Change in head weight

zeus1gdsm

Still battling my bow. After 2 seasons. Closest I can get poim is 2-3 inches between broadheads and field points.

Thinking about trying a lighter head.

Shooting 32inch 350 carbons.

How will dropping my head weight by 25grains affect where the arrow hits with my current sight?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Try Rage, there is a reason many of us like them.  One is they are very close to field tips in so far as impact point.  If it is a high or low shot you can simply adjust the sight or compensate.  Mine are slightly low.  The broad heads weight slightly lower than my 100 grain tips but somehow hit lower, resistance of the blades in the air I figure?  If you have the same issue of slightly low impact simply adjust your sight.  1/2 inch at 40 yards difference with practice tips.  I will test actual broad heads soon but slightly low is acceptable for me.  

I got some of the chinadermics. They were supposed to be 125 but came in at 120.

I shoot the 100 grain China dermics I've had no issues with poi compared to field tips I'd try a paper tuning or maybe walk back tuning see if that's right

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Original Mathews Solocam 50lbs . 30in draw.

Shooting carbon express whitetail 350 32in length.

125 grain. Bullet points.

125 grain muzzy 3 blade

Trophy ridge elevation/bondage adjustable biscuit

5pin small dot sight

Strings as far as I can tell are original. But the bow was lightly used prior to my owning. Had bow gone through last year by a pro shop they signed off.

Broads are hitting 2-3inches right and 1inch low.

Chased circles papertuning last year for a couple weeks.. got good tears finally and still had the impact differences.. last season I just adjusted the sight to the broad heads for the season.

Haven't given the China's a good shot yet. Thursday I'm gonna get some more field tips to accommodate the chinadermics weight.

I should add that I index my knocks and broadheads.

And have a spinner to check arrows.

I also bought bow square and snap on levels last year during my paper tuning. Used them to set rest etc. Following online guides

I would hesitate to use mechanicals at 50lbs even with a 30" DL.  Assuming you are rt handed , Sounds like the arrows may be weak.  Can you cut them?  Inch off and slightly lowering nock point may resolve it.  Or do you have a spine stiffer?  Minimally 100g should bring fp and BH closer. 

• Like 2

Good advice given, I agree with arrow spine is a little weak. Strings being that old are probably shot out,and cam is out of tune. But since this is your last year with it. Move your sight to the broadheads and go hunting. 

6 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Good advice given, I agree with arrow spine is a little weak. Strings being that old are probably shot out,and cam is out of tune. But since this is your last year with it. Move your sight to the broadheads and go hunting. 

I am no archery guru but this is the first time I have heard that term. I know strings stretch but if it is still in good condition how do they get "shot out"?

Culvercreak

All strings and cable material has a give / elasticity to them , they have to or it would be very hard on the bow. Newer prestretched strings have come a long ways from even a few years ago, but all string material with age will reach its limits and will loose this ability. This permanent stretch is what sends cams out of sinc and will let single cams go out of optimum rotation causing weird nock travel etc. for both systems . Now you can twist up your string and cables to bring back your timing etc. but you will not have a as forgiving tune with a worn out set of strings . The string set may look ok but can still be worn out .

Edited by rob-c

1 hour ago, rob-c said:

Culvercreak

All strings and cable material has a give / elasticity to them , they have to or it would be very hard on the bow. Newer prestretched strings have come a long ways from even a few years ago, but all string material with age will reach its limits and will loose this ability. This permanent stretch is what sends cams out of sinc and will let single cams go out of optimum rotation causing weird nock travel etc. for both systems . Now you can twist up your string and cables to bring back your timing etc. but you will not have a as forgiving tune with a worn out set of strings . The string set may look ok but can still be worn out .

Is there a typical shot count or age that you can go by or is there some "signs" that this is happening?

Well yes and no . Your cams going out of sinc is a major sign , the problem with that is as you shoot the strings stretch minimal amounts over time and you the shooter don't notice it. Also factors such as how often you wax a string/ how dirty it gets /number of shots/ how much heat ( if you leave your bow in a hot car all day )  and believe it or not how light or heavy of a arrow . A light arrow will make a string "flex more" vs a heavy arrow. Me personally I change strings and cables every 3-4 years . 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rob-c said:

Well yes and no . Your cams going out of sinc is a major factor, the problem with that is as you shoot the strings stretch minimal amounts over time and you the shooter don't notice it. Also factors such as how often you wax a string/ how dirty it gets /number of shots/ how much heat ( if you leave your bow in a hot car all day )  and believe it or not how light or heavy of a arrow . A light arrow will make a string "flex more" vs a heavy arrow. Me personally I change strings and cables every 3-4 years . 

You aren't a politician by any chance are you? lol.  seemed liek how a politician would answer a question. Just kidding. Thanks. 

3 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

You aren't a politician by any chance are you? lol.  seemed liek how a politician would answer a question. Just kidding. Thanks. 

Lol no. There's just a lot of things that affect the life of the strings . 

• Like 2

If you still have issues see a bow tech that can have you shoot broad heads.  A really good tech will figure it out, way to much for me to play around with but things like putting a half twist on one loop or changing weight of the arrow or draw weight all makes a big difference.  I find when thing are off so much that a slight adjustments of the arrow rest does not fix it then usually something is not right on the set up.  EX:  Too light arrows, tips, improperly adjusted cams, string issues, knock height etc. 

Good techs with experience do so much more than your average Joe who had a bow press and thinks he knows what he is doing.  Almost like the parent that says "My kid knows everything about computers.  Can you fix it for him?"  lol