Sound

tj1187

The wind makes a big difference as does whether the shooter is facing in your direction or directly away from you..

The area where I hunt gobblers in Canada is lake plains...Very flat....It also tends to be quite breezy..There have been times when my partner and I shot  within a few hundred yards of each other ( with 12 gauge magnum shotguns)  and one or the other of us did not hear the shot..

We have some very deep and narrow valleys. Sounds bounce all over the place such that unless it's very close, sometimes you can't even tell where it is even coming from. What makes it real tough is when I am hunting our side hill, and my Brother-in-law is up on top and away from the edge. It is amazing how impossible it is to gauge distance in that situation. There have been times when I swore it was him shooting, only to find out that the shooting was coming from a log distance farther back.

Hhmmmm....these answers surprise me a bit...living in the hills and on one side of a lake valley sound travels strangly here . I've mentioned it before. But still pin pointing and hearing distant shots has never been a problem.. when the nieghbor was nearly shot  a half mile up the hill from me. She couldnt tell where the shot came from. I told officer Hill exactly where it did and I walked him to the area. He went over their property line and found the casings 50 yards in while I found the trees they hit infront of her stand. Theres a gun club miles from us and their shooting range is rather loud here. During water fowl season I can pick up the faint sounds and these are faint, of shot guns at the end of Conesus lake in the management unit there,also guys on Hemlock lake..

According to google maps, there was 3.68 miles between where i was sitting and a friend of mine last year.  He was using a 12ga and I heard his shot faintly.  Enough so that i was expecting his text about a minute later that he filled his DMP for that area.  Instead he facetimed me to brag :)

Edited by 22Plinker

How much does direction of the shot incur the volume you hear it ? For instance someone on the other side of the road on hill facing toward me and probably a good mile and a half sounds louder than the same shot when they are facing away from my direction. You can hear the difference in some of those 5 shot volleys and the direction they are starting to shoot and ending up dumping the last golden bullet. .

I can hear shots miles away echoing through the hills .

Just noticed TACC mentioned direction

Snow also will dampen sound

Edited by turkeyfeathers