First Woodchuck of the year

firehunter48

So i went outside to take the dog out a little bit ago and caught something out of the corner of my eye. Low and behold, damn woodchuck crawling along the rock wall in the backyard between the yard and the fence. So with a four month old puppy (beagle/lab mix adorable as hell btw) i think Mr. Chucky is going to have to be introduced to Mr XX75 out of the PSE.

Am i wrong in thinking that the dog would beyond loose the battle between the 2 of them if she got to it? Now mind you that I and the wife can keep good control of her when we take her out but its the kids taking her out that i worry about her getting out of control and seeing something that she thinks is her newest play toy......lol. I really dont know what a chuck would do to a dog (puppy) if they got into it.

any thoughts suggestions would be appreciated...

I think it would depend on the dog, your's would probaly lack the prey drive to do much harm. It would be best to take care of it on your own and leave the dog inside. Some dogs would not have much problem killing a chuck.

I have noticed the prey drive in my dog has gone way up the older he gets. The Squirells are in trouble around my yard, my dog came about an inch from getting one on Friday. Of course it goes on to any thing furry or bird like that he see's too, which could be a problem for the neighbor's kitty's.

I think that an adult woodchuck would kick the snot out of ANY 4 month old pup...

I remember one of my 6 month old springer pups easily defeating a grey squirrel, but a big ol' woodchuck is a formidable task, and I suspect that your pup would take the worst of it...

Sounds like a little early archery practice is in order... The damn things aren't GOOD to have around the homestead anyway..

SHOOT STRAIGHT.... ;D ....

I have eaten a number of them, Dave...

The young of the year, taken when about half grown, are very good...Similar to rabbit  or squirrel...

The adults tend to be stronger tasting, tougher and somewhat fatty and gristley...

I have eaten a number of them, Dave...

The young of the year, taken when about half grown, are very good...Similar to rabbit  or squirrel...

The adults tend to be stronger tasting, tougher and somewhat fatty and gristley...

Thanks Pygmy I have meadow around my house but never see any chucks. I cut all season so there is plenty of grass but no chucks. I would like to get one and cookem up.

Dave

In the last few years, since coyotes have become numerous, the woodchuck population has plumetted, at least the ones that live in pastures and hayfields.. I think that the 'yotes are very adept at hunting them...There are still woodchucks around, but most of them live in the road ditches and around people's houses and buildings, where it is tougher for the 'yotes to catch them..

Years ago, I used to have lots of fun shooting them, but it's become a thing of the past, at least in most of the places where I used to hunt them...

It's the same way in Southern Ontario, where I hunt gobblers... Woodchucks used to be thick up there, but since the coyotes moved in you hardly ever see one... My Canadian buddy whom I hunt with told me he used to kill plenty with his bow, but now it is rare to see one, at least in an open field..

On the other hand, he and I usually kill several coyotes every season  while we are hunting gobblers..

In the last few years, since coyotes have become numerous, the woodchuck population has plumetted, at least the ones that live in pastures and hayfields.. I think that the 'yotes are very adept at hunting them...There are still woodchucks around, but most of them live in the road ditches and around people's houses and buildings, where it is tougher for the 'yotes to catch them..

Years ago, I used to have lots of fun shooting them, but it's become a thing of the past, at least in most of the places where I used to hunt them...

It's the same way in Southern Ontario, where I hunt gobblers... Woodchucks used to be thick up there, but since the coyotes moved in you hardly ever see one... My Canadian buddy whom I hunt with told me he used to kill plenty with his bow, but now it is rare to see one, at least in an open field..

On the other hand, he and I usually kill several coyotes every season  while we are hunting gobblers..

I hunt down in the southern tier and you must be right there is very little small game around must be coyotes. All bow and gun season I didn't see any small game except for a few grouse that scared the s--- out of me. I have permission to hunt rabbits out on eastern Long Island but just for opening day that's it and we usually do pretty good. Last year we got 8 rabbits and jumped 2 fox sunning in a meadow they were the size of a small german shepard. We are bordered by a winery so the fox eat well. Grapes and rabbit.

Dave

We were in Williamson getting our Taxes done and I ran into a woman that I had shot woodchucks for in the past . She said a friend who has property in Walworth has chucks in the yard of an old house he owns . I told her that the way the houses are situated , it wouldn't be safe to shoot a gun around there but ........ it made me think that it might be fun to try my luck with the bow this summer . By then gas will probably be up to $4 a gallon !