp door to smell the turkey and sit by the wood stove after with a full belly...

Best of luck guys !!!

• Like 2

This is important,we need bodies there,we are losing access all over the state...Ray

To: Ray Merlo <[email protected]>
Date: November 11, 2016 at 10:13 PM
Subject: Fw: Sportsmen need to show up. Take Action

Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2016 9:49 AM
Subject: Sportsmen need to show up. Take Action

Directors,    www.accessadk.com gives the information.  The meeting schedule is posted below.  We need all of you to go to your contacts and get more people to attend these meetings.  Give testimony if they like, I can give you information or just sit in the Audience.  The first meeting was in Ray Brook and the green groups show up in numbers to the point they chartered a bus from Albany.  The oral presentations of our group Access the Adirondacks were well done we just need to put more people in the audience.

Dates, locations and times of the public hearings are:
  • 11/9 - APA - 7:00 pm
    1133 NYS Route 86, Ray Brook
  • 11/14 - Northville Central School - 6:00 pm
    131 S. Third Street, Northville
  • 11/16 - Newcomb Central School - 7:00 pm
    5535 NYS Route 28N, Newcomb
  • 11/21 - Schroon Lake Central School - 7:00 pm
    1125 Route 9, Schrool Lake
  • 11/28 - RIT - 7:00 pm
    Golisano Institute for Sustainability in Sustainability Hall, Rochester
  • 11/29 - St. Lawrence County Human Service Center - 6:00 pm
    80 State Highway 310, Canton
  • 12/6 - Bear Mountain Inn - 7:00 pm

3020 Seven Lakes Drive, Tomkins Cove
  • 12/7 - NYSDEC - 2:00 pm
    625 Broadway, Albany
If the every day man  / women can elect a president by simply showing up and voting, just think what the everyday sportsmen can do if we just show up.  Lets get out there and see who we can get to attend.

Chuck Parker

got home from my ten day hunt.didn't score but had a great time saw one busted up buck and a sow with two cubs that was it other then the local does on my property.i think the warm[hot] weather had something to do with it.i learned a lot but still have a long way to go  After 30 years of hunting the land of plenty i wanted a challenge i think i found it.

already looking forward to next season!!!  

• Like 1

On 11/13/2016 at 9:51 PM, wolc123 said:

I just returned from a long weekend up in 6C (Fri, Sat, Sunday).  On Saturday, I finally saw some antlers up there. As I was still-hunting between spots, I noted a four-pointer feeding on red-oak acorns up high on a ridge top.  He got a pass from me this time, but might not if I see him when we go back up for the long Thanksgiving weekend (If I am unable to fill my buck tag on opening weekend at home in the Southern zone).  I also flushed out a doe on Friday, and an unidentified deer this morning while still-hunting between spots.  

I have hunted up there 10 days so far this season, including most of ML season. opening day of gun and this past weekend.   I have seen about 10 deer total, all while still hunting, but only that one set of antlers.  In about 20 years of Adirondack hunting, the 10:1 antlerless:antler ratio has been amazingly consistent for me.  I have spent a lot more time sitting than still-hunting up there so far this season, but all of my sightings have been while still-hunting.      

I am really hoping for some snow up there on Thanksgiving weekend.   Not only does that make the hunting a lot better (easy to spot tracks and deer show up much better), it also takes makes the scenery better.  The scenery is the main reason I go up there (filling the freezer is much easier at home).  

Interesting seeing this now, it seems it all worked out for you :)

• Like 2

The plan all came together for sure with just one (actually 50 or more) little glitches.  That is about how many ticks I picked off of that carcass and killed yesterday, after I hung it up in the garage.   The non-winter last year must have been very good for them buggers.  I hope I don't see any more when skinning tonight, but I highly doubt that I got them all.   The ones in the white hair were easy to find at least.