Shot some guns today

turkeyfeathers

Just beat the rain too. Sighted in daughters Remington youth 870 20 gauge after putting slug barrel back on and turkey tube off. Thanks again buckmaster7600 for generously sending barrel her way. Ran a few Winchester bri sabots through it and it's dreamy There will be a deer or two falling to it this year. Then put some holes in an old frying pan the Mrs doesn't use anymore. Holes compliments of Ruger super Blackhawk .44 and Taurus .45. Haven't shot the .45 in awhile and was less snappy then I remember. ( it's a Taurus I know but please don't bash as it doesn't get much daylight compared to a few other carry guns ) Rang the pan at 50 yards pretty well with the .44 4785db9c94931714aebc74eac9681561.jpg1554a092c0a7dd1e337a4a25ab83e552.jpg

Switched loads on the Winchester Apex ML this year. Hornady Whitetail now but still 240 's. Was expecting some scope work. Nope. First shot high at 25 yards and dead on at 100. Shot with sticks from turkey strut chair. Now to clean some guns 6ca7d49ca80a1837109c6844d3670242.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 10

Nice shooting, What powder were you using in the ML? I have a Winchester apex magnum and have only used 777 and power belts. I have owned the gun since 2004 but never shot a deer with it. Looking to maybe change that this year. Our new property doesn't really have any long range shots so I'm thinking it's time to break out my old 20 gauge or the ML sad part is my rifle is cheaper to shoot than the shotgun with sabots.

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1

Nice shooting, What powder were you using in the ML? I have a Winchester apex magnum and have only used 777 and power belts. I have owned the gun since 2004 but never shot a deer with it. Looking to maybe change that this year. Our new property doesn't really have any long range shots so I'm thinking it's time to break out my old 20 gauge or the ML sad part is my rifle is cheaper to shoot than the shotgun with sabots.

2 50 grain pellets of 777. Pure tack driver with some good optics too. Killed probably last 9 of 10 with the ML. Other was .44 last year. Tote it regular season through ML season Used to save empty shotgun hulls from deer I killed for window sill. Spent primers aren't as impressive up there lol. Way more confident with it over slug gun. One shot , make it count and gun feels more like a part of me. Maybe ditch the Powerbelts as I've heard some poor reviews. Believe I was shooting Shockwaves until dialing in with these Whitetail sabots. With no dialing in required . Take out the ml as your primary gun , you'll be happy you did. A lot of guys on here do

• Like 1

2 50 grain pellets of 777. Pure tack driver with some good optics too. Killed probably last 9 of 10 with the ML. Other was .44 last year. Tote it regular season through ML season Used to save empty shotgun hulls from deer I killed for window sill. Spent primers aren't as impressive up there lol. Way more confident with it over slug gun. One shot , make it count and gun feels more like a part of me. Maybe ditch the Powerbelts as I've heard some poor reviews. Believe I was shooting Shockwaves until dialing in with these Whitetail sabots. With no dialing in required . Take out the ml as your primary gun , you'll be happy you did. A lot of guys on here do

I carry mine exclusively thru gun

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Ok thanks, I'll look into them. How is the ease of loading after a couple shots does the barrel Lead up badly with plastic? I liked the power belts because after going to the range and shooting a couple I didn't have to clean the gun to get all the residue out. They flew pretty good not a real tight group though. My ML doesn't have a scope or anything just open sights. We used to do some pushes at the end of the season and I couldn't get used to close range moving shots.

Ok thanks, I'll look into them. How is the ease of loading after a couple shots does the barrel Lead up badly with plastic? I liked the power belts because after going to the range and shooting a couple I didn't have to clean the gun to get all the residue out. They flew pretty good not a real tight group though. My ML doesn't have a scope or anything just open sights. We used to do some pushes at the end of the season and I couldn't get used to close range moving shots.

I've put 5 and 6 down range before pulling breech plug and wetting a patch to ram through. I always shoot with a clean barrel to hunt and have noticed after 5/6 accuracy diminishes a bit. You still have time to mount up some optics if you wanted. Guys on here can help you with that without breaking the bank. I marked the ram rod with where it should be with full seated sabot and 2 pellets to know I'm down all the way.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I've put 5 and 6 down range before pulling breech plug and wetting a patch to ram through. I always shoot with a clean barrel to hunt and have noticed after 5/6 accuracy diminishes a bit. You still have time to mount up some optics if you wanted. Guys on here can help you with that without breaking the bank. I marked the ram rod with where it should be with full seated sabot and 2 pellets to know I'm down all the way.

Ok thanks, For now I'm just going with the open sights. Right now money is kind of tight with our house remodel. Seems like every time we make a budget it gets blown out of the water. I'm sure I could steal a scope of one of my other guns but 50 yards will likely be the longest shot I'll be able to take on my property.

Edited by chas0218

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Range day? Every day is a range day! You guys have to get some steel plates set up out the back door!

Would absolutely love to have that option. Sadly being in the village and my neighbor a cop it wouldn't go over so well    Went to use my buddies bathroom and take a leak a few weeks back. His .17 was in the corner of the bathroom .. " Great angle for chucks in the veggie garden" he said

• Like 1