Chainsaw work and PPE

9 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

In this episode ,a gentleman found out that chainsaws are not a toy.

Yeah, he's doing a few things foolish there. It looks like he's aiming his cut with the saw up around his neck and face. He's lucky it didn't turn out much, much worse. Anytime the saw is up higher than ones chest, control of the saw is greatly reduced.

I have a smallish tree that's leaning on our fence that needs to come down. I tried a bow saw and that ain't happening. I'll admit I'm deathly afraid of chainsaws as I've never used one. Never needed to. Borrowed my dads electric chainsaw. Better off with the saw blade on my Swiss Army knife .

Thursday morning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bar got wrapped in his shirt.

That is one lucky dude! For what little chain sawing I do I always wear boots and gloves ear and eye protection. Of course my jeans will be no match for chainsaw but I'm really vigilant while working with one. Take my time and won't do anything questionable. Most of my work is trees already on the ground. I have a great respect for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, 46rkl said:

I run a chain saw maybe 25 days a year. Clearing brush 2-3 times a year and the rest cutting up purchased logs for firewood. So I'm certainly not a professional but I've been doing this for 25 years and I have always tried to minimize the risk to myself with a quality helmet/ face screen/ear mufflers, chaps and steel toed boots. I also wear gloves but not loose ones. I avoid loose clothing but it's almost always Carhart pants and flannel shirts. 

The few near misse that I've had have always been a result of careless moves by me, and coupled with being overtired. I have to keep reminding myself,"there's always tomorrow.". And then I go have a beer....

be careful with flannels. something tighter is your friend, just like your gloves

another rookie mistake I've seen that bites people is not reviewing your cutting path on an already felled tree. It's often the little branches and twigs in the way, or if you're in the woods another sapling or something near by that will catch your chain as you're sawing. A clear path is almost always error proof. This is why you see mistakes when people are tired and fatigued. They stop prepping their cuts so that they can just "get it done".

16 minutes ago, Belo said:

another rookie mistake I've seen that bites people is not reviewing your cutting path on an already felled tree. It's often the little branches and twigs in the way, or if you're in the woods another sapling or something near by that will catch your chain as you're sawing. A clear path is almost always error proof. This is why you see mistakes when people are tired and fatigued. They stop prepping their cuts so that they can just "get it done".

I watched my buddy trim a limb,simple quick job . The limb hit the ground at which point the branches got compressed causing the limb to push towards the ladder he was on and knock it out from underneith him.

13 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I watched my buddy trim a limb,simple quick job . The limb hit the ground at which point the branches got compressed causing the limb to push towards the ladder he was on and knock it out from underneith him.

I've almost knocked myself off ladders twice even with careful planning. I bought an extension pole saw that attached to my troybilt. Doesn't get super high, but it's just not worth the risk.