Big Sheds Down!!!

WNY Bowhunter

Going into my post season scouting, there was one specific buck that I had on my mind and one important question that I was hoping to answer: Did "Wannabe" make it? He was the biggest, oldest and most well known deer that I had on cam this past summer. I pulled all my cams on this farm back in mid-September and had only hunted here a couple times during late season. Although I hadn't heard of any bucks of his caliber being killed in the area...knowing that this buck was a huge homebody and after two weeks of surviallence and no pics of him...I was starting to lose hope.  Well, my hope has been restored...yesterday's card pull proved that the old boy had evaded the orange army once again and surprisingly, he has already sheds his antlers!!! I'm pumped to get out looking for them, but there's another buck that's got to shed first before I go blowing through the bedding area.

Wannabe this summer (5 yrs old):

IMAG0408 (3).jpg

IMAG1498.JPG

• Like 6

What a buck. Good luck finding those sheds (and the sheds of "Hooks"). It really is amazing when you think about how many hunters these older bucks have eluded to make it this far.

Edited by jman22
Editorial
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, also here in wny, u north or in southern teir. By this time last year I had found quite a bit. I know year to year they shed roughly about the same time but have found 2 so far, not for lack of effort. I know I put in well over 10 mi. so far. Anyway when do u typically see deer in the counties u hunt, shed. I'm in Erie/Niagara area, it would seem S. Tier deer would shed earlier with winter hitting faster and harder down there

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

A keen eye for details and 5 yrs of trail cam pics.  You'll see in July when his new antlers start developing.

what is unique about this deer though that you can tell after his antler are gone?