new spy point model coming soon

The only bad part about the spy points are the night pics. They are super blurry. Any movement at all and forget about it. Once they fix that they would be excellent cameras. I bought a Force 10 last summer which is basically the same as the 11 and 12 and the day pics were great but night pics you couldn't see anything at all. I really liked the controls on it though, really easy to program. I've been watching reviews like a hawk to see when they fix the blurry night time pics, once they do I'll grab another one. The solar idea is cool too, and supposedly works great

Does the force 10 have adjustable night settings, my 11D does and I believe it's set to optimum, the night pics are better then if left in the other settings . Enough so that I'd buy another one . This cell  cam has my attention for sure .

Steve

Edited by sbuff

Ya the 10 had the adjustable night settings. It helped some. But not enough. It would be a good camera over a bait pile where they stand still for longer. But I couldn't stand the blur at night when they were just walking along. Made it impossible to see what was what. I was bummed because the rest of the camera was great. Once that issue is fixed I'll try another one for sure

I'm waiting to see how well their solar cam that was introduce does...I'd like one of those...

Trailcampro sells "used" cameras that were used in their tests and shootouts. They have a solar spy point on their website for $139 vs $199 regular price. Comes with lithium batteries and a 8gb card. Pretty good deal if you were looking for one, came across it and thought of ya.

On 7/3/2017 at 8:22 AM, growalot said:

I'm waiting to see how well their solar cam that was introduce does...I'd like one of those...

Heard from a couple people who had them and were not pleased with them at all. Cant remember why, think battery life and pic quality. It looks like a great setup but, i wanted to see some reviews or hear first hand on it first before buying. I know after reading some reviews online about most any product, you can tell the people who know and dont know a thing about the product they are reviewing lol  

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 6:41 PM, sbuff said:

Does the force 10 have adjustable night settings, my 11D does and I believe it's set to optimum, the night pics are better then if left in the other settings . Enough so that I'd buy another one . This cell  cam has my attention for sure .

Steve

I had the Force 10 and kept it in "Optimal" flash mode as well. The boost mode just extended the shutter speed to let more light in increasing motion blurr on moving critters. I think it's shutter speed was a dismal 1/7'th second in boost mode. I wasn't crazy about that seeing I never really needed an extended flash range for field set ups or anything like that. I really liked that cam over scrapes and got some pretty nice series from it. My biggest complaint with the Spypoint was the flat day time pics with little contrast and color, but that was just my personal peeve from a picture quality standpoint..

I would counter the poor shutter speeds at night by setting the picture delay to "instant" mode. It would usually record enough pics that I would get a few keepers even if the rest of the bunch were blurry.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

• Like 2

Got any field edge night pics Wooly? Those pics have sufficient backdrop to hide Spypoint's weak nighttime illumination.

The Evo is akin to a bottom edge sports car. Sounds and looks great on paper - but in reality is red flash with limited night distance, and 640x480 images. For $75 more, you can get a camera that'll send 1280x960 size images with ability to download HD/full res images and blackflash with much better night image quality.

Some of the positives about the camera are the free data plan for 100 pics a month; however, it's a bit of a ploy. the monthly cost to operate is $15 if you want unlimited images - which is 33-50% more per month than competitors. And those $15 per month still only get you 640x480 image size.

I do like the overall case design. I do like the ease of setup.Trigger and recovery are fast. That however, doesn't make the cam a buy right now. They need to fix the night images and generate at least 1280 image size. I am hesitant to think they will upgrade to 1280 because that size uses more data and the "free" package would bear 5x more cost for Spypoint.

Edited by phade

7 minutes ago, phade said:

Got any field edge night pics Wooly? Those pics have sufficient backdrop to hide Spypoint's weak nighttime illumination.

Unfortunately I didn't save any of those, but I know what you're talking about.

Very rarely I set cams on field edges so it was never a big concern of mine.

Ah, bummer. Don't see alot of ppl posting them.

Any chance you have series of close up pics? With the poor illumination I suspect the Spypoints do not adjust much at night. Do the parameters show wide changes in ISO/Exposure time?

Daytime pics seem to be locked in at ISO 100 no matter what the conditions are like. Exposure times vary but don't deviate ANY in regard to how close the critter gets to the lens.

All night time shots are locked in at ISO 400. Exposure times between 1/7S and 1/30S depending on flash mode setting. (optimal or boost)

Both day and night pics were taken in "average metering mode". I'm assuming that means "center weighted metering" rather than taking a reading from the entire scene. Count on any close-ups being blown out snowballs!

PICT0149_01.JPG

Plus you can get 640 images from a basic cell cam for less than $250. This camera was like $150-160.

82097ee29c5377342f6f071ca2e248a6.jpg&key=a9f2a6e3a79a021daed05b693922df6ba2dd9507a45e94e4d2450e321402f50d73ea7ed3a3b70926c07992c206a54fa3.jpg&key=2ba2e85dd1c080bb774e095628ac19c2dc937ae194729f8d2a79850f2330cf57035e69deffe8ef79ef693561381b877c.jpg&key=cab36849f585ca2dd270508d29c36ab36bc3f447f2218eccd00d911554a03bbb265e4681918f8bf319b2a8026afff477.jpg&key=f6489e29d31497068c4044f8090945d407cb4745d86716954d780ce6b13a8fa2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe I missed it but have you given a run down on those cheap cell cams yet? I remember you talked about them in another thread saying you'd get back to us about them. If I missed you report back my bad. But how are they doing?

They work very well. I'm running two different types and both are plugging away.

I've just found that there is little to no market for it unfortunately. The people who want a cheap cell cam tend to have expectations that cannot be met. Largely they are the people that should just wait another few years because they are not ready to wade into cell cams.

The evo is a prime example. The consumer base will be pumped but then complain they can't see anything clear on the sent pics. Unknowingly many will end up spending more because of the service costs than if they just went and bought a model that would have met expectations from the start. The quandary is they don't want to spend the upfront cost.

If you do want one you can certainly pm me and I can walk you through the process. But I'm not planning to "mass market them" due to consumer research results. It's not "everyone" but the problem becomes scale. The few people who have realistic expectations are good candidates but they literally are a few % of the consumer base and it makes the economics and math not work well to sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk