Wood duck nesting boxes

TACC

I have just started researching these and have just finished building 4 of them. It was pretty simple, now we will see if we have any results next year. Since we do have an active wood duck population in our area I figured it couldn't hurt to help increase their odds of survival.

I was just hoping some members would have some personal experiences that would increase my chances and would pass through along.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

There are directions , instructions and diagrams in the New York Outdoor News showing how to make them . I think they tell how to make them Raccoon Proof . 

Coon proofing them is key from what I've heard My brothers used to make them and put them up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I built two a couple years ago and they're still in my garage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard of staying close to home for hunting season, but I think that is pushing the limits a little.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I had two boxes I put up late winter last year, both had nests in them within a few weeks.  They do like the cedar chips in there.  I bought a bag at a pet shop, looks like I'll have a lifetime supply!  I have the tin for the coon guard but have yet to cut it out and put it on the post.  Not a bad project for this evening. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, cynthiafu said:

We will put it up after  the snow melts alittle more. I have to find my ladder lol

Do it ASAP. As soon as the water opens back up, ducks will get to work. Hooded mergansers use them too. I've seen hoodys with young in early April after a warm winter.

I've got a kestrel box to put up, and I need to do bluebird house cleaning and maintenance.  The snow is still too deep here too. 

• Like 1

Hubby put 

6 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Do it ASAP. As soon as the water opens back up, ducks will get to work. Hooded mergansers use them too. I've seen hoodys with young in early April after a warm winter.

I've got a kestrel box to put up, and I need to do bluebird house cleaning and maintenance.  The snow is still too deep here too. 

Hubby put it up for me today and hooked up the camera 

IMG_20170321_140324935.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Ok ok now I am hooked what kind of nest box do you do for the kestrel??? We have a peregrine falcon would he use it????

I just googled that this weekend and good instructions s are easy to find.

If you put two within a few feet of each other the wrens can go in one and bluebirds go in the other.  They work it out somehow.  Also you should be sure to space the bluebird houses about 100 yards apart, there is even competition amount the bluebirds for nesting sites.    

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cynthiafu said:

Ok ok now I am hooked what kind of nest box do you do for the kestrel??? We have a peregrine falcon would he use it????

C, 

Peregrines nest on cliffs and structures that seem like them  -  bridges, tall buildings.

Kestrel boxes and screech owl boxes are the same, although kestrels are open country birds while owls prefer a bit more cover. That said, screech owls regularly use kestrel and wood duck boxes in various habitats. Duck boxes are bigger but I make the hole the same size.

Plans, http://nestwatch.org/learn/all-about-birdhouses/birds/american-kestrel/

A Google search will get you plenty more. 

• 1 month later...