Demascus knife

NYBowhunter

30 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

That knife looks super expensive.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I can't remember how much exactly ,it was a bunch. I told my dad I was gonna get him one for a retirement gift . His exact words were " don't you dare"

• Like 1

I can't remember how much exactly ,it was a bunch. I told my dad I was gonna get him one for a retirement gift . His exact words were " don't you dare"

I checked their website...the bowie's go for 1950 their cheapest was 500. Looks like I will be sticking with my 200 benchmade

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

I checked their website...the bowie's go for 1950 their cheapest was 500. Looks like I will be sticking with my 200 benchmade

I carry a benchmade daily , great knife . I have the 585 partial serated.

I use the grizzly creek myself. Thought I lost my original so I wound up purchasing a new one. Low and behold about a week after I opened my new one I found my old one hidden in my apartment in a bag of my stuff. Needless to say I have one for carrying outside of the city and one I keep in my gun case and use for hunting

• Like 1

I just posted my knife question this morning , we'll see what answers I get.

Now not knowing what you know about handmade or custom knives, I'll say this . The top makers often aren't taking any orders and if they do the wait can be a couple years , and their price reflects the demand .

The trick is the find a new guy who puts out great work, but is not yet recognized as so.  For example years ago I bought a handmade folder from a new maker I just started to hear about , I paid $200 a cheap price for all the work in making a folder I thought . Two years later he was getting $500 for the same knife . Other times one can find a guy who bangs the out decent knives almost like a one man factory .

From what I've seen in my search , one can find some in the $85 range , these seem to,be made over seas and without handling its hard to say if they are any good. I've found some makers with prices in the $300 range for a 3-4 inch fixed blade .

Try a image search and click on ones that appeal to,your eye, and go from  there . 

Often there are makers who can make you a fixed blade for $200 or so, but Damascus takes a bit more work, and of course require forging and some makers only do the stock removal method .

Doesnt appear to be many factory made Damascus .

12 minutes ago, Larry302 said:

I just posted my knife question this morning , we'll see what answers I get.

Now not knowing what you know about handmade or custom knives, I'll say this . The top makers often aren't taking any orders and if they do the wait can be a couple years , and their price reflects the demand .

The trick is the find a new guy who puts out great work, but is not yet recognized as so.  For example years ago I bought a handmade folder from a new maker I just started to hear about , I paid $200 a cheap price for all the work in making a folder I thought . Two years later he was getting $500 for the same knife . Other times one can find a guy who bangs the out decent knives almost like a one man factory .

From what I've seen in my search , one can find some in the $85 range , these seem to,be made over seas and without handling its hard to say if they are any good. I've found some makers with prices in the $300 range for a 3-4 inch fixed blade .

Try a image search and click on ones that appeal to,your eye, and go from  there . 

Often there are makers who can make you a fixed blade for $200 or so, but Damascus takes a bit more work, and of course require forging and some makers only do the stock removal method .

Doesnt appear to be many factory made Damascus .

Thanks for that info., ive been researching and there are quite a few reasonably priced fixed damascus hunting knives that can be found online. Just have to find one that appeals to me. Thanks again.

I placed an order on a knife, should be arriving in a few days. Its an early birthday gift to myself...lol..Ordered from a small forging shop in Georgia. This was not my original choice but after i ordered the guy got back to me in minutes and said he was out of the knife i wanted. He just made a new batch of knives and would give me the knife pictured for the same price even though it was $35 more. This knife is just wider than my original choice and has the extra gut hook near the handle. Guess it worked out for the best as i like this unique looking knife. So heres the specs: demascus skinning blade with double gut hooks, full tang, brass bolsters, dark walnut wood handle, black leather sheath. 

20170111_090357.png

• Like 2

Congrats . One thing you may enjoy is joining Bladeforums.com . The following pics are from their , knife makers market place.  You can talk right t the makers of all levels of knives, have something made to your specs and so on.

while there say hello to Lone Hunter.......

image.png

image.png

image.png

There is a middle man somewhere in the south that takes orders online (I'm digging out the details as I type). The real order took a while but it comes from Middle East. Similar to what NYBow ordered. All and all about $100...

IMG_0281.JPG

IMG_0282.JPG

• Like 1

As with all knives the key is what steel ( in this case steels ) are used, as well as heat treat , grinds, bevels etc.

Handle material , file work, mosaic pins and over all fit and finish can all add much to the cost. As with so many things getting that extra bit of perfection is often the most expensive part of the item .

Enjoy your knives fellas .

NYbowhunter, that knife looks very well made with some nice touches , at that price point !

For the record the last knife I bought ( last week) was a $15 Mora , great knife .

Edited by Larry302

25 minutes ago, Larry302 said:

As with all knives the key is what steel ( in this case steels ) are used, as well as heat treat , grinds, bevels etc.

Handle material , file work, mosaic pins and over all fit and finish can all add much to the cost. As with so many things getting that extra bit of perfection is often the most expensive part of the item .

Enjoy your knives fellas .

NYbowhunter, that knife looks very well made with some nice touches , at that price point !

For the record the last knife I bought ( last week) was a $15 Mora , great knife .

Moras are exactly what I recommend to anyone that needs a quality knife cheap.  Mediocre minds must also think alike.  lol

39 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Not everyone is a fan of Jesse James  (i am) Here is a pilot for a show I really hope makes it to television. All about demascus blade making.Im sure you'll enjoy the episode. SIDE NOTE the truck he drives in the episode is absolutely incredible. 

Not a fan of Jesse, but he turns out some great stuff. I'm sure alot of his personality is TV driven.

58 minutes ago, bkln said:

There is a middle man somewhere in the south that takes orders online (I'm digging out the details as I type). The real order took a while but it comes from Middle East. Similar to what NYBow ordered. All and all about $100...

IMG_0281.JPG

IMG_0282.JPG

I was able to get mine for $65  (which is a $100 knife) only because the guy did not have the one in stock that i ordered  and that he had advertised  as  being available on his website. So for the inconvenience he gave me a $35 discount. The guy was extremely quick and responsive, excellent communication. Now lets hope it comes soon and is as good as the picture..lol

• Like 1