I'm In Need Of A Box Call.

grampy

As I can't find my old HS Strut box call, since moving. Got all my slate and mouth calls, and it should have been with that stuff, but it's not. So I'm going to Bass Pro in Utica in a couple hours. Any suggestions on what would be a good replacement box call? Don't have a lot to spend but I'd like to be all set for the youth season, opener this year. So my grandson and I will have time to practice our calling. Appreciate all replies guy's! 

• Like 1

One more vote for the Lynch Foolproof...

Some sound better than others, but I have never run one that did not sound good enough to call a turkey..

I bought mine in 1977...Back then they were packaged in a cardboard box rather than than a blister

pac.  The shop owner, Doug Henyan of Henyan Sporting Goods in Corning let me open all the boxes and run all of the calls and pick the one I liked the best... It cost me $17 and still is one of my best box calls..

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies!  I'll have to look into the Lynch call for sure! Just got home a bit ago. Tried out a bunch of calls over at BPS. The one that sounded the closest to my old HS Strut call was the Booger Bottom from flextone. Walnut lid with cedar base. One side for raspy aggressive,  the other side for clear and seductive. Kept going from call to call but seemed to always come back to this one! I think it will do just fine. Getting pumped for thunder chicken season already!!!!20170304_202857.jpg

• Like 1

One more vote for the Lynch Foolproof...
Some sound better than others, but I have never run one that did not sound good enough to call a turkey..
I bought mine in 1977...Back then they were packaged in a cardboard box rather than than a blister
pac.  The shop owner, Doug Henyan of Henyan Sporting Goods in Corning let me open all the boxes and run all of the calls and pick the one I liked the best... It cost me $17 and still is one of my best box calls..

He let a 45 year old man run all the calls in his store?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bill Schmidt said:

I think that the Lynch-World Champion is hard to beat. I bought mine around 1992 or so . The World Champion came out in 1958 and turkey hunters still buy them!!  The gobbler side is perfect for old- Boss hen yelps.

I called in my first gobbler with a Lynch World Champion....I bought mine in 1968, the same year I graduated from high school...It was made in Birmingham,Alabama and the paddle grip is hand carved rather than band sawed as the later ones are...

I have retired it now..I have enough other calls to use to take the risk of losing it in the woods, sitting on it or otherwise damaging it...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Was over my fathers this weekend talking turkey with him.Went back after work today to set up for the storm tomorrow.He gave me a bag of old hunting gear.Just dug through it and found a 37 year old box call still in the box it's a p.s olt turkey gobbler call.It's still in good shape except for the elastic cord that held it closed.so i chalked it up it sounds pretty good.I'm thinking of using it this fall.

the price tag said $9.99 lol

34 minutes ago, rachunter said:

call still in the box it's a p.s olt turkey gobbler call.It's still in good shape except for the elastic cord that held it closed.so i chalked it up it sounds pretty good.I'm thinking of using it this fall.

the price tag said $9.99 lol

$ 70.00 on e-bay

http://www.cornersolidbrace.com/solids/bke-26/olt-turkey-calls&performance=feedback&drive_change.html