Spring scouting

G-Man

Well april 1st is almost upon us, for me that means trout fishing and turkey scouting! I like to trout fish early and listen for the birds on the roost, later you can hear them walking the ridges gobbling as they go,holding up in a spot (strut area). Best part is i might even catch a few fish! Any one have a method or tradional way they scout?

I start scouting around the 1st of April by rideing around glassing the fields,power lines, pipe lines ect. Starting two weeks before the opener I'll start using one of my Gobbler calls that I make to local birds. Usually when I find birds that answer my gobble call I'll go back to the same spot and try to raise a gobble again. By the opener a have 1/2 a dozen birds home range figured out!!! when opening day comes I have more than one option to chose from. Here's a picture of my gobble box's.

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0307.jpg

Bigtom,

Great looking calls, I'd like to hear how they sound. Do you sell them too?

My best way to locate and scout toms is to sit on my front porch and listen to them gobble on roost in the mornings and evenings. On a good morning, I can hear about 8 toms in a couple of different directions. Either I'm spoiled with a great hunting area or maybe just getting older. It seems that the older and slower I get the better hunter I become.

rt now with the cams and plotwatchers out...I'm letting them do the scouting....Seems the birds are following the deer around looking for food.... the deer are still hitting the native grasses...digging through the snow ...and the turkeys are scratching up huge areas  looking for food...but both have found the left over turnips and the winter rye...nice getting times and different spots :D

never hurts to ask ...and better to ask now than later, even if you want to hunt it end of the season.

I know you are right.That area is just outside of a village.I would be very surprised if people didn't hunt there,but you never know.I would like to bow hunt there too,I would save some fuel costs.Only one way to find out.