strangest thing you have seen/heard in the woods?

greene county

In 1998 heard a crunch crunch coming my way didn't sound like a deer, kind of like a man walking but wth an enormus stride. for 5 min i could hear it and then i saw something large and black almost hovering 3 ft off the ground.my heart was racing.... a couple of steps and it would be  in the clear..... it was...an Osterch!!! ..... must of escaped from someones farm... made a few calls to neighbors and a man came to round up his lost livestock.  I always wonder if i could of got away with shooting it as a turkey?? lol

In 1998 heard a crunch crunch coming my way didn't sound like a deer, kind of like a man walking but wth an enormus stride. for 5 min i could hear it and then i saw something large and black almost hovering 3 ft off the ground.my heart was racing.... a couple of steps and it would be  in the clear..... it was...an Osterch!!! ..... must of escaped from someones farm... made a few calls to neighbors and a man came to round up his lost livestock.  I always wonder if i could of got away with shooting it as a turkey?? lol

My daughter was fishing with me down by Hemolck Lake and she swears she saw on in the woods there too.....I tease her all the time about it.

Bow hunting letchworth on a nice fall day.As you know hikers are one the park also.Iwas on the bottom with a buddy on the west side and caught movement on a nice open point up on the east side.Well a guy and his girl must have got tired or planed a pinic.Well ofcourse i had to watch with binocs every now and then.Well it didnt take long and they were...well.. you can guess what they were doing.I called my buddy on the radio and sure enough he was watchin the show...Well tell me you would'nt have.lol

Must have been one of those CAMERON girls...They're pretty SCARY alright... :) .....

Cameron girls... you got that right D!

Got to see something similar to Four Season Whitetails one year.  Was archery hunting in a hollow one sunny afternoon when I heard some screaming.  Across the valley was my host's daughter and her boyfriend running through an open wheat field... clothes flying through the air after taking them off, and then came the tumbling. I KNEW I should have gone back after my binoculars when I discovered I had left them in the truck earlier!  (Hey Pigmy... you know her).

Same woods, different time - had the paint pony of the girl in the above incident walk up to me while I was archery hunting.  That damn horse was always breaking through the fence.

One of the first trips my son tagged along, he was about 10, we were still hunting/scoutning this pond edge in the catskills, by the Russel Brook. Swampy stuff, Big grass mounds, blowdowns, ect.. Saw some game trails, a few bear scat/prints.. We were silent, moving slow.. Then a LOUD growl, like we never heard before, (or since) from somewhere close, REALLYCLOSE. I slowly turned back, my son looked petrified, about to cry.. I'm kinda light complexion, but I probably looked like Casper at that moment myself. My son & I locked eyes, I loaded one in the chamber, &  said "Time to go, follow me & we're backtracking out the same way.. "

Never saw any animal, but I'm really glad for it..  Wife didn't want him to come in the first place, and if there was any type of 'incident' I'd be toast-ed!

While out in Wyoming hunting mulies,my best friend, step uncle and I split up a few hundred yards apart,maybe as much as a half mile,I was just sitting and hunting,watching a trail, waiting for a deer to pass,when I could hear the faint screams of some kids.Well I figured it was just the wind and did'nt pay much attention.A short while after though,the sound was louder and much more precise.....warning flags went up in my brain and hairs stood up on my back......Christ,that is kids in trouble! I looked all around and could'nt find the kids.This went on a couple times...till finally we had to meet up and head back to the truck.I had'nt said anything to my bud,and step uncle for the obvious reason, getting picked on.

We went back to camp,changed into our regular clothes and while sitting in the camper,I noticed that none of us,had spoken even 1 word to each other for all the time it took to get our hunting gear put away and such.Well I sat down on my bed roll and lit a smoke,cracked a beer and at about the same damn time we all said "did you @#ing hear the kids screaming up there?".....that boiled into conversation that only true friends could imagine.The honesty was foward and there was no BS or bustin each other.

After a couple beers,we went over to the bar,as we did every night while there,and finally told the bar tender about what we had expirienced...and fearing the worse,were ready to be laughed outa the place.There happened to be a local there that was indian and some others that had been listening in.They asked us exactly where were we when we heard the sounds of screaming kids....and we told them.

The story we got was something like this.....many years ago,there was a school there at the base of that cliff,down in the bowl,near the flat.One winter,there was a heavy snow fall and the kids were out playing in the school yard.There was a terrible avalanche and all were killed.

Now I don't care what you believe in,but the people in that bar were'nt laughing when telling us the story. Needless to say it was extraordinary,and I will never forget it....3 sober grownups,maybe half a mile apart on the same mountain,hearing the same exact thing...screaming children.

Thanks single shot, now the hair on my neck is sticking up!    Well here is my strange story.I was bowhunting Letchworth Park one Sun afternoon in the 90's when I started hearing a strange blowing noise that would last for only a few seconds,stop and repeat a few more seconds later.I spotted some movement through the trees and low and behold a hot air balloon came rising up out of the gorge so close that I probably could have hit it with an arrow.The noise I heard was the flame igniting for the hot air to make the balloon rise.

Also another time heard a couple kids whooping it up by a car that they had pulled off the road by the MT. Morris Dam.My cousin watched from his treestand as the couple tested the strength of the hood on the car-horizontally. :-[